What's new

Cuba Anyone?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I'm thinking about going to Cuba for a 3 day weekend. Cigars are my main objective.

Any thoughts? Advice? Anyone else going?

No advice. Just wanted to state that I'm jealous. My brother just got back from the Dominican and brought me back some Cubans. I haven't smoked them yet.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Just make sure you buy the sticks from Gov't stores like La Casa

Exactly. This is the most important. But from gov stores or direct from factories. Assume all cigars you buy off the street or from bars are fake (although most fakes are made locally and still Cuban tobacco; that Cohiba ain't a Cohiba, but it may still be delicious, sonifbuourenout ajd need a cigar just know you're not getting the real thing but take the plunge and pay accordingly).

I went there in 1997 and visited a cigar factory in the Vinales valley that was rolling Partagas. Amazing experience. You're going to love it. Go to a factory. Go to Verdadero beach. See live music. Go dancing. You will be incredibly welcome in Cuba and will feel very safe.

Oh, and a trip report and pictures are mandatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I need to go one day. I really want to do PR, but the wife knows my proclivity towards women from that island :)

Hirsute

I need to go one day. I really want to do PR, but the wife knows my proclivity towards women from that island :)

I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be in trouble in Cuba too...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be in trouble in Cuba too... [...]
Owen & Hirsute:
Oh hell...I'm screwed...I once had a lady friend: "Long, long time ago. I can still remember how
that [lady] used to make me smile...". ("American Pie", Don McLean), from Panama.
proxy.php

Cuba - 4.jpg
"Autentica Cuba". Tourism Slogan

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
It's basically a cash only if you are coming from America. Stick to buying from LCDH stores.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Exactly. This is the most important. But from gov stores or direct from factories. Assume all cigars you buy off the street or from bars are fake (although most fakes are made locally and still Cuban tobacco; that Cohiba ain't a Cohiba, but it may still be delicious, sonifbuourenout ajd need a cigar just know you're not getting the real thing but take the plunge and pay accordingly).

I went there in 1997 and visited a cigar factory in the Vinales valley that was rolling Partagas. Amazing experience. You're going to love it. Go to a factory. Go to Verdadero beach. See live music. Go dancing. You will be incredibly welcome in Cuba and will feel very safe.

Oh, and a trip report and pictures are mandatory.

Thanks. Now I need a travel partner. Mrs. OldSaw doesn't want to go. One friend who wants to go needs to renew his passport. Would love to go with my son but on a grad school budget he can only go if I pay for everything and he also needs a passport.

I don't want to do months of planning. I just want to get tickets and go.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It's basically a cash only if you are coming from America. Stick to buying from LCDH stores.

I've been pondering this. All the "official" reports say I have to exchange dollars for Cuban convertible pesos. Let's say I want to buy a box of Partagás Serie D No. 4 and hand the guy a couple of U.S. hundred dollar bills, what can I expect to happen?

Hirsute

I've been pondering this. All the "official" reports say I have to exchange dollars for Cuban convertible pesos. Let's say I want to buy a box of Partagás Serie D No. 4 and hand the guy a couple of U.S. hundred dollar bills, what can I expect to happen?

There are three currencies in Cuba: US dollars, peso equivalents (convertible pesos) (1:1 exchange w USD), and the older Cuban pesos (last time I checked the exchange rate was about 20:1, and they may be phased out now). Keep your dollars. They spend better, and every business that interacts w foreigners will accept them gladly (cabs, bars, hotels, etc).

Only do your shopping for cigars at the official state run stores. You can see the product, see the prices up front, and pay in dollars without haggling.

If you do decide to buy off the street, look at the product closely to make sure you're getting the real thing and then buy the exact box you looked at. Don't let them swap it for a "sealed" box. With product in hand, exchange the cash. Watch your surroundings. Cuba is generally very safe, so I wouldn't worry about getting mugged in a transaction like that, but you should worry about getting ripped off. If that happens, your basically on your own.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So there is a tax on converting American dollars to Cuban dollars. I can not off the top of my head remember what it is. I would recommend converting your dollars to Euros, then go down there and convert to Cuban pesos. I believe the tourist version is the CUC.

Top Bottom