What's new

Cuba by Czech & Speake - Thumbs down

I've been very keen to try both Havana by Aramis and Cuba by Czech & Speake since reading about them here and on Basenotes. Fortunately I had samples of both arrive on Saturday and have been trying them out.

I tried Cuba today and find it to be the most repugnant scent I've ever encountered. I liked the first 30 seconds or so, then got a long lasting blast of swine fecal note that just wouldn't die down for over an hour and a half. It's now over 3-1/2 hours since I put it on and that nasty smell has finally given way to a really nice tobacco-leather scent. But I won't be wearing Cuba again due to the awful fecal middle note that occurred for me.

I wasn't impressed by any Czech & Speake cologne. (Thought the grapefruit one was the worst). Cant complain too much though they sent me their sent library for free along with a hand written thank you for inquiring about their products(unlike Pens which just threw some vials in an envelope).

Cuba is sniffable as art, straight from the vial... but it really does smell like a bar fight in progress, and unless you're a hardcore biker, this is going to be too rough for the average joe.

I've reviewed the posts for Cuba on Basenotes and have to completely agree with what "lightray" posted:

===
"This really is a puzzle?! 16 reviews before me, 3 neutral and 13 possitve. Nobody else here mentions the fecal smell? I did some quick research and on other sites they say Cuba contains civet. Well I don't know whether that is the cause of the pong but there is certainly something wrong with the scent! Others get rum, cigars, wood, etc....but all I get is the smell of ar*e (or a*s for you yanks).

After the fantastic reviews above I hunted this down and found it in Harrods and Selfridges.

Tried it first in Harrods and the female assistant who sprayed the paper strip for me smelt her fingers afterwards, turned her nose up and said she'd need to go wash her hands. I then went to the Bond No9 counter and the assistant there had a whiff and also detected the very pronounced fecal note...I three the paper away.

Thinking the bottle at H was tainted or that it would transform once warmed on my skin I went to Selfridges 1 week later and tried there....but the same problem, except now it wasn't paper that smelt of a*se, it was my hand! Again I checked with another assistant who confirmed all he could smell was faeces too. I determindely left it on me to wait for the booze, cigars to burn through the poo...but it never happened. It just smells of a*se from start to finish. Now there is something vaguely intriguing about the smell but it certainly doesn't smell good and smells nothing like my experience of Cuba.

I wonder if the batch these two bottles came from was bad? Surely nobody would buy this? Or perhaps my nose is overly sensitive to the civet, but then why did others get the bad smell too? I really don't understand how our reactions could be so different from the other reviewers? I wanted this to be a better version of Idol or Havana but what I tried was unwearable!"
===
It's now 7-1/2 hours after I initially put it on and it's died down to mostly a tobacco and leather scent - heavier on the tobacco. However, I'm still catching occasional whiffs of that awful fecal note and it spins my head each time.

C&S scents are the most body chemistry sensitive fragrances I've ever experienced. If they work for you, they're great. If not... you smell like you described. Luckily, we have samples:001_tongu

Cant complain too much though they sent me their sent library for free along with a hand written thank you for inquiring about their products(unlike Pens which just threw some vials in an envelope).

At least I got samples from Penhaligon's. I ordered C&S samples on Sept 23 and have yet to see anything from them. :confused1

I tried Cuba today and find it to be the most repugnant scent I've ever encountered. I liked the first 30 seconds or so, then got a long lasting blast of swine fecal note that just wouldn't die down for over an hour and a half. It's now over 3-1/2 hours since I put it on and that nasty smell has finally given way to a really nice tobacco-leather scent. But I won't be wearing Cuba again due to the awful fecal middle note that occurred for me.

Same thing happened to me. It literally smelled of dung. :9898: :thumbdown

At least I got samples from Penhaligon's. I ordered C&S samples on Sept 23 and have yet to see anything from them. :confused1
August 28th for me. I got an email last week which conveyed their apologies for the long wait and said I should receive the samples within 4 weeks.

Yep. That god awful smell is the "signature" note in most of C&S scents. Its even more present in Citrus Paradisi and Myrrh & Frankincense. Both of which I can't stand. However, in Mimosa and Rose, it actually adds A LOT more quality to the overall scent.

As long as its toned down, its not half bad but when its cranked up as it is in Cuba, its pretty bad.

Yep. That god awful smell is the "signature" note in most of C&S scents. Its even more present in Citrus Paradisi and Myrrh & Frankincense. Both of which I can't stand. However, in Mimosa and Rose, it actually adds A LOT more quality to the overall scent.

As long as its toned down, its not half bad but when its cranked up as it is in Cuba, its pretty bad.

Ohhhhhhh Mimosa made my wife double over into the vomit position; it smelled like someone tipped over the port-er-pot :ohmy:

Good to know. I'll stay away from them in the future as that smell completely knocks out any enjoyment of wearing it for me.

I'll never complain about vanilla notes in a male frag ever again!

That's interesting...clearly their frags are embraced by many, so perhaps it is a personal chemistry thing.

I must protest! :001_tongu Czech & Speake is one of my favourite houses and I think the Cuba is great (as is the Citrus Paradisi and Oxford/Cambridge). I certainly didn't pick up said fecal notes. Wasn't a huge fan of the 88 or Dark Rose unfortunately. Of course the world of scent is completely subjective so to each his own.

I must protest! :001_tongu Czech & Speake is one of my favourite houses and I think the Cuba is great (as is the Citrus Paradisi and Oxford/Cambridge). I certainly didn't pick up said fecal notes. Wasn't a huge fan of the 88 or Dark Rose unfortunately. Of course the world of scent is completely subjective so to each his own.

Glad to hear someone else likes Citrus Paradisi. I got some a couple of weeks ago and love it more everyday. How can anyone not like O&C?

I did not have a lot of Cuba to work with, but this overwhelming fecal note stuff baffles me. That is not my experience of Cuba.

Top Bottom