What's new

Cuban Coffees Anyone?

Was thinking of picking up som Cubita and wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on Cuban grown coffee beans?

I'd love to hear your thoughts/suggestions?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Ooooohhh... Cuban coffee.... NICE:w00t:

I love it, I never found it under a specific company. I always bought it by the kilo from private coffee traders. I never had a bad Cuban coffee...

If you never had any, find some. That's my only advice!

Good to know Luc, I have found some gourmet coffee shops that sell online and have been very tempted to pull the trigger but wanted to hear some thoughts first.

The problem is that the Japanese coffee market has consumed all the good lots of Cuban beans. Left over is the seconds so we dont get to have what was of 5 yrs ago. Much diffrent coffee today. The hurricanes have not helped either.

What's the status of Cuban coffee and the trade embargo in the states? Is it like everything else and a strict no-no or there some exception for coffee?

What's the status of Cuban coffee and the trade embargo in the states? Is it like everything else and a strict no-no or there some exception for coffee?

All the literature I can locate indicates that Cuban coffee is embargoed by the United States; however, there are companies that market coffee grown elsewhere as "Cuban."

texquill said:
All the literature I can locate indicates that Cuban coffee is embargoed by the United States

Doesn't the forbidden fruit always taste sweetest though? :lol: I brought back some Cubita coffee from my recent vacation. Not forbidden for me, and absolutely wonderful stuff!

There is no legal Cuban coffee in the states. Get caught recieving some and you will have to pay up. Interestingly as with Cuban cigars and other Cuban products as a US citizen you cannot enduldge in any way even when visiting another country. How they would ever know is beyond me.

There is no legal Cuban coffee in the states. Get caught recieving some and you will have to pay up. Interestingly as with Cuban cigars and other Cuban products as a US citizen you cannot enduldge in any way even when visiting another country. How they would ever know is beyond me.

It's a calculated risk some of us take :001_smile

Though the Obama admin does seem to favor lifting/easing the sanctions.

Was thinking of picking up som Cubita and wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on Cuban grown coffee beans?

I'd love to hear your thoughts/suggestions?

While you are there ask for cafe carretero. It is the old "guajiro" or campesino way to make coffee in the countryside.
Strong coffee and good cigars, tradiciones cubanas.

It's a calculated risk some of us take :001_smile

Though the Obama admin does seem to favor lifting/easing the sanctions.

I am with you, however if lifted what do you think it will do to the cigar market. Currently from what I see overseas you can purchase legit Cuban cigars for anywhere between 100-500 a box. If the ban was lifted we would incure a tobacco tax and on top of the price gouge that local brick and mortars tag on it would not be worth the end to the embargo.

But then there is the humanitarian side which supports giving the Cuban people a quality life. So what do you do???

Sorry for the thread jack!

Last edited:
I am with you, however if lifted what do you think it will do to the cigar market. Currently from what I see overseas you can purchase legit Cuban cigars for anywhere between 100-500 a box. If the ban was lifted we would incure a tobacco tax and on top of the price gouge that local brick and mortars tag on it would not be worth the end to the embarge.

But then there is the humanitarian side which supports giving the Cuban people a quality life. So what do you do???

You will see the quality of cuban cigars (would guess rum, coffees, etc too) go down the tubes for a while. Simply because the desire to have the new unforbiden fruit. Supply wont keep up with demand and quality controls will be cut to get sup par product into the market.

When the luster wears off you will see the quality come back. But on a hopeful note it may rekindle a tobacco resurgence which for us pipe/cigar lovers isn't a bad thing.

Also the best cigars come form Pinar del Rio an area next to Havana. where the dirt is perfect for tobacco.
If you use Cuban tobacco seeds from one area and plant it somewhere else you won't get the same cigar. That is the reason when we see some brands advertising that they are grown from Cuban seeds but it is not the same thing.
Eventually better relations with US will take place. Fidel will go "al carajo" and the Cuban people would take the opportunity to improve relations in the neighborhood of the Americas.
It is said thet Fidel took Cuba in a time machine to the past, we are in the 21st Century but Cuba is living back in the 19th Century or worst

You will see the quality of cuban cigars (would guess rum, coffees, etc too) go down the tubes for a while. Simply because the desire to have the new unforbiden fruit. Supply wont keep up with demand and quality controls will be cut to get sup par product into the market.

