What's new

crown king plastic scuttle

has anyone used one of the crown king shatterproof scuttle. i am really interested in it. and wonder what is ever ones thoughts

I bought one earlier this year, and use it every day to soak my badger brush -- and, after rinsing carefully, as a toothglass when I brush my teeth. With soap samples, I lather them in the scuttle, but with full-sized soap tubs and with creams, I face-lather. The scuttle is light; I don't have to worry about breaking it as I have ceramic mugs; and with the internal ridges, it's easy to work up lather.

Besides, if they send along a sample of their Atmotic soap, you'll have another soap to try. The stuff won me over and I bought a full-sized tub of it.

I like it for travel, I've used it a couple of times travelling. I'm normally a face lather kinda guy, but samples and travelling it's useful. I always have a place to soak a brush or to put samples in because they travel better than full size tubs. I will be using it for most of the month of July travelling

I was curious what it looked like so I went to their site. It looks pretty good me. If I needed one I would give it a shot for sure.
For just $26.95 how can you go wrong.

shatterproof.jpg

Is it made of plastic? I wonder how that compares to pottery for heat retention?
After all, the purpose of a scuttle is warm lather.

To me the soap that came with it smelled like old folks home so I gave it away.
My first reaction to the Atmotic was, "Women's pancake makeup. Meh." But then I tried it. It performed well. And somehow, whenever I used it, the scent stayed with me, or I kept imagining I had it with me . . . and so last week I broke down and bought a full-size tub.

Thanks for posting a pic from their site.

I'd like to see it folded too if someone wants to post a picture

I don't use scuttles but the heat retention query has spiked my interest.

+1
I use a mug & am intrigued at being able to get a warmer lather. I currently use a mug I set it on another mug that is filled with very hot water. It works but isn't the most convenient.

I stumbled across the ceramic version of that scuttle very early on in my wet shaving transition, and highly recommend it if you are looking for a nice warm lather.
After trying to prop various mugs/bowls in my sink in the hot water...with varying degrees of success, after trying the scuttle I was a very happy man.
Keeps my Chubby 3's and the rest of the lather in the bowl as warm as you make the water in the water jacket.
Some soaps and creams will respond differently with the extra warmth (I use slightly less hot water for MWF for example), but still trial and error has solved every issue.
I'm a big fan of toasty lather... It's worth the slight hassle to make my shave just that much better.
I'll definitely look into this plastic version for travel!

Cheers

I got it a couple of months ago and have used it many times with very good results. It keeps the lather warm which is rather nice. For me at least it works better than my ceramic scuttle and I don't have to worry about it falling and breaking on me. For travel is works great and I don't have to worry about it breaking in my luggage. The sample soap I got with the scuttle is great for lathering but the smell is only so so for me. I would recommend it.

Well it arrived today. Tested it out. I like it alot. I know its for travel but wish it was just a tad bigger around. But works great. Also used the free soap. I like the smell it reminds me of a sandalwood soap from india. But not overally scented. The lather seemed a bit thin but that could have been my doing. But shave came out great also used my new 1911 single ring.

As a female DE Wets Shaver, I have a lot of real estate to cover. The water has to be emptied and refilled after one side of my body. I pretty much load direct to my legs now, so haven't used it much. The first time I used the soap, I didn't like it. The second time was much better.

Top Bottom