What's new

Curious. How do y'all hang your strops from the wall?

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Like my title asks, how do you hang your strops from the wall?

I do not want to attach a metal loop/hook under my sink (on the cabinet), because I do not want water and other goodies to splash on the nice leather.

So I screwed a loop on the wall, into the wooden stud behind the sheetrock, about 3’ feet away from the sink.

It is sturdy enough to tug as hard as I want to strop the straight razor.

I will be leaving the strop hanging there...not wanting to click it in place, remove it, click it in place, remove it, etc...

But then I started thinking, "How do others do it? Is there a cleaner, more fashionable way"?

Pictures, please.

Last edited:
I have multiple strops. They hang from a couple hooks on the wall. I really need several more hooks, but I do not have sufficient wall space for more,

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
I have multiple strops. They hang from a couple hooks on the wall. I really need several more hooks, but I do not have sufficient wall space for more,

So you just hang them there for storage/display?

And where do you actually attach it to when you are stropping?

Mine has hung for the last 15 years in the en-suite off a cupboard draw handle. Sitting low in the room it avoids contact with a lot of steam and it's right next to where I shave. (Note the hair on the left side of the counter is one I have been doing HHTs on; hence the wee little fragments.)

To strop I place my right toe on the bottom of the cupboard & hold the handle in my left hand. I end up in a position where I'm stropping 'down hill' towards the sink.
Strop in ensuite.jpg

Works for me & I can always see Black Beauty from my bedroom :)

That is where I strop as well. Although multiple strops are hanging on one hook, the swivels allow me to use any strop, leather or fabric

The reason I leave my strops in this manner is that I often use three different fabric strops and four different leather strops during a stropping session. This way, I do not have to rehang strops. I cannot say that my edges are any better with this method than they would be if I used one linen and one leather strops, but I enjoy stropping with multiple strops with varying draw and feel.

I strop with the strop as vertical as possible. These Tony Millers are hanging on wire rack storage shelving at a little over 6'.
AEA5D472-AA3F-4613-BAAC-39E7CD262714.jpeg

I sometimes move one into the den and hang it temporarily on a clothing hook mounted on the door at about eye level.

My shave den is a small half-bath under the stairs going into the side of my office.
I attach about a five inch loop made from para-cord, and wrap it around the tapped up hinge pin on the doors. When they’re not being used here.
6897B7AA-A68F-4A39-AFD6-CCA6CC918339.jpeg

They’er hanging here.
98E24D28-8EDD-4272-834F-50FB73B6687B.jpeg

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
It just dawned on me that I started this thread, but I didn’t post a picture of my strop in my office sink area.

Like I said, it’s attached to a small loop that has been screwed into the wooden stud behind the sheetrock wall.

It’s also far away enough from the sink to not get water splashes.

It feels more comfortable to strop downward, so the strop is attached low. Hence, when I grab the other end, I raise it to around waist-height, and it is super comfortable and natural.

But I am always open to a new suggestion, as I do not like the galvanized loop screw. Maybe I’ll swap it out for a similar-sized one in chrome.

8A8E05CF-214D-4EFE-8072-AA24D692A7F8.jpeg

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
My next thread will be "Curious. How do you keep the spouse from noticing a dozen strops?"

So we are really tight with our finances.

Maybe “tight” is not the correct word. We are very calculated, and watch our finances and investments closely.

Personally, we get our monthly credit card statements on the 8th...where we look over everything, and pay the balance in full. (That way we pay no extravagant interest rates ).

So...yesterday was the 8th. And I purchased the two Naniwa stones while she was sleeping.

We will not assess our statement for another 30 days. So that gives me 30 days to pamper her, and encourage her to purchase something really nice for herself this month.

And it’s gotta be more expensive than the two stones combined.

It’ll all be good by the 8th of next month. 😁

Strategic?

Yes.

But also married for 12 years. And the knowledge gained makes my life easier. 😂

Top Bottom