What's new

Crown King Shaving Scuttle Review.

For my birthday, my lovely wife purchased a Crown King Shaving Scuttle as a gift.

proxy.php

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Victori...eywords=Crown-Victorian-Western-Style-Scuttle

It arrived yesterday afternoon via two day shipping from Arizona in good order and this morning was my very first experience with it.

Combined, the internal reservoir and bowl use 2 cups of water to fill both so I had a pyrex measuring cup that I filled with exactly two cups of water that I stuck in the microwave for 2-1/2 minutes on high resulting in some very hot but not boiling water which I then used to fill the internal reservoir, then plugging the fill hole with one of the two silicon stoppers provided and then filling the bowl with the balance.

Then while I showered, I had my Badger Brush soaking in the bowl portion.

Anyway, after my shower, I emptied the bowl, loaded my brush with some Proraso Red after taking a wee bit of the water I used to bloom the soap into the bowl of the scuttle.

The bowl portion has both vertical and horizontal grooves carved into the interior surface to aid in the production of lather.

And they work very well indeed as within just about 30 seconds the bowl was filled with lather and at the 1 minute mark, it was overflowing!

And as expected the lather was VERY warm, kind of what you would expect from a barbershop and a real treat to shave with.

And the lather stayed warm all through my 4 pass shaving process.

If you care to click on the link to this item on Amazon.com you can pull up the reviews. The first one is pretty indepth (I kinda suspect it written by the company that manufactures these) there are some pretty good picture.

On reviewer did complain that the bottom was not even and had a wobble to it. Mine does not have this issue.

My one and only nitpicking issue is the graphics on the side of the scuttle. I would have preferred a plain white finish with the branding on the bottom where it usually is on ceramic items.

IMHO, well worth the money and space on your sink!

Very nice. I couldn't see the pic you posted elsewhere so I was glad to see it here.
one of those may end up in my shave cave one day.

Nice! I love not only warm lather but ice water lathers as well. It adds a whole new level to the wetshaving experience.

I know of one other user here on B&B that has one of the crown king scuttles, he likes the ridges that aid in lather making. His only complaint was to do with the stopper. His arrived with the wrong size stopper but they quickly sent him the correct stopper and some soap samples for his trouble...pretty solid customer service I would say. He is due to have a G-20 any day now, I wonder if he will find a substantial difference between them and what it will be. I know the G-20 is constructed differently and should stay warmer longer but I am still curious to see how a head to head user perspective pans out. But for the price, the Crown King scuttle seems to be an excellent option for sure (based on your review and that of others)

Today was my second shave using the CK Scuttle.

I increased the temp on the water a bit and filled like before.

Once again, it built a beautiful lather very quickly and it retained the temperature throughout my normal 4 pass shave.

This time I used AOS Sandalwood with a few drops of menthol concentrate added to the bowl.

The cooling effect of the menthol combined with the hot lather made for a very nice sensation on my skin.

A most welcome addition to my shave den.

I am a fan of the GP scuttles, but point is, once you start using a scuttle, the plain bowl looses its luster.
Congrats! Enjoy your scuttle.

Top Bottom