What's new

Crossing the Straight Divide

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Some strop after the shave to make sure the edge is dry.

I strop between shaves myself... I shave in the morning and strop my razor when I get home from work. It's ready to use when I'm done stropping.

Sounds like it's going well! :thumbup1:

Will not strop after the next shave. Not sure what the point is. Perhaps working on the principle. Always put something back the way you found it.

Will still oil the blade after. Oz the honemeister suggested it and it seems like a good idea. Alcohol will evaporate over time and may not necessarily protect the blade from moisture whilst in my bathroom which heats up and cools down a lot based on showers and room temperature.

Strops usually have 2 components, often a fabric & leather combination.
The fabric is sacrificial & prevents the leather from loading with crud. If you look at a linen strop that has had a few hundred sessions on it you will see it is quite discoloured.
As Luc said post shave stropping ensures the edge is dry but also clean. It has been accepted maintenance for centuries & makers like Boker, Torrey & Kropp all suggest it on the instructions that came with their razors.

Also remember any alcohol you can buy is a mixed with water. 85% rubbing alcohol is 15% water.
I also don't recommend leaving a razor in a bathroom whether its oiled or not.

Looks like stropping after the shave is a good thing. Mainly to ensure no water on the blade and to keep it in good nick (no pun).

Currently after a shave, I wrap the blade in oiled paper and store it in my bedroom which sounds like a good practice to maintain.

3rd Shave

Not good. :thumbdown

Although I managed to get a really close pass on my right cheek.:thumbup: Very happy with the smoothness

Tried my left cheek and cut my ear (why oh why are all the softest parts of the face so close to the most difficult bits to shave). Gave up the straight for tonight and finished with the DE. Will have to continue down this path even slower than I would like.

Will shave again with the straight in a few days. Got a meeting on friday so I can not afford to turn up to the meeting with fresh cuts all over my face.

Will not give up this adventure. I will push on, but have to journey slowly.

Easy does it Glyn. You may need to put more focus on where the toe of the razor is.
At least one side was good.
Thats my problem. Follow the toe. I am getting a mirror today that I can position better than the previous one I was using.

Luc

Staff member
Thats my problem. Follow the toe. I am getting a mirror today that I can position better than the previous one I was using.

Yes and be careful with pressure. If you can see better with the new mirror, it should help!

Don't worry for the scratches... You can say that you won the fight! :laugh:

Pressure is not the problem. Although I am surprised at how easy it is a simple nick can be a cut with slightest of a touch. I guess that is a testament to how sharp Oz got the blade.

Its more about proprioception, I think. The blade has to be an extension of your fingers & you must know/feel where it is at all times. Try touching both your index fingers together at arms length with your eyes closed. Then try doing it holding 2 pencils. Bit of fun & good practice.

Pressure is relative tho. Every chance your touch will be much lighter in 12 months or so

3rd Shave

Not good. :thumbdown

Although I managed to get a really close pass on my right cheek.:thumbup: Very happy with the smoothness

Tried my left cheek and cut my ear (why oh why are all the softest parts of the face so close to the most difficult bits to shave). Gave up the straight for tonight and finished with the DE. Will have to continue down this path even slower than I would like.

Will shave again with the straight in a few days. Got a meeting on friday so I can not afford to turn up to the meeting with fresh cuts all over my face.

Will not give up this adventure. I will push on, but have to journey slowly.

:laugh: I've cut both my ears before. Pull them back and you shouldn't have a problem anymore.

I am improving with each shave. Much happier today. I think the few days break has helped.

I managed to do both cheeks with opposite hands. The extra mirror has helped with my left side.

Still got a few nicks, mainly around my chin. No repeated nicks which I guess means improvement.

Chin and jaw (both sides) seem to be my problem areas.

Stropping worked well.

Todays shave was not as close as the last one but I am not too fused. Still a few areas did not get shaved well (mainly my chin). I will leave these undone for the night and do them in the morning with my DE.

Looking forward to number 5 which will probably be tuesday night.

You jumped in the deep end progressing so soon to chin & jaw but as long as the nicks are reducing progress sounds good. You may even find the narrower razor will be easier to use. Nearly ready btw :yesnod:

Wow. Things are getting better. No major nicks. Shaved both sides with not too much trouble. Still had trouble with my chin. Just not sure how to get the angle. Will get it eventually.

Still have only done 1 pass. Will not go beyond 1 pass untill I feel a little more comfortable with my technique.

Jockeys Straight Shaving Tutorial v3.0 Part 1 was very helpful
[YOUTUBE]rrP2T8phbwM[/YOUTUBE]

Well done Glyn. I'll be interested to hear which of the 2 razors you prefer. Possibly the smaller wedge will be even easier to manoeuvre.

I only started DE a few months ago but Im already reading all the threads about straight razors. It's crazy but I'm hooked. I will definately take my skills to the next level at some point in the future, but like you said I will respect the "tool" as it needs time to get used to. One thing is for sure, I will never go back to the old days of ingrowing hairs and razor burn from M3!!!!:thumbup1:

Luc

Staff member
Very nice work! Everyone seems to be learning the art of straight shaving 10 time quicker than me! :laugh:

Very nice work! Everyone seems to be learning the art of straight shaving 10 time quicker than me! :laugh:

It's not so much as learning quicker I think its more being able to absorb so much information and great resources that is around here and all over the web.

I know when I learnt DE shaving (on my lonesome) it took me a while with no web resources.

Luc

Staff member
It's not so much as learning quicker I think its more being able to absorb so much information and great resources that is around here and all over the web.

I know when I learnt DE shaving (on my lonesome) it took me a while with no web resources.

When I started with a DE, it wasn't so bad. I got good shaves in a week. BBS, took much more time... Then I switched and I can't recall a good shave in my first 10 shaves. I don't think I shave anything either...

Top Bottom