What's new

Curious about your $$$ invested in this hobby.

I was checking out my stuff earlier today and got to wondering...just how much have I spent on this new hobby of mine.

Closest I can tell, that number, including all of my straights, DEs, SEs, strops, stones, films, blades, brushes, creams, soaps, balms, oils, aftershaves, etc...everything - is around $1200.

Needless to say, I'm well beyond doing this to "save" money over disposables. :)

Curious to know - if you counted up everything "shave" related in your house at this moment - what is your number?

I just added it up, ballpark $140. That includes over 300 blades, a half dozen ebay razors. I'm already selling a few of the razors, so the number should go down a bit. I'd like to buy at least one "nice" shaver, though, so who knows.
The shaving is cheaper, it's the "collecting" that adds up.

I've been collecting (razors and related items like DE blade stroppers), and I'm playing with straights and honing, so I'd say around $1800-$2000 at this point (in about 1 year). It's mostly on the hardware side for me.. I don't have a lot of money in soaps or AS (and only two brushes).

I've really just started this year. Consequently, I have not yet spent much on gear. Probably my most expensive purchases this year have been a Merkur 38C from Excalibur Cutlery (for around $65 with blades), a Feather AS whatever from West Coast Shaving (for $179), some blades from West Coast Shaving (for around $85), and some product (Captain's Choice Bay Rum AS, Avalon shaving cream, etc., for probably around $40-50). All told, less than $400. Still, imagine all the Gillette Fusion multi-blade cartridges I could have bought! ;)

I'm almost 2 months in now, started the beginning of March and I'm about $600 or so. Looking for a nice brush and want to try some soaps, as I've just been using creams so far. So I see this number going up shortly. Count me in for the 2013 Shave Purchase Sabbatical

Only about 6 weeks in, probably about $250. I have enough creams and soaps to last 2 years. Will focus on grabbing another brush (rudy very most likely) and a merkur (futur or vision) and that will be it for a long time. Hopefully, but probably not.

One thing I can't do is put a price on how much I look forward to shaving now. That trumps all (no pun)

I've been collecting a while so the number is big... like on the wrong side of $5000 (maybe). I've tried to get nice razors so I don't have that many. Most of the razors I've collected are going for more than I paid for them so, like guns, they are an investment, too.

Unfortunately, out of my collection, there are only a few razors that I would consider selling. The rest are in my rotation except for a limited few that are collectable and worth lots more in NOS condition.

edit: Forgot to say that I'm not done collecting. I have two more that I'm watching for. May have to spring for a NOS to get either one. Current eBay prices are crazy for the ones I want but I can get them from private dealers for less. Will probably spring for them sometime in the near future. Then I'll be done... really... except... maybe...

Last edited:
Im at just over $600 after my new Vielong and Shavemac brush purchase
I have way to many creams/soaps with only 1 AS haha
6 razors, 3 brushes, and I think 18 creams/soaps :S
I also don't have many blades only about 200

My total so far for everything shave-related since September minus the superfluous DE razors I have sold is: $46.50.

Under $50 lifetime.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Smart man...

**checks over shoulder for SWMBO...**
65+ straights, 12 DEs, 6 SEs, 8 brushes, 22+/- soap related things... wait. 5 hones, lapping sheets, three strops, 3 bay rum AS's...
I'm going to say around the $45 mark. :whistling:

Jeesh. I gotta mellow out. Time to whittle down and use the BST? Youbetcha!

Last edited:
I'd rather not think about this thank you very much. I never started to save money but I suspect my jaw would hit the floor, twice after the gf knocked me out, if I ever did a total.

It's hard to truly estimate, as I have purchased a lot, but also resold a ton of it. I would say I have likely spent around $2500 in three years.

Only $1200? Ha! You've only just begun.

I'd answer yourr question directly, but I'm afraid to answer in a public forum that my wife might discover. :) :)

Top Bottom