What's new

Crystals on briar?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I can't seem to get a good picture of it, but I have a glittery substance in the chamber of an unsmoked pipe. Can crystals form on briarwood? It's an unsmoked Savinelli Orient 644 KS that has been sitting it's pouch and box for at least two or three years since I've purchased it. I was having a discussion about non-black stems and it make me think of the pipe (I forgot that I had it). When I pulled it out, I noticed the chamber sparkled when introduced to bright light. It is not noticable unless bright light is shined in the chamber. Has anyone else experienced this?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I can't seem to get a good picture of it, but I have a glittery substance in the chamber of an unsmoked pipe. Can crystals form on briarwood? It's an unsmoked Savinelli Orient 644 KS that has been sitting it's pouch and box for at least two or three years since I've purchased it. I was having a discussion about non-black stems and it make me think of the pipe (I forgot that I had it). When I pulled it out, I noticed the chamber sparkled when introduced to bright light. It is not noticable unless bright light is shined in the chamber. Has anyone else experienced this?

Is the bowl coated?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Is the bowl coated?

Clean briar. I managed to get a couple of shots that slightly show. It just looks like a few specks of debris in the pictures, but it's quite reflective and abundant when shining a light on it in person.

20200409_222532.jpg

20200409_222559.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I see em! Maybe resin from the briar? I don’t have any unsmoked pipes that I kept for that long. Any chance it’s an oil cured?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I see em! Maybe resin from the briar? I don’t have any unsmoked pipes that I kept for that long. Any chance it’s an oil cured?

I'm not sure. I was thinking something like that might be the cause. It doesn't have any discernible smell to it. This is the first pipe I've had that I've noticed this in. It's probably more from boredom, but I'm just curious more than concerned.

I suspect it is naturally occurring minerals in the briar itself. Since briar is actually from the root section of a plant, it's likely to have dust, dirt, and minerals accumulated in it as grows. As long as there are no large inclusions, the minerals probably make the briar more durable.

Top Bottom