What's new

Crown King Travel Scuttle

Just bought a Crown King Travel scuttle. Was considering the ceramic scuttle, as it won't be used for travel, but I really don't like having ceramics in my bathroom especially heavy ceramics to be used with soapy hands.

Anyone have one yet? Wondering if I should've gotten the ceramic one instead.

No you should not have bought the ceramic one IMO! I bought the Crown King Scuttle and I have said for a long time I wish someone made a stainless steel double wall scuttle. I am not fond of plastic anything. And Ceramic around sinks is an easy way to break something! BUT, this Crown King plastic scuttle is as good a scuttle as I can get. If I drop it it won't break. And, it is light enough full of water. Put it in the microwave and heat the water up hotter than comes out of my hot water tap. I have been using a plastic larger outer bowl and a smaller silver plate bowl as a compromise scuttle (sort of) now for a long time. I tend to drop ceramic anything at some point, especially with even the slightest amount of soap on my hands. I have several ceramic nice looking and different size scuttles. They all look very nice but are really too heavy and and are not very practical. Easy to drop and easy to break and also they don't stay warm for very long. So, IMHO I think the plastic Crown King scuttle works the best ever for me. The best I have ever used. I would still like a stainless steel scuttle because as I said I am not fond of plastic anything! The Crown King version is a perfect size and I like the way it heats it up in the microwave. It seems well designed and the warmth lasts a longer time. Nothing like warm lather IMHO!! I leave the fabric sleeve on full time, as coming out of the microwave it is too hot to handle without the sleeve.

I don't use a scuttle, so take this with a grain of salt. My opinion is that you made a good move!

Ceramics are asking for an accident around the bathroom here.

I have a ceramic scuttle I never use, I do travel a lot and some hotels now only use disposable plastic cups-they don't hold any heat, so I thought this was a great idea and I will likely use it when not travelling, showed up last night so first use will be tomorrow

No you should not have bought the ceramic one IMO! I bought the Crown King Scuttle and I have said for a long time I wish someone made a stainless steel double wall scuttle. I am not fond of plastic anything. And Ceramic around sinks is an easy way to break something! BUT, this Crown King plastic scuttle is as good a scuttle as I can get. If I drop it it won't break. And, it is light enough full of water. Put it in the microwave and heat the water up hotter than comes out of my hot water tap. I have been using a plastic larger outer bowl and a smaller silver plate bowl as a compromise scuttle (sort of) now for a long time. I tend to drop ceramic anything at some point, especially with even the slightest amount of soap on my hands. I have several ceramic nice looking and different size scuttles. They all look very nice but are really too heavy and and are not very practical. Easy to drop and easy to break and also they don't stay warm for very long. So, IMHO I think the plastic Crown King scuttle works the best ever for me. The best I have ever used. I would still like a stainless steel scuttle because as I said I am not fond of plastic anything! The Crown King version is a perfect size and I like the way it heats it up in the microwave. It seems well designed and the warmth lasts a longer time. Nothing like warm lather IMHO!! I leave the fabric sleeve on full time, as coming out of the microwave it is too hot to handle without the sleeve.

Def feel better about my purchase now.

I use a similar scuttle rig:

IMG_0398.JPG

Vikings Blade bowl, works great.

I would say, the aesthetics of it are as nice as any other scuttle, you don't have to worry on it breaking, which pottery can easily do, plus you saved a few bucks vs pottery/ceramic. I see nothing there to cause any regret in the purchase. :thumbup:

I like mine. I think it is well made, works fine, and appears to be pretty durable. I also have the ceramic version. I broke the first one I had, but ordered a scratch & dent replacement because I liked it so much. Both versions work well, but the plastic definitely has the bonus of being indestructible. The ceramic with imperfections is about half the price and the imperfections were small on the two me and my son have. No regrets with either.
Steve

Well it does keep the later warm and it worked quickly. I think I have found a keeper. More than enough lather for an 8 pass shave
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm considering this tool as well. Much as I'd like a vintage Old Spice or other mug, I've broken more than one ceramic mug by knocking them carelessly off the countertop. Since I face lather, I don't need a bowl for that, but as the guy says on his website, it can't hurt to rest your brush in a warm bowl in between latherings. Plus I can use it if I ever start with soaps.

I also bought one and used it for the first time today. I have never used a scuttle before but found it builds a nice amount of lather easily given the ridges inside the bowl. Filled it with hot tap water which was sufficient for a 3 pass shave plus touchup. I have to say it was nice using warm lather. Normally my lather cools own after the first pass. I don't float my bowls in the sink because I like to rinse my razor with a blast of cold water as I shave. I had warm lather all the way through my shave. With the temp reading 25 degrees this morning, I really appreciated that. I like it and see myself using it throughout the colder months. I doubt I'll take it traveling with me though as it is a bit too big for the dopp kit. But this will be my "at home" scuttle. I have no intention of spending big money on a ceramic one that with my luck I'll drop shortly after buying it. So, with this great new addition to the den I now have 6 "bowls" for lathering. Two hand thrown pottery lather bowls from RD Pottery, a Turkish hand hammered mug with handle, a large (actually massive) hand hammered one without a handle, a plastic salsa bowl and the Crown King Travel Scuttle. I think I'm good. I actually don't think I have any AD's beyond wanting a vintage Gillette Old Type Bulldog. I now have everything I could want. Wait. scratch that. I am ALWAYS looking for new soaps, creams and aftershaves. :07:

Just ordered one. As I said above, I'm a face latherer, so it may not be used too much as a scuttle, but as a safe replacement for the Gary Larson "Far Side" mug I use to pre-soak my brush and also to rinse my mouth when brushing my teeth. That mug has lost its handle, so any day now I'm going to drop it from wet hands and need to replace it. So it might as well be with something tough.

I have one on the way and hope it works well. I've been loading and going right to my legs, etc for my lathering instead of bowl lathering. Maybe it will help bring me back to bowl lathering (if not, it was a waste of money I suppose).

Taking mine on a business trip tomorrow. I will stick with a cart, but everything else, including the scuttle will be the norm. I like it. Great product.
Steve

Used mine for the first time this morning. My soap lathering technique needs more practice. I may do the soap routine on weekends, when I have more time, and stick with the creams during the work week.

The scuttle itself worked fine, both for lathering and, after careful rinsing, as what the British used to call a "toothglass."

Good to hear. The only negative I've read about these is the rubber cork popping out.

Even if you are a face lather type, you can use the scuttle to keep the brush warm

I also rarely bowl lather, so don't know why I got it lol. I tried it out for a test run using Van Der Hagen soap. That soap was hard to get a good lather in the bowl. I need more practice Not the bowl's fault, clearly mine.

Update: loving my "travel" scuttle so much that I pretty much never use anything else, including face lathering. It hangs conveniently on a hook by its handle, out of the way and ready to grab. Will probably have some good stuff up for sale soon as a result.

Top Bottom