What's new

Curio madness

Well, yesterday I picked up two nearly identical four-shelf, bow-front, curios from a local estate auction. I've been collecting for about six months. Compared to many of the razors I have recently purchased they were super cheap ($130 for the pair). My amazing wife was actually the person who suggested that I buy them because my collection was sprawling all over the house, and, frankly, I needed (wanted) a nice way to display them.

Here is what I've packed into the first one; essentially every one of my best Gillette items totaling 74 razors. There are a couple of non-Gillette DE razors too. The oldest stuff is on top (1910-1930) and "newer" things are placed on descending shelves with my Adjustables and 1960s through 1980s stuff on the bottom shelf. A handful are very minty and untouched. A few are replated by Chris Spencer or Razor Emporium (mostly Chris though-link). Most were in pretty tough shape when I bought them, but I have restored them myself. Here are some photos. Sorry about all the reflections; too many mirrors and clean glass.

I'm going to fill the other curio with my SE gear and the other shaving related bits and bobs (blades, aftershave bottles, brushes, etc.). I'll add another post about those after I finish organizing that stuff.

Tell me about your own collection story; and I see curios in your future @LRod

PXL_20220925_150511836.jpg
PXL_20220925_152150306.jpg
PXL_20220925_152156019.jpg
PXL_20220925_152203016.jpg
PXL_20220925_152208925.jpg

Well, yesterday I picked up two nearly identical four-shelf, bow-front, curios from a local estate auction. I've been collecting for about six months. Compared to many of the razors I have recently purchased they were super cheap ($130 for the pair). My amazing wife was actually the person who suggested that I buy them because my collection was sprawling all over the house, and, frankly, I needed (wanted) a nice way to display them.

Here is what I've packed into the first one; essentially every one of my best Gillette items totaling 74 razors. There are a couple of non-Gillette DE razors too. The oldest stuff is on top (1910-1930) and "newer" things are placed on descending shelves with my Adjustables and 1960s through 1980s stuff on the bottom shelf. A handful are very minty and untouched. A few are replated by Chris Spencer or Razor Emporium (mostly Chris though-link). Most were in pretty tough shape when I bought them, but I have restored them myself. Here are some photos. Sorry about all the reflections; too many mirrors and clean glass.

I'm going to fill the other curio with my SE gear and the other shaving related bits and bobs (blades, aftershave bottles, brushes, etc.). I'll add another post about those after I finish organizing that stuff.

Tell me about your own collection story; and I see curios in your future @LRod

View attachment 1528287View attachment 1528290View attachment 1528291View attachment 1528294View attachment 1528295
Really nice collection, beautifully displayed.

WOW!!! You weren't kidding Mitch, that is a STUNNING collection! Beautifully displayed as well! The Fat Boys, all the various iterations of the News and the Aristocrats, the cases - did I mention the Fat Boys?? Nicely done, Sir.

Good heavens!:ouch1: That is spectacular. We've been at it for about the same amount of time so I showed this to my wife "See Hon, my little shelves and cabinet aren't all that much." She said "That looks nice, and no you can't have my curio cabinet for razors". 🤷‍♂️

Good heavens!:ouch1: That is spectacular. We've been at it for about the same amount of time so I showed this to my wife "See Hon, my little shelves and cabinet aren't all that much." She said "That looks nice, and no you can't have my curio cabinet for razors". 🤷‍♂️
It was my wife who suggested buying the curios. She is an angel 😇

Very nice collection especially after only 6 months. You fell deep into the rabbit hole, as did I. This is the same style cabinet I've been eyeing up for my stash as well. Enjoy it!

Nice catch on the curios and very nice collection. I would love to have a display like that. My wife has so much artwork on the walls and in the shelves I can only use one area. I keep it all on top of a vintage secretary desk my grandfather owned. If it were up to me alone I would have gun cases and razor cases lining the walls.
That is exactly what my wife said! Except she said I can't have "a" curio cabinet for razors. It's a decorating issue apparently.

For razors not stored away I use a couple of knife cases and one old Gillette countertop display to top them off. Consequently I can only see whatever I put into the top case. When we have company I open a drawer and start up with the obligatory shaving history lesson. People have no idea about the rich history of Gillette and wet shaving in general.

Notice the hinges on the Gillette case are in the front? That is so the proprietor can open the case but the customer can't. Makes it a bit more difficult to rearrange items.
100_5597.JPG

Last edited:
Nice catch on the curios and very nice collection. I would love to have a display like that. My wife has so much artwork on the walls and in the shelves I can only use one area. I keep it all on top of a vintage secretary desk my grandfather owned. If it were up to me alone I would have gun cases and razor cases lining the walls.

That is exactly what my wife said! Except she said I can't have "a" curio cabinet for razors. It's a decorating issue apparently.

For razors not stored away I use a couple of knife cases and one old Gillette countertop display to top them off. Consequently I can only see whatever I put into the top case. When we have company I open a drawer and start up with the obligatory shaving history lesson. People have no idea about the rich history of Gillette and wet shaving in general.

Notice the hinges on the Gillette case are in the front? That is so the proprietor can open the case but the customer can't. Makes it a bit more difficult to rearrange items.
View attachment 1529836
@HDSledge I've often looked at these Gillette countertop displays with interest, but I've never run across one that I thought justified the asking price. Yours, however, is particularly beautiful. I'm used to seeing the plastic versions from the Fatboy era or later.

Do I also see a few Twinplex stroppers on that desk!? I have a Twinplex DeLuxe in a nickel plated case that has a beautiful purple lining. I restored the leather on the stropper cams so that I could use it on vintage blades to smooth them out. I've used it on a couple modern stainless blades with pretty good results too. My Twinplex will be on display in the other curio. I'll post photos when I get that one loaded up.

Thanks for sharing this photo!

Last edited:
Top Bottom