What's new

Culmak Shaving Soap

Saw this soap on Connaught for a very good price, but I've never heard of it before. Does anyone have experience with this soap? Is this soap worth picking up?

If it's the same formula from years ago, it's a very average soap.

You'd be better off getting the cyril Salter lavender hard puck. What an awesome soap with a fantastic scent!
2nd the Cyril R Salter Solid soap suggestion. It's almost the same soap as DR Harris but much less expensive. Lavender barbershop type scent on it.

Also, Connaught has been selling the Cella Extra Extra Bio (green tub) for a great price. If you fancy a soft soap, that's a great choice.

Thanks for the advice! I've recently stocked up on Cella Extra Extra Bio through Connaught and will be revisiting for the Cyril R. Salter hard puck.

Reactions: nav
If it's the same formula from years ago, it's a very average soap.

You'd be better off getting the cyril Salter lavender hard puck. What an awesome soap with a fantastic scent!
Yes it's still an average soap. Strong lavender scent of the air freshener variety and not much body to the lather as well as having little residual slickness.

Last edited:
Yes it's still an average soap. Strong lavender scent of the air freshener variety and not much body to the lather as well as having little residual slickness.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I guess I was right not to get excited when I saw the culmak soap.

Reportedly, Culmak makes/made DRH, CRS and T&H hard soaps.

Haven’t tried the Culmak (house brand), but the aforementioned others are very good, ime.

PS. DRH Lavender & CRS are very similar, in terms of ingredients/performance, but in terms of scent, DRH is better (smoother), imo.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They have been around for a while I believe. They still make shaving brushes as well. If I saw some of the soap out here in Australia I would certainly but it and give it a whirl.

People seem to be saying the Cyril R Salter Solid soap scent is not that great. For what it costs, there's really nothing to find fault with, IMHO. The scent is not strong and does not persist after the shave.

Last edited:
I have to say YMMV. I've a puck / tub of Culmak in my rotation and have found it gives me a superb shave experience. Thick, kinda lavender scent lather, easy to make and build with lots of protection / slickness and a really good post shave feel. Its all about your prep IMHO. However the brushes leave a lot to be desired. Again I'm a SE shaver these days so that may be something to do with it.

I have to say YMMV. I've a puck / tub of Culmak in my rotation and have found it gives me a superb shave experience. Thick, kinda lavender scent lather, easy to make and build with lots of protection / slickness and a really good post shave feel. Its all about your prep IMHO. However the brushes leave a lot to be desired. Again I'm a SE shaver these days so that may be something to do with it.
I suppose I will have to try it after all given its low price point. Once I burn through the Cyril R. Salter puck that I purchased I will have to reconsider Culmak during my next spending spree.

Really ? I have to say I'm surprised to hear that. Can you tell me exactly what method you use ( brush used, loading of brush, bowl or face lather, added water etc ) on your Culmak soap to produce such a stellar lather ?

No magic, any of my synthetic brushes work.

3P-prep
Culmak-warmed by allowing to float in the sink
Simpsons T3- load brush then face lather (could this be it?)
3 pass shave with any of my SE razors
Cold water splash followed by a little 3P again.

Could it be the soft water I have?

Heres some pics of 60 seconds of palm lather Inc brush loading. With cold water.
IMG_20220323_102029.jpg
IMG_20220323_102059.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom