What's new

CROX on Fabric Strop

I looked around and couldn't find much info on this... I am just getting back into SR shaving after a few years off and was watching some Geofatboy vids on YT. In one he used green CrOx on the fabric side of his strop. Granted this was to get a new SR from "sharp to shave ready" but it begs the question... is that a thing? Wondering if that's a good idea one one side to use occasionally but use then "clean" side of the fabric for daily use? How often would I need to use that treated side? It's great to be back here, you guys have always been super helpful. Thanks!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If you want to strop with CrOx on a fabric strop, I suggest that you use two separate frabric strops - one pasted and the other kept clean and separate from the pasted one. Do not use just one strop with one side pasted and the other kept "clean". CrOx can, over time, work through the fabric so that it infects the other side of the strop.

Yup, pure Chromium Oxide is a great stropping paste for razors, just make sure you are getting pure Chromium Oxide. Green Polishing compound is not the same and will not produce the same shaving edges. Polishing compounds are mostly Aluminum Oxide with a bit of Chrome Oxide.

Kremer Pigments will sell you 100 g for about $10, more that 10 lifetime supply, about 4 oz.

Chromium Oxide has been used for hundreds of years on razor strops. It is about equivalent to 20,000 grit finish.

A separate strop is much better to prevent cross strop contamination. You can purchase a Cotton or Nylon webbing for a for a few dollars at any fabric store,

Thanks to both of you. I was considering getting a fabric only strop, probably from Tony, to use with CrOx but wonder if I'd be better off just going the balsa route?

IMHO. I also suggest using a separate strop. I have this habit of using a strop with cromox. I like to use about 20 passes after I finish on a stone, I think for most finishing stones that I have the cromox helps in the process. And when the SR starts to lose the advantage I give the cromox strop a few passes, it holds the sharpening for a little longer. If you want to save money you can buy a cheap chinese strop for that (that's what I use). The leather side is terrible, but the cotton side is very functional.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I use my old Dovo strops that I beat up way back when. The leather is toast, but they are now dedicated for cloth with CroOx. It’s a shorter strop and only 2” wide but works well for this purpose. Some old strops to be had where the cloth linen component is still intact.

Top Bottom