What's new

Cuban Cigars

I recently returned from a trip from one of those countries that permit the sale of Cuban cigars, i.e., any country other than the USA. I hereby invoke my right to remain silent regarding whether I purchased and smoked one (or more) of said cigars while outside of the USA. Assuming said cigars were, in fact, smoked, they were wonderful, particularly the Montecristo No. 2 and Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills.

But when I returned to the USA and dove back into my humidor, I became more appreciative than ever of the non-Cuban cigars available here at home. My first was a My Father from the Don "Pepin" Garcia juggernaut. Its taste was remarkably similar to that of the Cubans. In the succeeding days, I enjoyed a variety of legally obtainable sticks that exhibited a variety of flavors and nuances that I have not found in Cubans in recent years, e.g., Oliva Serie V, Arturo Fuente Canone Maduro, La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial (also made by Don "Pepin").

My conclusion: We're doing just fine without the Cubans; when the Cubans become legal they will cost an arm and a leg; Cubans are great, but I won't be obsessing about them from here on. What's your opinion?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If they become legal, I think the price will be good. They will have to compete with brands that are entrenched here due to the silly embargo. Communists are bad, yet we can trade with China and Vietnam Nam- silly beyond comprehension. The only reason we don't trade with Cuba is that politicians (of both parties) don't want to lose the Florida based Cuban vote.

My opinion is based on limited experience, but it has more to do with the differences in the Cubans vs the other options. I have had a few Cubans that were less than stellar, and would not pay for them at a discounted price. I have had some though, that were so different and wonderful, that I would find a way to keep some on hand. I smoked cigars for 20 years before trying a Cuban, and figured the mystery was a lot of hype. Now that I've had them, I have a hard time imagining enjoying cigars without them. I still love many of the Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars, they are among my favorites. I don't know when the embargo will be lifted, but I'm sure it will bring a boom to the Cuban cigar industry, which may not be a good thing for quality. I suppose I'll just have to see how high the prices go if it happens, there is a limit to what I'll spend on a variation of tobacco.

I stopped smoking cigars a few years ago. Still have a humidor pretty well stocked (reminds me I better check those credo units). The cigar boom of the late nineties flooded the market with a lot of poor quality sticks (both tobacco and construction); so I reached a point where I smoked Cubans exclusively, with the exception of the occasional Opus X and Short Story. In retrospect I'm sure Cigar Aficionado contributed to the demand for Cuban smokes by myself and many others, as well as the allure of forbidden fruit. Once/if they become legal I'd guess there would be an initial spike in popularity, but then it would likely even out.

I have not bought Cubans in a few years, but from what I have read the quality has really improved recently. I've smoked all the big names and enjoyed them very much, but didn't feel they justified the high price tag that came with them. Maybe I should revisit them, but the fact I can buy 3 or 4 quality smokes for the same price of just 1 Cuban always seems to keep me away.

this is a photo of me smoking a cuban cohiba while i was in cienfuegos cuba this past may..... i also was 3sheets to the wind but that was a spectacular cigar....

they are pricey as hell there for the cohibas.... *(the rum however was cheap and delicious... therefore i had much more rum than cigars..)

proxy.php

My chief opinion is that this embargo is the dumbest thing and there is no legitimate reason why it should still be in existence other than politicians fearing they would lose Florida in a political election. With that said, I have to agree with you. While Cubans are special and are high quality, there are some great non-Cuban cigars on the market today. This wasn't the case 10 or 15 years ago. Time has finally come to the aid of the tobacco farms in Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, and Honduras. Their tobacco has matured now that they have been cultivating it for 40+ years.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One day, before I die, I hope to see a picture of a honer who actually shaves his moustache or beard. :biggrin1:

One day, before I die, I hope to see a picture of a honer who actually shaves his moustache or beard. :biggrin1:

i butt ugly without that goatee... and swmbo says i look mean without it...... so it stays.....

it is a nice even gray color tho...

