What's new

Curious about what setup you first used in wet shaving...

No.

Started in 1966 with a hand me down Gillette Tech, Blue Blades, bar of Ivory soap..

In 1971 moved up to an Ever-ready boar and Colgate shaving soap.

Moved on long ago.

I switched from cart to wet shaving in June of 2017, my first kit was from Maggards

Maggards V3/MR11 handle
Maggards 22mm synthetic brush
Maggards London Barbershop Shave Soap
Pinaud Clubman Aftershave
Astra Green Blade
Maggards Alum

Started in 1980 with a can of Noxzema and a 60s Fatboy my father gave me and whatever blades he bought from the store (usually Wilkinson if I remember correctly).
I am now using a Merkur 34c,I retired the Fatboy around 2000,and Figaro or Proraso canned foam (both are dirt cheap in the EU where I live).I have been using Shark blades for over a decade.

My first setup was rather simple. A Tech razor my father gave me, a no-name brush purchased from a local drug store, soap flakes my father had in huge quantities, and Gillette Blue Blades. Two years later I upgraded by purchasing a new razor: a Gillette adjustable now known as a Fat Boy.

My first set up was a Mach 3 cart, Aqua Velva and barbasol.

My first DE setup was a slim and blue tip, both which I moved on from. I think I still have my first brush, an omega boar. Synthetics and badgers are my preferred brushes.

Aqua Velva always has a spot in my den though.

First DE shave was:
  • Merkur 34C
  • Personna Lab Blue
  • Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood (sample)
  • Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush
Most of them are not used anymore as it cannot beat my current go-to setup for the Rockwell 6S, GSB, tallow-based soap, and my Wolf Whiskers SynBad custom brush.

After 30+ years of carts and goo, I started de shaving 2 years ago.
I started with a Slim, Nivea cream, cheap boar brush, and German Wilkies.
I now have a drawer full of vintage Gillettes, a few soaps and creams, a few brushes, and waaay too many blades.
Still have and use the Slim and the original boar brush is still my favourite. I never could get along with the German Wilkies, though.

I started with a Mongoose B3 and KAI Captain Titan Mild blades, and stuck with them for almost 9 months before branching out, trying DE and a couple of dozen blade brands. Proraso Green and an Omega boar were the first soap and brush I used.

None of those things do I use any more.

I shave with an ATT SE1 and Schick Proline blades. I use a PAA Atomic Rocket synthetic, and have a few different artisan tallow soaps.

12 years ago:
Grandpa’s Gillette slim twist
Walmart Personna blades
Proraso soap from target
Novelty boar brush.

I’ll never forget how that Proraso soap smelled the first time I used it. I still have grandpa’s razor, but I haven’t used it in years. I still use Proraso soap every now and then.

Merkur 34c - recently gifted to my youngest son, and replaced with a Progress.
Proraso Green - now using the CO Bigelow clone.
Vanderhagen Luxury Soap
Astra blades

40+ years ago got a Super Adjustable for my b-day. Generally used Foamy, or whatever was on sale. Blades were again whatever was on sale/cheapest. Had a cheap Eveready, Williams & Old Spice were readily available, rarely used them, too much bother for a hot-to-trot teenager. Pour on 1/2 cup of Brut and I was ready to smother, I mean impress, any young lass I would meet.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
We never called it "wet shaving" when I started in the late sixties, simply shaving. After borrowing my dad's injectors for a while I bought a Schick Krona at the local Rexall, using hand applied Barbasol cream and later bath soap hand lathered finally graduating to canned goop. Brut aftershave in high school.

Amazingly, I still have that old black razor in the museum.

I mean, if wet shaving includes disposable razors and canned foam, I don't even remember, I did that since I was 10. Now if you consider "wet shaving" as traditional wet shaving with a safety or straight razor, well, I've been doing that for only about 2 months. The first stuff I got was a Merkur 33C (I'm doing grad school in Germany, and Solingen is pretty close, so I figured that even if wet shaving (traditional I mean) wasn't for me, I'd have a nice souvenir from my time here), proraso red soap, astra green blades, and just a cheap generic brush from the local DM Market. In terms of aftershave, I've always used it (was a big fan of Clubman), but I figured I'd also pick up some Hattric in the grocery store here just to add something to the rotation as I began my traditional wet shaving jouney. I've since replaced that DM Market brush with the Proraso branded Omega boar brush. I'm only two months in, as I said, so I still use, and enjoy, everything else I started with, though I have started to accumulate more stuff to the collection already..

I learned to shave in the late 1960s!! My set up was a hand-me-down Gillette Slim and some Foamy shave cream. I believe that I finished with OS.

I only wish that I had kept that razor and and a stockpile of vintage OS (along with my baseball cards)!!

Then I went to carts because that was the modern thing to do. :a13::a13:

It took me a long time to come back!

British Gillette Rocket (still in use)
Wilkinson Sword blade
Semogue 1305 boar brush (still in use)
Edwin Jaegger lime & pomegranate soap
Pinaud Clubman original (still in use)

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Wow, what a trip down Memory Lane! My very first DE shave in 2014:

Merkur 34c (noticing a trend?)
Perfecto pure badger brush
Nivea Sensative Skin Cream (the kind in the tube)
Nivea balm
Derby blade (I think)

None of it is still in my bathroom. I traded the 34c for an EJ DE89, which I later sold. I binned the Perfecto after I acquired an Omega boar and realized what a terrible brush it was. I thought about PIFing it, but I don’t hate anybody that much. I can’t find the Nivea shaving cream in the store anymore. I like it fine, but not so much to go out of my way to order it on the internet. The Nivea balm, I later discovered, over-hydrated my skin and gave me ingrowns. I do much better with aftershave splashes. And lastly, the Derby was part of a sample pack, and I quickly discovered I liked other blades better. From my original setup, the only thing I sorta, kinda miss is the 34c. But the razors I have now honestly work better for me, so no big loss.

I learned to shave with a Gillette Mach 3 and bar soap.
My first traditional shave setup was with the Merkur 34c, Derby blades, Semogue 1250, and PAA soap. The Semogue is the only thing I still use from my first setup. The Merkur was PIFed and I haven't used Derby or PAA since.

Started shaving in 1960.Used a Gillette DE of forgotten vintage and canned foam. Switched to disposable when they were cheaper than store bought DE blades . Went back to DE ‘s when multi blades got ridiculous in price.

Top Bottom