What's new

Cumulative blade review: a non-blinded study

Veteran B&B members will probably say: it makes no sense to come up with blade reviews without knowing the razor. And they’re right.

I used an ATT open comb razor with an R2 plate for these blade reviews - a moderately aggressive razor. But if you use a milder razor, like a Gillette NEW, you’ll end up different reviews. Keep that in mind when you read this list.

I've compiled a list of blade reviews from several threads. A few people have found the list useful, and I appended it with a few extra reviews. Of course, it’s best to try the blades yourself to confirm (or contradict) my results. The blades are listed roughly from best to worst.

And feel free to chime in with your reactions to these reviews - positive or negative.

I’ve used nearly the same prep for every review - as inspired by Kyle’s impeccable research..
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/How_to_pre-shave_prep

1. I use an ATT razor with an R2 (medium, open comb) plate. I clean and dry the razor and blade after every shave.
  2. Soak my face with hot water/lather for three minutes.
  3. Lather with one of three soaps: Honeybee soap, Proroso red, Sterling shaving soap, Cold Water Soapworks. There’s not much discernable difference in shaving results.
  4. On the first pass, I shave with the grain; on the second, I shave against or lateral to the grain of the beard. Then, I clean up stray whiskers.

BLADE REVIEW SUMMARY

EXCELLENT BLADES
FEATHER is sharp and quite smooth (especially if you shave lightly). It’s also possible to push the blade, though it’s clearly sharpest with shaves #1 - 5. I can tell I’m using a Feather, but at no time is the shave harsh - even with an aggressive razor like the R41. It’s really important to shave lightly with this blade. Price for 100 blades is about $25 - but it’s worth it. :w00t:

PERSONNA MED PREPS are $32 for 100 (or $55 for 250, or 1000 for $260), and may be the sharpest shaving blade in production. Two things distinguish the Med Preps: an exceptionally keen blade (possibly even sharper than a Feather) and extra sterilization. And that’s the problem: they cost a third more than the Feather, somewhat mitigating the Med Prep’s advantage. But if money’s not an issue, the Personna Med Prep is hard to beat - though, as with all US Personna blades, use a milder razor.:w00t:

VERY, VERY GOOD BLADES
GILLETTE SILVER BLUE may not be as rapier sharp as a FEATHER or PERSONNA MED PREP, but it’s agreeably sharp, and outrageously smooth (even if you push the blade). For many shavers, the GSB excels at balancing sharpness, smoothness - and even value. I didn’t have too much of a problem with the blobs of wax, but some find it infuriating. Rumors abound that GSBs are on their way out, so stock up. (I stockpiled six-hundred plus.) The best price is around $20 for 100 blades - for $160 for 1000. :001_smile

GILLETTE 7 O'CLOCK SUPER PLATINUM (black - India) offera fine shave from the start - and the blade dulls only incrementally; good shaves last through its entire life. Shaves #2 to 5 are very close in quality, and it’s easy to tell why they’re so well liked. Maybe the best of the 7 O’Clock blades. About $21 for 100 blades. :001_smile

POLSILVER SI blades requires a light touch, but deliver a very close shave. I got consistently good shaves, and most were exceptionally close; I was able to eke out six shaves from a blade, though it seems to work best with a moderately aggressive razor. That said, at $25 for 100 blades, the Polsilver SI seems a bit much. This blade works best with mild or only moderately aggressive razors. :001_smile

PERMA-SHAVE SUPER delivers on their promise: they're noticeably sharp and last a long time. These blades are incredibly close for the first two shaves, but (with extra time, and maybe a little extra pressure) will continue to provide six very good shaves - or more. Consistent and reliable. At about $18 for 100 blades, this is a decent value. I'm surprised this isn't a runaway favorite. :001_smile

GILLETTE 7 O’CLOCK SHARPEDGE (yellow) isn’t quite Feather-sharp, and they maintain the sharpness through nearly a week’s shaves. You may have to apply a little more pressure as the blade gets worn, but this blade performs well. The overall performance is very close to the Gillette Super Platinum black, though the latter is slightly sharper, all in all. About $21 for 100 blades. :001_smile

