What's new

Crown King/Pheonix Artisan Accoutrements concern?

Okay, the "stolen valor" thing is bad enough, but maybe you can cut a guy some slack; maybe it sort of snowballed on him, maybe there were never any truly bad intentions, and a guy should be able to sweat out a little purgatory and move on...... BUT the constant forming of new names and businesses, is just such a douschey red flag. Whenever I have encountered this in real life, there are always reasons to stay away. It doesn't even mean a business is necessarily crooked, but just points to a list of reasons why a person wouldn't want to do business with them. It just bothers me that on more than one occasion I have almost bought something from a company, to find it was PAA, or HTGAM, or PFF, or whatever it is this week. I don't even care so much about the original controversy, it's just shady business.

The owner's personality is bad enough for me. Pile on the cyanide in his soap and lying about ingredients to the heap of wrongs he has done, and that should be reason enough for everybody to avoid him.

I just wonder how a company, a decidedly niche company, can weather this type of criticism.

Because with the influx of new wet shavers coming every day, most don't know. Especially on other forums where there maybe isn't the level of criticism, the amount of people gushing over his products is huge. And with a new start-up company popping up every other day, who could keep up?

A surprising number of people rushed to defend the guy, usually with the "playing a character like Aunt Jemima" kind of nonsense. They also made excuses for the other deceptions. Certain vendors (who lost my business) continued to carry the products and reordered when the new brand name was launched. There were many who thought his stuff was so great that they just didn't care and kept recommending them to newbies who didn't know the story.
The website for his new brand shows TM next to the logo, but I couldn't find any record of the trademark in the US database. That was also true of his previous soap brand. The bottom line for me is, there are plenty of great shaving brush manufacturers out there with excellent reputations that aren't taking shortcuts. May they all outlast Dougie.

Last edited:
Let's also not underestimate the effectiveness of a good puppet account campaign. If you look back, many of the users that defended his actions mysteriously opened their accounts just when he needed defending, then went silent soon after.

. Certain vendors (who lost my business) continued to carry the products and reordered when the new brand name was launched.

. The bottom line for me is, there are plenty of great shaving brush manufacturers out there with excellent reputations that aren't taking shortcuts. May they all outlast Dougie.

Yes to all of it, but especially these.

I actually have no idea what happened with Synergy and PAA, I only bought one product from them recently, the 1k soap.

A surprising number of people rushed to defend the guy, usually with the "playing a character like Aunt Jemima" kind of nonsense. They also made excuses for the other deceptions. Certain vendors (who lost my business) continued to carry the products and reordered when the new brand name was launched. There were many who thought his stuff was so great that they just didn't care and kept recommending them to newbies who didn't know the story.
The website for his new brand shows TM next to the logo, but I couldn't find any record of the trademark in the US database. That was also true of his previous soap brand. The bottom line for me is, there are plenty of great shaving brush manufacturers out there with excellent reputations that aren't taking shortcuts. May they all outlast Dougie.

The TM only serves to put others on notice that you are using the mark as a trademark, and establishes its use as such. They are not registered in the Patent and Trademark Office. That only occurs when it's registered (the (R) symbol), which follows an examination process that gives others who may contest use of the mark as such.

On shave the man a Facebook community the owner participates and gets a lot of love. He has a lot of fan boys who will stand up for him. One he is shady. Two his products are way too expensive for what you get. Stick to soap commander and Stirling.

As a new guy here, I wasn't aware of all the issues surrounding HTGAM/PPF/PAA.., now that I am, I think I'll be spending my money elsewhere. Thankfully I've only bought once of their soaps thus far. Thanks for bringing this to light for some of us newcomers!

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet. I started a similar thread a while back like the OP here. Just out of curiosity for a new brand I hadn't heard about. I was kindly supplied with some information and given the chance to make up my own mind. I find it completely ludicrous that this man can stay in business. I worked hard to earn my veteran status in real life. It is hugely offensive to me that someone would pose as a veteran and try to exploit a sense of patriotism in this country. I have forgiven the guy, even though I thought his apology was less than convincing, but I can't condone business practices like that. I will never patronize his business and I will also not patronize a certain online vendor that defended him and tried to shame people that chose to ostracize PAA.

Top Bottom