I am just waiting for the day when I will get to try out a premium blend, hand rolled cigar from the Isle of Kamut. Till that day, I am not worried about the embargo and not being able to legally buy Cubans ;)

Seanmckay

Jazzman:
Check out this Thread "Cuban Cigars and US-Cuba Relations";

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/194186-Cuban-Cigars-and-US-Cuba-Relations?highlight=

proxy.php
"My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best". Sir Winston S. Churchill

Thanks. That thread (which I participated in) focused on the legal issues. Here, I'm interested in folks' opinions on the quality of Cuban smokes. I have lots of interesting/crazy ideas about the embargo, but it's so easily avoided that I have been smoking Cubans for decades. My favorite original theory is that, in addition to Florida politics, our government won't let go of the idea that any country that permitted Soviet nuclear missiles to be based on its territory will never, never be treated like other countries until its government changes in a big way. As for the quality of the smokes, I think they are great, I think other countries are producing fine cigars, and I'm not going to worry about--or pay high prices for--Cuban cigars any more.

There are plenty of NCs out there that are fine and dandy. But- as always: smoke what ya like- like what ya smoke! The argument over which is better has and will last forever.

I may or may not have received a couple Cuban Montecristo no 2's when I graduated high school from a family friend. Theoretically those were the best cigars I've ever had, but on the same token I think there are plenty of good sticks that we can get legally in US. I think some of it is "forbidden fruit" and some of it that they really are good.

My opinion is based on limited experience, but it has more to do with the differences in the Cubans vs the other options. I have had a few Cubans that were less than stellar, and would not pay for them at a discounted price. I have had some though, that were so different and wonderful, that I would find a way to keep some on hand. I smoked cigars for 20 years before trying a Cuban, and figured the mystery was a lot of hype. Now that I've had them, I have a hard time imagining enjoying cigars without them. I still love many of the Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars, they are among my favorites. I don't know when the embargo will be lifted, but I'm sure it will bring a boom to the Cuban cigar industry, which may not be a good thing for quality. I suppose I'll just have to see how high the prices go if it happens, there is a limit to what I'll spend on a variation of tobacco.

+1

And I might add that I can hypothetically buy 3-4 really nice Cuban cigars for the price of 1 Opus X or similar NC sticks. Some Cohibas and other CCs are exceptionally high-priced, but so are many non-Cubans. By and large, if you know what you are looking for, the belief that Cuban cigars are hellishly expensive is way overblown.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Thanks. That thread (which I participated in) focused on the legal issues. Here, I'm interested in folks' opinions on the quality of Cuban smokes. I have lots of interesting/crazy ideas about the embargo, but it's so easily avoided that I have been smoking Cubans for decades. My favorite original theory is that, in addition to Florida politics, our government won't let go of the idea that any country that permitted Soviet nuclear missiles to be based on its territory will never, never be treated like other countries until its government changes in a big way. As for the quality of the smokes, I think they are great, I think other countries are producing fine cigars, and I'm not going to worry about--or pay high prices for--Cuban cigars any more.
Jazzman:
Point taken...I happen to love Cubans and I was 'hooked' so many, many years ago I can't remember when it happened (most likely after smoking my first Cuban). :lol1:

In my opinion, Cuban tobacco is like no other...and I too have smoked cigars from Mexico, Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Nicaragua (very rarely and only when my Cubans are in transit), but nothing compares to Cuban tobacco. That 'one & only: very distintive & unmistakeable' appearance (triple cap), strength, taste, flavor, aroma, , smoke and ash is only home to Cuba. The quality of a Cuban cigar is the result of the mystical union of five (5) elements;

a) Soil.

b) Varieties of Cuban cigar tobacco regions.

c) Climate.

d) The wisdom and knowledge of it's agricultural (planters, pickers, sorters ect...), & manufacture (graders, rollers, tasters ect...).

e) And most of all...the experience...since the 1700's ......it's in the Cuban Blood & Soul. :thumbsup:

Also, as to price and from where I procure my Cubans...why would I buy cigars from South American countries when I can have and enjoy the 'real McCoy' from Cuba at less than the prices for those other countries w/ shipping included?
proxy.php

proxy.php
“All Cubans are Cigars...but not all Cigars are Cuban”. CBJ

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
While some Dominicans come close, nothing quite tastes like a Cuban. There are a few Cubans that taste like Dominicans to me, like Monte C's, but for the most part I love that unmistakeable taste and aroma of a good Cuban.

Top Bottom