What's new

Cuff links

Does anyone know where I can get some nice cuff links? Online or otherwise? My father loves French cuff shirts and cuff links and I wanted to get him a nice pair for Christmas. I've checked various department and men's stores at the mall and if they carry cuff links at all they all seem to be in a dusty corner somewhere. The cuff links they do sell are pretty cheap and low quality.

Hey CaptainJ
I've had good luck online with sites like Ebay and the like. That being said, I wasn't looking for anything too high end. Is there something specific you were looking for? As you've probably realized already, the designs can range quite a bit.

Hey CaptainJ
I've had good luck online with sites like Ebay and the like. That being said, I wasn't looking for anything too high end. Is there something specific you were looking for? As you've probably realized already, the designs can range quite a bit.

I'm not looking for anything specific, which is part of my problem... I'm not sure if I should aim for something "classy" or something more fun. Is there any kind of cufflink "etiquette"? Since I don't wear cufflinks nor know anyone in my workplace who does, I don't have a good sense of what's generally acceptable. To me it seems kind of ironic that something that's considered dressy has so many random designs. Are sports themed cufflink okay in a business setting or are they equivalent to those themed ties?

I wouldn't go too "outside the box" with the design. If your father's in a more traditional occupation like financial advising then go with a classic piece. On the other hand, if his workplace is more business casual and he wears cufflinks more as a statement piece, feel free to be a little more creative (sports teams, etc)

I think Brooks Bros and Nordstrom are a good place to start

A friend of mine only wears French cuffs on his dress shirts. He gets most of his cuff links from antique stores or malls. He has a beautiful collection most of which have come from estate sales and ended up in an antique store. Most are quite unique.

strop

Now half as wise
Not sure if I have ever heard of any specific cuf link rules, beyond formal wear. I have always considered cufflinks to be one of the places that you can "push the envelope" a little. They are mostly hidden by the jacket, and usually one has to get close to study them to see that they may be a little whimsical. Braces and socks can also fall into this category at time. If you look at the baseball cuff links on the AE site, you would have to get close to them to figure out they really are made from a small piece of baseball cover.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Let's assume that the OP's father already has a decent assortment of cufflinks, being an established aficionado.

So ... how about some nice vintage links? Get a set of two-sided chain links off of e-bay. (That kind has two "faces" joined by a chain)

2Q==
proxy.php

Or maybe there's a certain semi-precious stone that he likes and you can find cufflinks with that stone ...

proxy.php
proxy.php

And of course lots of universities, military units, and other organisations to which he might have belonged have cufflinks ...

2Q==
proxy.php
Z

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone! I would say in my father's case, it's okay to "push the envelope" a little since his job is in a university setting and not something like finance where dress is super important... it's mostly just his personal style. There are so many neat cuff link designs that sticking with only classy ones seems to be really limiting.

I'll check out Brooks Brothers, etc. but I also really like the Etsy idea; there are some really creative, unique cuff links on there that I think my dad would really like.

strop

Now half as wise
I have a number of sets fo vintage links that I got at antique stores. Sometimes I'll find one or two pairs and sometimes a hundred to go thru. At this point I've become picky since I'm looking for the different and unique.

Given his work environement, I agree with the previous suggestion that you think about the things he cares about (hobbies, heritage, sports teams, etc). That's a great place to start. Let us know where you land though and how he likes them. Best of luck!

Tiffany used to be a great place, but they have just gone nutzo with the prices. A pair I bought less than 10 years ago for $90 is now $250.
I picked up a nice enameled pair on ebay with the Maserati trident for reasonable money ($30) shipped from U.K. and love them. If he has a favorite car maker, that might be something he doesn't have. You don't want to get him a pair that are too much like what he has. See if you can take a peek in his cuff link stash.

I wear cufflinks with my dress shirts (French cuff). Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack always have a nice selection. I've ordered from Charles Tyrwhitt and have been very happy with those as well.

Top Bottom