What's new

Crown&Sword ERN 1166 trouble child

I am about to sell my C&S. It's a great shaver but has a slight turn in the spin. It doesn't affect the shave but it's there. how do you disclose this to the seller?
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thoughts?

Regards,

What effect does that have, if any?

The reason why I call it a problem child is because it hones evenly on either side. Which is a good thing but you know there is a turn until the heel of the razor.

Zenas, to answer your question. the blade itself is not bent or warp. If you look down the cutting edge can see clearly that the length of the blade is straight and true. If you put a piece of paper on the top jibs and cover the tang, you will see the the spine from that point forward is straight. I've tried to photograph it. It shaves great, hones with no problems.
proxy.php

can't escape the shadow, no light box.

Kind regards,

Great looking blade!

I need a little more help understanding the issue. do you mean that the spine has a slight curvature?

Great looking blade!

I need a little more help understanding the issue. do you mean that the spine has a slight curvature?

From the upper and lower jibs forward there is no curvature. from the jibs back to the end of the monkey tail/tang yes. If you look down the razor you can see right where the jibs end so does the turn.

My test was honing it. wear on both sides of the blade are the same per side. some razors wear heavier on one side a opposed to the other, this has less that 1mm more wear over the other side (edge and spine equally). the edge under my microscope is very nice, striations are even heel to tip. Its just a problem child, "I" know it shaves well but it's not in the rotation. Livi, Williams, Filarmonica, two C.V Heljestands plus two carbon fiber scaled Engstrom framebacks are in its way of seeing daylight. Now add my fascination with DE's:blush:

Last edited:
Question, what do you think would be a fair price for this razor. yes I know it's a subjective question but I am trying to be as fair as I can to the prospective new buyer.

Kind regards,

I think that most would refer to the problem as "a slight twist in the spine".

When the metal is annealed to harden the blade and give it its sharp edge holding characteristic, the blade can twist. Annealing involves heating the metal and then rapidly cooling it.

You should disclose the fact if you are trying to sell the razor and see if the buyer has a problem with it.

I have seen many modern razors (and vintage) that have the same issue and they are sold like that as new.

The inital honing will often shape the honing bevel and edge so that the problem is a none issue to the owner. If you look carefully, one side of the honing bevel will be wider at the toe end of the blade (the tip) than on the other.

We don't advise on selling prices on the forum, but if you do a search either on this forum or on some of the other shaving forums, that make of razor is frequently on sale.

If you overprice it, somebody may comment or maybe you will have to keep dropping your price until you find a buyer.

Incidentally, the market for razors is not great just at the present.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I think that most would refer to the problem as "a slight twist in the spine".

When the metal is annealed to harden the blade and give it its sharp edge holding characteristic, the blade can twist. Annealing involves heating the metal and then rapidly cooling it.

You should disclose the fact if you are trying to sell the razor and see if the buyer has a problem with it.

I have seen many modern razors (and vintage) that have the same issue and they are sold like that as new.

The inital honing will often shape the honing bevel and edge so that the problem is a none issue to the owner. If you look carefully, one side of the honing bevel will be wider at the toe end of the blade (the tip) than on the other.

We don't advise on selling prices on the forum, but if you do a search either on this forum or on some of the other shaving forums, that make of razor is frequently on sale.

If you overprice it, somebody may comment or maybe you will have to keep dropping your price until you find a buyer.

Incidentally, the market for razors is not great just at the present.

I hope that helps.

It helps very much, thanks. The intended buyer is not a member of this forum. I want to offer a money back guarantee if the shave is not up to standard. I've been trying to put this in terms that i would understand and appreciate if the razor was being sold to me. all of your perspectives have helped very much. Kind regards,

Top Bottom