What's new

Curious about what setup you first used in wet shaving...

and are these products STILL in your rotation despite using more (and possibly better) options?

For me, I started wet shaving with a Merkur 34C, persona lab blue blades, VanderHagen Luxury Soap, and Clubman aftershave.

I still reach for everything on that list ( I have a Rockwell 6S and a Slim Adjustable, feather blades, etc that I use a lot) except for the VanderHagen soap....I'm mostly using RazoRock XXX or the Dead Sea, but have QUITE a few I like.

I'm curious if you still use the products you started with and, if so, what were they?

My setup when I first started is still the same for the most part.

Gillette Super Speed
Proraso products “fan boy” describes me
Omega brush

Removed from the rotation
Williams mug soap
Astra blades

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wet shaving started with disposables and canned foam for me, but I moved to DE in my later teenage years.

Approaching 30 years later, the Wilkinson Sword Classic is now my travel razor, and the Wilkinson Sword Classic blades are still my favourite to this day. A few years ago, I finally made the move from convenience products to brush and soap.

I started with an ATT Kronos M1, but now I'm thinking an R1 would better suit me. Now, I also have a vintage Superspeed and a post-war Tech in rotation, and an Aristocrat is on the way (from Argentina!). For soap, I started with Proraso, and still use it, but find myself using various creams more often now. I especially like the Stone Cottage Soapworks creams. I tested blades with a sample pack, but have mostly been using Astra SPs. A generous B&B member sent me some Nacets at a good price, which I'm anxious to test. I use Nivea for sensitive skin as an aftershave balm.

Greg

About six years ago I started traditional shaving with:
EJ 89L razor
Vulfix Grosvenor brush
TOBS sandalwood cream

I still use the EJ as a travel razor, and wouldn't hesitate to use the TOBS cream, although I mostly use soap now, and there are other creams I prefer. The brush I gave to a distant relative who wanted to try traditional shaving.

I started shaving in the traditional manner with the Merkur 34C HD, a sampler pack of blades, and several unscented soaps, and a cheap badger brush from Amazon.

Over three years later, 3 of the soaps I tried during the first 2 months are still in rotation, with regular re-purchasing, and 4 blade brands from the sampler pack were purchased in bulk quantities so I still use them.

Brushes and the razors have changed several times, but my Slim ('64, over 2 yrs old with me), Karve (7 mos but reigns at #1), and Tech (pre-war, 1 yr old with me) are the only ones remaining in the house.

My entrance down this rabbit hole was a cheap Vanderhagen tto, and the vanderhagen soap/mug/brush set. I still have it and still use the brush some but haven’t touched the rest of it in quite some time.

I began wet shaving with an Art of Shaving sandalwood starter set and a Mach 3. Switched to a VDH TTO shortly thereafter. When I can find the Sandalwood pre-shave oil, shave cream, or ASB at a discount store, (TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Burlington, etc.) I purchase it. I gifted the TTO after getting a Slim, as they are very similar, and also use both a GEM 1912, and 2 SRs. I use mostly an Omega Boar Pro 10098, Omega Synthetic S10019, and a Vie-Long Horse 12601. The AoS Badger I apply Noxzema with. I mainly use DIY Oil, PdP and Cade soaps, Nivea ASB, and various Pinaud Clubman AS's.

I started with a Merkur 34HD and a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street, along with an assortment pack of blades and a dirt cheap badger brush. I gave the Merkur razor to a son, but would still use it if I hadn't passed it along. The brush was tossed, as it was miserable. The TOBS was enjoyed, but I found I prefer soaps, so it wasn't replaced. I now stick with Nacets and Gillette Silver Blues for the most part.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

August 2016, after 43 years of "Gillette Trac II -- Gillette Fusion" razors and canned Edge / Foamy / Barbasol ...
I made the big move and switched to traditional double edge razor with brush and cream/soap wet shaving.
My very first set-up, thanks to Jared at Superior Shave and the fine folks at West Coast shaving, was a great
Simpsons Colonel X2L badger brush, a Merkur 34C with a blade sampler pack (my first ever DE shave was with
a Derby blade from that sampler pack), Proraso Green tub soap, and Clubman Pinaud. Wow !!!

Edwin Jager 89 razor.
I think it came with Derby blades but I bought a sample also at the same time.
Taylor of bond street cream

I started with a Merkur 23C, Astra blades, Speick shaving cream and after shave and an Edwin Jagger best badger brush.
The razor and the brush are no longer being used, but blades, cream and after shave are still part of my rotation.

My setup when I first started is still the same for the most part.

Gillette Super Speed
Proraso products “fan boy” describes me
Omega brush

Removed from the rotation
Williams mug soap
Astra blades

I am a fan of the Proraso Green cream and the Proraso aftershave...especially in the muggy warm weather we have so much of in Mississippi.

Vdh Tto razor and blades, Pinaud barber shave cream(the non- lathering one) and Harry’s post shave balm.

I used the razor for a little over a year before getting a progress and haven’t used it since.
I had no issues with the blades but there are better for less $$$.
I liked the shave cream and would buy again.
Used the Harry’s post shave balm today. I would also buy this again.

I started with a Merkur 23C, Astra blades, Speick shaving cream and after shave and an Edwin Jagger best badger brush.
The razor and the brush are no longer being used, but blades, cream and after shave are still part of my rotation.

Speick shaving cream and aftershave are both things I would like to try. So many options!

Merkur 34c
Astra SP
Semogue 1305 boar
Razorock xxx
Proraso green aftershave

Actually every single item on my list has left the den & been replaced with a better setup these days!

I started with:
- Merkur 20C, still in rotation, joined by other razors, with others still to come
- Apothecary style shaving mug, knob handle broke off, tried to glue it, but now in semi-retirement, replaced by a Dollar Tree salsa bowl
- Perfecto badger brush - lost hairs from the beginning, replaced by a RR Plissoft and a GrayDog!!
- Proraso Red shave soap - given away, and haven't settled on a replacement, still way too many to try

For me it was:
Merkur 23C
Perfecto badger brush
Mama Bear soap
None of these products are still in my rotation. Ive moved on to better products.

and are these products STILL in your rotation despite using more (and possibly better) options?

For me, I started wet shaving with a Merkur 34C, persona lab blue blades, VanderHagen Luxury Soap, and Clubman aftershave.

I still reach for everything on that list ( I have a Rockwell 6S and a Slim Adjustable, feather blades, etc that I use a lot) except for the VanderHagen soap....I'm mostly using RazoRock XXX or the Dead Sea, but have QUITE a few I like.

I'm curious if you still use the products you started with and, if so, what were they?

My first setup was an Edwin Jagger DE87, Vulfix 1000A brush, and Ray’s of Colorado Bay Rum soap. Actually, this razor did not enter the picture until several months after I started. (I continued using my cartridge razor, hoping that the Gillette DE razor I used as a teenager would turn up.)

I’d still be using the Ray’s of Colorado soap if they hadn’t changed the formulation. I absolutely loved this stuff and miss it. I don’t think they are around anymore, in any case.

The Vulfix brush got retired after the first year or two. I found it today while cleaning up my den, so thought I’d do a quick shave touch up with it. It still gets the job done. Although it seemed a bit small and wimpy, and was shedding hairs.

The DE87 razor is still part of my three-razor rotation.

Top Bottom