What's new

Curiosity got the better of me.

So I kept seeing about shimming a razor, finally tried it on a Gillette tech. Certainly feels different. Can't say the results are better or not as I get a decent shave from the tech anyway. Just my reasoning is that if you want a more aggressive razor go buy one. Seems to work to try if a bigger blade gap suit though just wouldn't do it regularly.

I have not tried shimming but Id think with a shim underneath it would give more blade gap AND exposure.
I guess if you want to try it to see if you can get along with more.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have read that vintage razors may have performed differently with vintage blades which were thicker and less flexible than modern blades, and that using a shim with a modern blade may replicate that. I use a shim and a sharp blade with my 1930s Henckels Henso which I would otherwise find too mild. It is not a new idea, here is the vintage French shim I use which was made by Petard and which is 0.7mm thick, compared with a modern blade at 0.1mm thick.

forum-1.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I made a huge mistake yesterday. I’ve seen it posted here before: I put the nylon M5 washer on the thread before assembling my Claymore Evolution. I didn’t notice it until I broke it down to clean after my shave.

The odd thing: the shave was the same as usual. At first I thought I’d lost the washer but no. I’d just increased the blade gap by 1mm and it didn’t seem to matter.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I thought the idea of a washer was to prevent scratch marks on the base plate when you screwed the handle on.
I could be wrong I usually am.

I thought the idea of a washer was to prevent scratch marks on the base plate when you screwed the handle on.
I could be wrong I usually am.

Oh you're not wrong mate, it's just that some of us - I won't mention names but his initials are S W E E N E Y - have been known at times to do amazingly stupid things.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Oh you're not wrong mate, it's just that some of us - I won't mention names but his initials are S W E E N E Y - have been known at times to do amazingly stupid things.

What this means I got something right. This is a rare day indeed.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom

I'm well known for doing amazingly stupid things and on a very regular basis.

Top Bottom