What's new

Cult of Arko

so I'm working on a spread sheet right now, I'm going to track everyday I use my puck of Arko to see how many shaves I can get out of a puck.

I've never tracked anything like this before, but after reading that some people are getting 300 shaves out of a puck of Williams it made me question it. I can only get about 40 shaves out of a puck of Williams, so I wanted to beta test and see how many shaves I can get.

Cool

I'm looking forward to see how it turns out. 👍

Those that are getting 300+ shaves out of Williams. I wonder if they are 1 pass shaves?

I'd be really surprised if they were getting 300+ 3 pass shaves out of it. That said, I've never bought a new puck of Williams and tracked it.

I have really come to enjoy Arko quite a bit. I won't do Whole Hog Arko August again because I just love variety too much but I will do it on the Down Low. I probably find myself reaching for Arko at least twice a week. I just really love the way it feels when I am working the lather on my face. I am very sensitive to some shaving soaps but I have never had any reaction to Arko at all. My preferred method is to use the shaving sticks mashed into an empty full size soap puck. I just don't really find the rubbing of shave sticks on my face to be very comfortable, however it is very effective when used that way.

there are alot of people that take the stick and just mash it into a bowl and or mug and they have great success with it, I just buy the puck and toss it into my bowl, seems to be the best for me, and then this way I switch between Williams and Arko, I get a nice little mix of both since I just toss a puck of something in there once I get to only having a few shaves left.

I know the Arko die hards won't mix n match and neither will the Williams guys, but hey, I do and I have no problem.

Whoever notices it first. Post any black Friday Arko specials in here.

I got 20 sticks already. But you can never have enough. 😃

For those of you that don't have a stash. I recommend getting some on black Friday. You probably won't find it any cheaper.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
there are alot of people that take the stick and just mash it into a bowl and or mug and they have great success with it, I just buy the puck and toss it into my bowl, seems to be the best for me, and then this way I switch between Williams and Arko, I get a nice little mix of both since I just toss a puck of something in there once I get to only having a few shaves left.

I know the Arko die hards won't mix n match and neither will the Williams guys, but hey, I do and I have no problem.
I’ve used that mix of Arko/Williams a lot and it is indeed very good. Over the past few months, I’ve gone strictly to face lathering and now only use Arko with few exceptions. It would be possible to make the mix and stuff into an appropriately sized piece of PVC pipe, press with a dowel and shape a decent WARKO stick but I’m not that adventurous.

i just use arko in the bowl, in the puck form, maybe someday I'll buy a stick and smash it down and put it into a container, but really for the most part, the puck works great for me, and the price is right $6.99 with free shipping.

I really could see myself using Arko everyday and or the most part since I got my puck, I have.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
i just use arko in the bowl, in the puck form, maybe someday I'll buy a stick and smash it down and put it into a container, but really for the most part, the puck works great for me, and the price is right $6.99 with free shipping.

I really could see myself using Arko everyday and or the most part since I got my puck, I have.
Same here. I may use another stick or an occasional Palmolive cream from time to time but ARKO is my soap of choice now. I’ve used most of the classics but none were significantly better especially from a cost to performance ratio. Also, I’m a dedicated face latherer.

I can't say for sure whether I prefer using the stick or grating it up and into my mug.

I know that I have had more shaves with it in stick form. But when I grated it in my Old Spice mug. It performs well too, but has a slightly different feel of the lather that made for a nice change of pace.

Arko is the only soap that I have used in stick and grated. So I can't really compare it to any other soaps in that regard.

But I do know. Either way you use it. Arko will perform very well.

Like many on the board, I have come to terms with the fact I like Arko and don't even mind its odor. To understand the depths of my depravity, it must be be noted I even used and liked Williams mug soap. Arko, however, has replaced Williams as the affordable soap that I recommend to others. For Arko, I grate it into a bowl and use it in that format since I bowl lather. It provides a great lather, especially given it's low cost.

I'm with you as well, I use Williams and like it, I have no problems with it now, you just have to know how to lather it, once you get it figured out, it's one of the best performing "cheap" soaps that are out there.

As a side note, I haven't used my puck of Arko in what the kids on twitch say is a "hot minute" so I'm going to start using it again for the rest of the week.

Cult of Arko is a real thing, and those us that know, we know!

I have a spread sheet of usage for Arko, for the puck I bought back in October. I’ve got 21 shaves with it now. And it’s got another a quarter left. I’m thinking 50 shaves max, and that’s a good deal for a $6.00 soap.

Plus once you use it enough, the smell does fade away and eventually it’s so faint that you can’t smell it anymore.

Arko and it’s performance is great.

Bowl lathered up some Arko for this mornings shave as it's been a while since I have done so.

Everything went well as expected.

Finished it off with a splash of mentholated witch hazel and a splash of Proraso Green aftershave. Then some Nivea balm for a great post shave face.

Who else in the Cult enjoys their winter Arko shaves?

Honestly, I don't think there is a bad time of the year to be using it.

Well here's my results for Arko usage.

10/5/2021Arko
10/6/2021Arko
10/7/2021Arko
10/12/2021Arko
10/14/2021Arko
10/15/2021Arko
10/21/2021Arko
10/26/2021Arko
10/28/2021Arko
11/1/2021Arko
11/9/2021Arko
11/15/2021Arko
11/16/2021Arko
11/17/2021Arko
11/18/2021Arko
11/22/2021Arko
12/2/2021Arko
12/3/2021Arko
12/9/2021Arko
12/11/2021Arko
12/13/2021Arko
12/27/2021Arko
12/28/2021Arko
12/29/2021Arko
12/30/2021Arko

I got exactly 25 shaves out of one puck of Arko that was purchased in October, so lets call it a month of usage........I was assuming I would have gotten at least 40 shaves, but that's ok. Now it's onto a puck of Williams to see what those results will be.

I'm bummed to say I have to give up the Arko!

It dries out my skin and I get itchiness in the evening time.

During the shave, it doesn't irritate and always produces superb lather but the skin dryness and evening itching is enough for me to drop it from my rotation.

I’ve used that mix of Arko/Williams a lot and it is indeed very good. Over the past few months, I’ve gone strictly to face lathering and now only use Arko with few exceptions. It would be possible to make the mix and stuff into an appropriately sized piece of PVC pipe, press with a dowel and shape a decent WARKO stick but I’m not that adventurous.
I mix Williams and Mitchell's Wool Fat with good results.

Top Bottom