KAI STAINLESS - These blades are unusual in a several ways: they’re thicker than usual, unstamped, and come from a famed blade-making area of Japan. At a minimum of $43 for 100 blades, this is also the most expensive DE blade in production. It’s a consistent blade that combines a FEATHER’s sharpness with added smoothness. I recommend using the Kai blade with a relatively mild razor, like the Gillette NEW or Red Tip. A blade should last at least a week. :001_smile

RAPIRA PLATINUM LUX - The Lux is clearly the “class” in the Rapira line. Superior balance of sharpness and smoothness, this effortlessly cuts through beard. The best price is about $11.20 for 100 blades. It’s very similar to the GSB: sharpness is similar, lasts about as long. (And it's about half the price.) This blade works best with razor that’s mild or moderate in aggression.. The blade easily has enough sharpness to go beyond a week. A very good value. :001_smile

GILLETTE 7 O’CLOCK SUPERSHARP STAINLESS (green) is similar to the 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (black), except they have about one shave’s less sharpness. The blade delivers two outstanding shaves, but there’s a gradual increase in tugging over time. About $20 for 100 blades, though the price seems to be in flux. :001_smile

VERY GOOD BLADES
LORD SUPER PLATINUM - This has the sharpness and smoothness you expect with a platinum blade. Three or four shaves are excellent, though there’s a notable reduction in sharpness after around five or six days. $13 for 100 blades is a pretty good value for a platinum blade. Probably the best-performing Lord blade.

BIG BEN SUPER STAINLESS -
This blade is somewhere between the Lord Super Platinum and Lord Super Chrome; audible feedback and smooth shaving makes for strong competition to an Astra. Prices vary, but $12.50 for 100 is a good price, but Big Ben prices vary considerably.

SHARK SUPER CHROME - This has a nearly ideal balance of sharpness and comfort, and at about $15 for 100 blades, it’s a pretty good deal, though the loses a bit of its smoothness after about three days. But the overall longevity is exceptional.

PERSONNA “RED PACK” isn't as sharp as the Feathers or Med Preps (much less the Perma-Shave Super or Gillette 7 O’Clock), but they’re a fine value at $12-15 for 100 blades. Offering an unusually smooth, nick-free shave, these blades are at their best with shaves 1 to 2 or maybe 3; but with some added pressure, the blades still offer a total of five or more shaves. Recently, these have been exported through the UK and Mexico, but are otherwise identical to the Personna “Red Pack.”

RAPIRA SUPER STAINLESS - Some may find this a kind shocker: the price is $11 for 100 blades, but the quality is as good as - or slightly better - than the widely beloved Astra. Rapira Stainless may be the low-price leader. The blade is best during shaves 1 to 3, but will give decent shaves - albeit with some tugging - for three more shaves.

PERSONNA LABS require one thing from a user: a light touch - and more so if you have an aggressive razor. Pressure invites weepers galore, especially on the first shave, but good technique rewards you with a very good shave. Expect two good shaves, but you can squeeze out maybe five. $14 for 100 blades is a good price, though you get better comfort and blade longevity with the “Red Pack” Personna. (Some say the Labs are exactly the same as the “Med Prep” - but if you can’t tell the difference, why not just stock up on the “Labs”?) Best suited for milder razors.

RAPIRA SWEDISH SUPERSTEEL - Rapira Swedish Supersteel is moderately sharp, and lasts a little longer than many blades. At about $15 for 100 blades, it’s a decent value - but there are better values and blades. This blade is probably best suited for an milder razor.

GOOD BLADES
RACER SUPER STAINLESS - These blades are getting scarce, but they provide moderate sharpness and a longevity that’s close to the Lord Super Chrome. At $22 for 100 blades online, this isn’t a bargain, but their long life and relative sharpness makes this a quality offering. I’d pay about $14 for 100 blades for this fine blade.

LORD SUPER CHROME - While it’s not ultra-smooth, the Super Chrome is a blade that lasts and lasts. My blade made it to fourteen shaves, and still had some life remaining. $14.50 for 100 blades is a decent price for a workmanlike blade that has real value.

