What's new

Crusty Old Type - $4 find

Plus bonus matchbook in the baggie thing it was in.

Before:

After 2 hot water/dawn baths + toothbrush scrub:

Not sure what the 3 dots on the top of the head are from - the ones on the edges are more worn than the one in the middle. Also I was unable to find a serial number. The blade it came with appears to be a newer type DE blade but I have done almost zero reading on blade history. The corners of the head look to be bent slightly inward.

Wouldn't you love to know the history of that razor during the last 90 years, and how many owners it's had? If only razors could talk!

The handle does not appear to be cracked. That's a plus!

Let me tell you I don't find it impressive.
People find Toggles at $1.50. Can you match that?

The matchbox that came with the razor could have been priced at $3.50, with the bundle price at $4 so basically I have a really old razor for $.50. I don't see how that could be topped other than free. :a11:

I think the handle is a solid one, from a Tech. Hence no splits.
proxy.php

The handle on the one @spolct found has no ring near the top of the handle, and the knurling goes full length. The hollow press-fit handles seem all to have a smooth (or smooth with lettering) band near the bottom.

As far as the dots go, I'm thinking that the alignment studs were installed like flush rivets, of a different (softer?) alloy than the rest of the head.

I think the handle is a solid one, from a Tech. Hence no splits.

The handle on the one @spolct found has no ring near the top of the handle, and the knurling goes full length. The hollow press-fit handles seem all to have a smooth (or smooth with lettering) band near the bottom.

As far as the dots go, I'm thinking that the alignment studs were installed like flush rivets, of a different (softer?) alloy than the rest of the head.

Sounds about right. Funny how over the span of 80-100 years these things morph a bit as parts get swapped around

Sounds about right. Funny how over the span of 80-100 years these things morph a bit as parts get swapped around
Especially when some of the parts (press-fit ball-end handles) are inclined to crack and fall apart, but the heads are still fine (or possibly superior to new heads).

If you want a heavier handle the Yintal Bronze, solid brass, is $14 on AliExpress, and the handle is very grippy. I shortened it slightly and rounded the end off. On an Old Type head it makes a great razor.

Old Type Mine.jpg

Great find and clean up!!! The three dots are like @Jon Ross said, the alignment pins and the threaded handle stud were pressed into the head! Enjoy the shaves!

Tom

Plus bonus matchbook in the baggie thing it was in.

Before:

After 2 hot water/dawn baths + toothbrush scrub:

Not sure what the 3 dots on the top of the head are from - the ones on the edges are more worn than the one in the middle. Also I was unable to find a serial number. The blade it came with appears to be a newer type DE blade but I have done almost zero reading on blade history. The corners of the head look to be bent slightly inward.

Yours is a thick cap made in the '20s, it won't have a serial number on it. One of the best razors for shaving but YMMV.

Top Bottom