What's new

Curious. How do y'all hang your strops from the wall?

So we are really tight with our finances.

Maybe “tight” is not the correct word. We are very calculated, and watch our finances and investments closely.

Personally, we get our monthly credit card statements on the 8th...where we look over everything, and pay the balance in full. (That way we pay no extravagant interest rates ).

So...yesterday was the 8th. And I purchased the two Naniwa stones while she was sleeping.

We will not assess our statement for another 30 days. So that gives me 30 days to pamper her, and encourage her to purchase something really nice for herself this month.

And it’s gotta be more expensive than the two stones combined.

It’ll all be good by the 8th of next month. 😁

Strategic?

Yes.

But also married for 12 years. And the knowledge gained makes my life easier. 😂

Wisdom! I'm off to check the cutoff days on our credit cards.

Right now I'm trying to cash in on her long-sought kitchen remodel, to be finished tomorrow. 🤞🏼 That should be worth several years of going off the rails on shave purchases, but I'll be lucky to get shave pennies on the kitchen dollar. That would still buy me some nice SRs and a bit of strop inventory.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I try to avoid overcrowding, so I have a few different places where mine hang.
20200709_180919[1].jpg

In the den
20200709_180751[1].jpg

The shaving zone.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Being a bit OCD, I changed-out the older-looking screw-in loop, for a shiny stainless steel one.

Looks much better.

Before and after pictures included.

Before:
82CB20A1-A82B-4C32-A6E1-A32D47697AD4.jpeg

After:
AD3DC469-3C77-424D-BC73-59BE7AC1BB94.jpeg

Thinking about making a kewl wood mount to place behind the loop that is screwed into the studs of the wall. 🤓

But we will see about that.

Time will tell.

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Funny story.

I was chillaxing with the wifey today (it was her day off), and I told her that if she REALLY liked it, I would purchase her a beautiful, crazy kewl, Mongolian print from an artist in Mongolia. (It is being shipped from Mongolia).

It is a $1,500 print that would look outstanding in our living-room, on the right side of the sliding glass door to the backyard.

It can immediately be seen upon entering the front door to our house.

She was super happy, and husby got mucho snuggles and hugs.

A little later I “subtly” mentioned that I got myself a few stones to sharpen knives.

She knows I’m a knife guru, and I love sharp steel. (From my bowhunting tips, to custom-made knives, to my EDC knives, to our $100 kitchen knives).

She asked how much. I said a little over $100 dollars. (Actually a tad short of $200...but she didn’t need to know the specifics).

She sighed. (A boy with his toys).

It was water under the bridge, and we continued-on to a different topic.

Who da King?! 😋

Last edited:
I didnt post a pic either, so here we are...

Hard to tell from the strop storage area, but it's behind a small wall in the bath closet... my wife doesnt even know they are there when she goes in, as they are hard to see from the direct front of the closet.

Oh, and BTW... the strop is a Westholme "second". The discoloration spots are actually in the leather where it wouldnt take the dye, and not where I totally hosed it with razors. :D They cant be felt, and dont effect stopping at all.

proxy.php

proxy.php

To hang? Whatever is convenient.

To use... I started stropping razors with them hung from a deadbolt, so I got used to them being hung about shoulder high... Currently clip them to a towel hook in our guest bathroom (looks like what Richard is using).

When nothing else was available, I've done what Dave, aldyn, xmacro have going on (hanging from the hinge of a door or doorjam).

Mine isn't fashionable but I just have a roofing nail hammered a little into the inside of my computer desk in my home office (just above the floor standing "desk top" computer unit). So, where your legs go while sitting at the desk.

I keep my straight razors in a wooden, felt-lined, cigar box in my home office as well. I don't use a straight every day (I often use a DE) but when I do I select a straight from the wooden box, grab my strop and hook it over the head of the roofing nail and strop away.

Therefore my strop and straight razors aren't in the bathroom and are away from that additional moisture.

Top Bottom