ASTRA PLATINUM costs only $11 for 100 blades, and its value is certainly a selling point, as is its unerring consistency. You still end up with at least one or two excellent shaves - until the blade starts to lose its edge (around the third shave). The Astra seems to work well with just about every razor, though I found the longevity somewhat lacking.

RAPIRA SUPER STAINLESS CHROME - A relative bargain (about $11 for 100 blades, shipped) that compares favorably with an Astra. It’s best on shaves 1 to 3, though 5 is still decent. The blade loses its edge a little earlier than I’d have expected.

(These two blades are very similar.)
LADAS SUPER STAINLESS - This slightly above average blade will work best with a mild razor.By around the fourth or fifth shave, the initial sharpness is gone, but you can still get satisfactory shaves with a little effort. It’s a good blade; but if the price is close to a Rapira Lux, I’ll pick the latter every time. The price online is the same as other blades in the same factory - as low as $10 for 100 blades.
RAPIRA SUPER STAINLESS - The Rapira Super Stainless (non-chrome) is up to the Rapira standard, but should probably be reserved for mild razors - particularly with the first shave. You can get them at a budget price online: $10.40 for 100 from a reliable source. On eBay, I saw 200 for 14.00.

VOSHKOD TEFLON COATED gives two smooth, clean shaves…but only for those two shaves, though it’s still usable through the fourth. I’m a big fan of Russian blades, but they work best with a mild razor. These are about $20 for 100 blades; their short life makes them iffy from a value standpoint. (A Personna "Red Pack” is smoother and lasts a lot longer.)

CROWN SUPER STAINLESS - Maybe not the last word in smoothness, this blade compensates with good longevity and sharpness. Its exceptional closeness is a big plus. At about $15 for 100 blades, this is about equal to the Lord quality.

DECENT BLADES
SHARK SUPER STAINLESS -
At under $10 for 100 blades, this is an economical blade with so-so comfort - but a close shave. Doesn’t hold a candle to the Shark Super Chrome, but it’s a must-try if you have a mild razor. Just don’t use pressure, lest you succumb to weepers.

WILKINSON SWORD - The British-made Wilkies are legendary for their longevity. There are two double edge varieties currently sold: Saloon Pack and Classic. I’ve only tried the Classic, and they’re best used with a mild razor. You can count on three or four shaves before tossing a blade (not the greatest longevity), but you can’t argue with the consistency. $21 for 100 isn’t a very good value; the saloon pack is less half the price.

(These two blades are about equal in performance.)
LORD SUPER STAINLESS
-
This doesn’t have the longevity of the Lord Super Chrome or the smoothness of the Lord Platinum, but it’s a decent blade that might last a week or so. At $14 for 100 blades, it’s an average value - but consider the price break if you buy 1000.
LORD SUPER STAINLESS (classic) -
This blade has almost the same longevity of the regular Lord Super Stainless, but starts off sharper - then blunts abruptly after around a week. The price (about $14 for 100 blades) is about the same, too.

THE REST
(All four of these blades are about equal in performance.)
RAINBOW SUPER STAINLESS -
This thoroughly average blade will probably last around four or so days. At about $13 and change for 100 blades, it’s only a fair bargain.
ASCO ORANGE SUPER STAINLESS -
Very similar to the Rainbow Super Stainless; even the price is about the same. For less, you can get the Rapira Lux - and get more smoothness and superior longevity. $16 for 100 blades.
ASCO RED SUPER STAINLESS -
Pretty much the same performance and price as the ASCO Orange - which means it’s still overpriced. $16 for 100. Four shaves from a blade is my limit.
ASCO BLUE SUPER STAINLESS -
Same price and quality as the other ASCO colors. $16 for 100 blades is not a good value, especially since the blades won’t last beyond four shaves. (I haven’t tried the original ASCO blue.

