What's new

Crunch Time-Need A New PC Laptop or Ultrabook In Less Than Two Weeks

That sounds good. The question I'd post to the OP is whether the inconvenience of a tablet (like I'd almost certainly need a compatible bluetooth keyboard) are worth the effort considering how often this will be used for work where those inconveniences even matter. (How often would I actually need to pull out the keyboard? Truthfully, not often, but I would need it at times.) Compare that to the benefit of having something very small and simple at other times, or how you'll use whatever you buy at other times. Oh! And the money.

Last edited:
When I travel for work, I have to take my work issued laptop given all the security we have- there's no work around for this. If you're in the same boat, the second computer (tablet/netbook) will be used for personal use - mostly consuming media (videos, pictures, videos, books, magazines, the web). Tablets are a dream for these purposes. The on screen keyboard is also fine for light typing - short email replies, FB status updates, filling in websites. The voice dictation greatly assists with such tasks and is greatly underutilized (IMO). Thus, you might not need a keyboard at all. (I didn't until recently). If you find yourself in a situation where you frequently feel that the on-screen typing is limited, there are dozens of covers with keyboards built in that don't add too much weight/bulk and don't require carrying something separate. There is even a piece of plastic that provides almost no footprint but allows you to rest hands on the on-screen keys! (see touchfire.com) (I use the touchfire - it's only marginal but I need it so rairly I didn't want any extra bulk).

I just bought a Lenovo Y500 for around $830.00 a few months ago.
Pretty good specs for the price:
I7 processor
8gb of ram
1920X1080 screen resolution.
1 tb hard drive.
decent graphics card: GT750.
pretty great speakers(JBL)
Ultrabay- which lets you add another graphics card, more memory, another fan...etc.

Gents, thank you for the continued responses. Asking about computer hardware is about like asking what someone's favourite car is. No one thinks exactly the same about them. And do no worry about thread jacking. This sort of cross talk is extremely valuable when gauging a purchase.

The idea of a tablet crossed my mind immediately. However, there are a few considerations. First of all, judging from her fit of anger at my Kindle Fire, the scrolling and virtual keyboard, whatever I get her will most certainly need a keyboard. I am going to ask her about a tablet tonight but I am almost certain she will say it needs a keyboard. I doubt she is interested in carrying around an accessory bag either.

About the MS Office suite. Though she will have her company laptop available for the sensitive work stuff, I know her habits will dictate that something that works with or identical to MS Word and Outlook will be needed. I can hear it now. "Honey, how do I get Word on this tablet thing?" Sometimes she works from home by necessity. Her company's information is handled through MS Office for the most part other than custom software for certain management features. So the creation and editing of docs and Powerpoint(rarely) presentations is needed. I GUARANTEE you she is not about to learn Open Office or something else. She is pretty good with software but she is, dare I say, a woman. And they like their things the way they like them. Using a pc without Office is likely not going to happen.

The strange thing with her is though she likes certain things, she won't geek out about it like we will. She wants the thing to work and be light. The "heavy" lifting part of it will be left up to me. And I want to make sure there is nothing too awkward about it. While she is very good at working out how to use software, she cares nothing for the tech side of things. If I leave it to her she will have a bargain basement model from Wally World she will hate. Just because she thought it looked like a bargain. Now I have to balance cost to effectiveness. I would never describe her as a power user. Absolutely no gaming in her world. No video editing or things of that nature. It would be much easier if I had a list from her that said; "I need the ruddy thing to this, this, and that." Unfortunately it is unlikely, despite the list I made above. I am also trying to hedge a better equipped model into this to ward off a having a paperweight no one wants to use. The hdmi connections and other amenities are cheap ways to make it more useful. I need to do it fast though. She leaves the 7th of July.

Cheers, Todd

I've had an Acer Aspire for a few years now and am definitely a heavy user. With working and college full time for most of it's life, this thing has been lugged all around campus and the city for meetings and courses. It still runs like a top, has a great keyboard set up and is lightweight. For my uses, weight was a prime consideration. I'm just unwilling to haul around a heavy laptop. Cost came in under $700 and weight-wise my 80lb wife had one as well until transitioning to a tablet recently.

This thread fanned my AD. I'm now the owner of a 9" Nook. I mostly want it as a portable DVD player, since I couldn't find a portable DVD player I liked. Burned a couple of DVDs, and definitely need to work out a better solution. The scaling on the default Nook player isn't up to snuff. I probably need to convert for the exact resolution, since I doubt any player will scale better at run time. I put this off because I dread converting all my DVDs, especially the 131 disc Dark Shadows coffin box.

Thanks for the moo prod, Todd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom