What's new

Cryogenic treated blades

I'm from the show-me state and inherently a skeptic and iconoclast.

There is a website offering the same blades that can be purchased elsewhere but having frozen the ying-yang out of them--thus treating them cryogenically, making them stronger and last longer.

Anyone have any experience with this.

Here's the link:

http://www.greatrazors.com/index.asp

MJB (aka Marc)

I have quite a bit of experience with the Mach 3 variety of these. For me, they lasted damned near forever!! Seriously, I could shave daily with a cryo M3 cartridge for a month.

Granted, I don't have a real heavy beard; but still - no BS - these things really did what they were supposed to do.

This is a topic that really interests me, is there anyone else out there who has experience with these, what were your impressions, good or bad? Also, does this treatment make for a better shave as well as more durable blades (as is claimed on the web site) I undeerstand how freezing the blades would make them stronger but does it make for a closer shave too?
Thanks, AS

Well this is where I am--

In the interest of being more cost effective I considered a Merker HD and when it failed to be ship, I viewed it as a message from The Almighty to stick with a cartridge razor. Still, my psyche demanded something new. So I purchased a Fusion Power (highly recommended by some) and cryogenic blades and an oil storage system from RazorMax--hoping not to need a new cartridge once a week.

My thoughts so far. Even though it looks ridiculous, I really do like the Fusion power. With the cryogenic blades and RazorMax storage system, there has been no drag whatsoever after a week of shaves; by contrast, Mach 3 blades air stored started to drag for me around day 4 and by day 7 were unacceptable and routinely replaced.

Still, RazorMax is imperfect in that the oil system is a bit messy--I'm getting the hang of it. Also after a few days the Gillete lube strip peels away this stringy goo which seemed to gum up my shave--so I wiped off the lube strip and will see it that works better.

Thanks for all who have been opened minded and helpful as I continue to find the perfect shave for me.

MJB (aka Marc)

MJB said:
hoping not to need a new cartridge once a week.
(aka Marc)

Once a week? How I envy you! I decided to give up on my M3 (powered one), and switch to a Merkur HD, because I have to change cartridges/blades 2 to 3 times per week. I guess that you could say that I have a coarse beard. The cost savings with the HD vs the M3 are significant and I find that I get a better (closer & more comfortable) shave.

NMMB said:
Once a week? How I envy you! I decided to give up on my M3 (powered one), and switch to a Merkur HD, because I have to change cartridges/blades 2 to 3 times per week. I guess that you could say that I have a coarse beard. The cost savings with the HD vs the M3 are significant and I find that I get a better (closer & more comfortable) shave.

And I thought I was doing something wrong :biggrin: That's why I got a straight. Sick and tired of having to replace the catridges so often and they're so stinking costly! I've never heard of these cryo blades, had I I'd have given them a try.

Let me tell you more about the Razor Max.

The theory here is that the wear and tear on blades over time is not the beard but the oxidation of the steel between shaves. So the belief is that by storing the cartidge in oil, oxidation doesn't occur and the blade lasts longer. The sense I get from the RazorMax folks is that cryogenic tempering may help--the bigger help is the oil storage and second line is cryogenic tempering.

Yesterdays shave--still a bit of gummy junk and I continue to wipe away the remnants of the lube strip. One tiny catch yesterdays--but I gotta blade it one me--aciddentally made first pass against grain on chin and rest of shave was AOK--day 8.

MJB (aka Marc)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
MJB said:
Well this is where I am--

In the interest of being more cost effective I considered a Merker HD and when it failed to be ship, I viewed it as a message from The Almighty to stick with a cartridge razor.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure that a lot of folks here would would interpret this as a sign that The Almighty doesn't like you too much.
:jump:

Not me, mind you, but others might draw that conclusion.

Well, using cryo blades and the oil storage RazorMax system about 12 shaves the last 2 of which were sketchy. The system is a bit messy overall and I will probably abandon it--too much effort for the amount of saving. Maybe I'm sorry that I cancelled by HD order after all.

MJB

I heard about these cyro-blades a year or so ago and and the science behind it all makes sense to me. I know that a lot of performance engine builders out there have parts and even whole engines cyro'd to stabilize the metals. Makes it stronger and lasts a lot longer. Same thing goes with a lot medical equipment and such. For my part though, I've never tried it. Switching from a cartridge to a D/E years ago (with the exception of my Headblade) I find that D/E blades are just too cheap to mess around with. Even the cartridges that I use for my Headblade are just the cheapy store brand versions and they last about a good week. A ten pack usually costs me around $5.00 and they last a good two months or so.
On the other hand, I have tried the oil storage before. Way too messy for me. I found that the mess that I was making was not worth the few extra shaves that I was getting. My advice would be to try out a D/E, you might take to it and like it and it is a hell of lot cheaper. That is until you develop one of the addictions that run rampant here.:blink:

-Pary

Top Bottom