When the luster wears off you will see the quality come back. But on a hopeful note it may rekindle a tobacco resurgence which for us pipe/cigar lovers isn't a bad thing.

Do you think that Habanos SA will allow the overwhelming of the market? It would mean that the relationship of the current vendors means nothing to Habanos SA. Costs going through the roof in the US would affect the overseas vendors. I think Habanos SA would as they do now, keep a tight control on things(or I hope).

I am with you, however if lifted what do you think it will do to the cigar market. Currently from what I see overseas you can purchase legit Cuban cigars for anywhere between 100-500 a box. If the ban was lifted we would incure a tobacco tax and on top of the price gouge that local brick and mortars tag on it would not be worth the end to the embargo.

A noble thought, that ending the embargo will improve the "quality of life" of the average Cubano. However, in recent years, despite the tourism from Canada and Europe to Cuba's perfect beaches, things have gotten worse, not better. The average Cuban is barred from eating in hotels and restaurants that cater exclusively to foreign tourists, and is paid at the rate set by the government, not the rate the hotels pay their foreign workers who are in Cuba.

That is the sad reality of life in a communist dictatorship.

Gentlemen,
Anybody who drinks Cuban coffee knows that with it comes the Cigar, they compliment each other.
As for Tobacco quality in Cuba it was not developed by Fidel. B.C. there were very good brands like Bauza, H.Upmann and many mores that were priced depending on quality and whether they were hand rolled or not. Every Cuban could afford a good cigar. Nowadays every one thinks Habano= Cohiba.
Except for Education,medical care and the black market (the three top accomplishments of the tyranny) the quality of most items went down the tubes as it usually happens under communist dictatorships.
There will always be good tobacco leaves in Cuba; unless there is a pest infestation or some terrible ecological disater. What there will be no guarantee is of good people who would want to continue hand rolling tobacco for a living, and that my friends is no reason to keep a country in slavery

A noble thought, that ending the embargo will improve the "quality of life" of the average Cubano. However, in recent years, despite the tourism from Canada and Europe to Cuba's perfect beaches, things have gotten worse, not better. The average Cuban is barred from eating in hotels and restaurants that cater exclusively to foreign tourists, and is paid at the rate set by the government, not the rate the hotels pay their foreign workers who are in Cuba.

That is the sad reality of life in a communist dictatorship.

I agree and disagree. The Little Havana in and around Miami will have a huge impact on Cuba and the Goverment should US money be allowed back into the country. The movement is stronger then most know and the players are big. I think your last statement will be challenged.

Gentlemen,
Anybody who drinks Cuban coffee knows that with it comes the Cigar, they compliment each other.
As for Tobacco quality in Cuba it was not developed by Fidel. B.C. there were very good brands like Bauza, H.Upmann and many mores that were priced depending on quality and whether they were hand rolled or not. Every Cuban could afford a good cigar. Nowadays every one thinks Habano= Cohiba.
Except for Education,medical care and the black market (the three top accomplishments of the tyranny) the quality of most items went down the tubes as it usually happens under communist dictatorships.
There will always be good tobacco leaves in Cuba; unless there is a pest infestation or some terrible ecological disater. What there will be no guarantee is of good people who would want to continue hand rolling tobacco for a living, and that my friends is no reason to keep a country in slavery

Regardless of one's political leanings, I say it is sinful to use cuban coffee beans to make anything less than a cafe cubano. Anything else than the "espresso" is sadly just agua sucia - dirty water, and a waste of a fine bean. :biggrin:

Actually confilio, the state of medical care in Cuba is rather sad, notwithstanding the pontifications of one Michael Moore.

As long as the government controls what the people are paid and where they can spend their money, lifting the embargo will not have a significant impact on the Cuban people. It will have a significant impact on the wallets of the government.

Top Bottom