DERBY STAINLESS - Their relative cheapness - $8.50 for 100 - makes this blade attractive for newbies to wet shaving. (Many razor manufacturers will supply a tuck of Derby blades gratis.) I suggest using this blade only with mild razors, and don’t expect the blade to last more than two, three shaves before tossing; however, you can expect a workmanlike shave every time, and I really like their plastic-wrapped plastic tuck. However, a Rapira Platinum Lux lasts longer and shaves better, making it a much better value. But it's cheap.

POOR BLADES
GILLLETE SUPER BLUE - DE blades from China don’t have the best reputation, but you’d expect better from the Gillette name. It isn’t even sharp enough for one complete shave.
:mad3:

Last edited:
Two questions:

1. How many of each brand of blade did you try? Did you find much variance between blades of the same brand?

2. Having been a part of a double-blind razor blade study ... I was surprised by how much my expectations might change affect my shave (and review of a blade). Have you considered having a friend load blades for you to see if you can accurately pick them out?

Thanks for your review!

Cheers,
Shawn

Two questions:

1. How many of each brand of blade did you try? Did you find much variance between blades of the same brand?

2. Having been a part of a double-blind razor blade study ... I was surprised by how much my expectations might change affect my shave (and review of a blade). Have you considered having a friend load blades for you to see if you can accurately pick them out?

Thanks for your review!

Cheers,
Shawn

Good questions.

With a few blades (like GSB, Derby, Feather, Personna Med Prep, Astra Platinum, Rapira Platinum Lux), I tried them dozens of times. Others (Lord, Ladas, Rainbow, ASCO, etc.), I tried them long enough to realize they were pretty average on my razor. The "very, very good" blades were sampled more than the average ones.

It's interesting that you mention a double-blind study. I'm working on one that compares my top four blades, to replicate another study here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/459344-Blade-Comparison-A-Blinded-Study

I'm only halfway through that study, so I won't know what the results are until maybe two weeks. But the blades are pretty dissimilar, so I expect good accuracy. (Watch - I'll probably fall flat on my face.) I'm not sure if I could distinguish between middling blades, however.

The batch of reviews here, however, is more to distinguish the very best from all the rest.

It's interesting that you mention a double-blind study. I'm working on one that compares my top four blades, to replicate another study here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/459344-Blade-Comparison-A-Blinded-Study

I'm only halfway through that study, so I won't know what the results are until maybe two weeks. But the blades are pretty dissimilar, so I expect good accuracy. (Watch - I'll probably fall flat on my face.) I'm not sure if I could distinguish between middling blades, however.

Thanks for the link, and I very much look forward to seeing your blind experiment results!

Cheers,
Shawn

Nice review but the prices of Med Prep blades may be off. I get $250 @ $55 from Robbins Instruments which puts them at or cheaper than Feathers. Robbins sells 100 @ $25, the same price you quote Feathers at.

The Lab blades are even a better buy and I can't tell that much of a difference between them and the Med Prep blades.

Last edited:
Good review....but I think you mean Gillette 7 O'Clock, not 6 O'Clock. Or maybe you're in a different time zone. :lol:

Excellent review - thorough, and not too far off my personal experiences, although I have found the Feathers to be hit or miss in a few of my razors - but when it hits, it hits it harder than just about anything else.

Good review and I can concur on most of your opinions. I mostly only differ on how many good shaves some blades yield as I always get 5-7 good shaves from any blade. You quote some very good prices so I'm going to have to search for those deals.

The Lab blades are even a better buy and I can't tell that much of a difference between them and the Med Prep blades.

There is a very long post on this site about the Preps/Labs with a letter from a Personna rep who says that the blade is the same. After trying both the Preps and the Labs back and forth myself, it is clear that they are the same blade.

There is a very long post on this site about the Preps/Labs with a letter from a Personna rep who says that the blade is the same. After trying both the Preps and the Labs back and forth myself, it is clear that they are the same blade.

I'm convinced they're basically the same blade, as well. Except the Med Prep goes through an additional washing step, and the Labs get a PFTE coating. For me, the Lab Preps last somewhat longer. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/459344-Blade-Comparison-A-Blinded-Study/page2

Top Bottom