What's new

Crossdraw holsters. A Return to Yesteryear

B93662B5-DCF8-4985-9BBC-D3019D1C1E5E.jpeg
Back in the early ‘70s when I started carrying a firearm, my first set up was a S&W Model 19, 4” barrel (how I wish I still had it) carried in a Mixson Leather crossdraw holster. Mixson was a manufacturer from Miami and their leather gear was de rigueur for most law enforcement personnel in South and Central Florida. Pretty sure it was standard issue for the Florida Highway Patrol also.
Seems crossdraw holsters may be regaining some popularity. Figured I’d go old school and picked up a Wright Leather crossdraw holster for my SIG P365.
Very pleasant surprise. Most comfortable and ridiculously easy to conceal. Just may have to talk to Messrs. Andrews and Grizzle...see what they can concoct.
Any of y’all using a crossdraw holster?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I usually carry my .41 mag. crossdraw when I'm hunting or out somewhere that I might run in to something that could put a world of hurt on me...like some ticked off 300-400 pound wild hogs. I carry it about 11:00 with the grip right at my belt buckle.

I haven't had much luck with one for concealed with any of my carry guns. If I wear it at 9:00 position it creates a big bulge, and if I put it at 11:00 I'd have to button a jacket. For concealed I do 4:30. If I do that with my 6 1/2" .41 the end of the holster digs into the ground when I sit down. I've been thinking about getting a nice crossdraw field holster for the .41 from El Paso Saddlery or somewhere, but I haven't found one for the old .41 that's on the smaller .357 frame...Ruger apparently put their .357 and .41 Blackhawks on the .44 mag. frame now. I guess I could call a maker and see if they could produce one.

That's a nice looking Wright holster.

@simon1
Try r.grizzle
That guy has a boatload of molds. Does great work...and at a reasonable price.
Sam Andrews is another option. Not sure what his mold inventory is though.
Wright Leather is ok but the aforementioned makers are more than a tad better. Grizzle rig will be ready in about 10 weeks..sigh...
Wright holster is Mississippi bound

I have one, from Wright Leather Works. Purchased it for my Walther PPQ .45. It also works for my 9 mm PPO and all of my P99s.

The butt of the hand grip sticks out too far with all my pistols. Concealment is pretty tough. It's a nice holster, I just don't use it because I can get better concealment with other set ups. I personally don't see any upsurge in crossdraw holsters in my area. A lot of training courses specifically don't want you to bring any crossdraws to class.

Don

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
@simon1
Try r.grizzle
That guy has a boatload of molds. Does great work...and at a reasonable price.
Sam Andrews is another option. Not sure what his mold inventory is though.
Wright Leather is ok but the aforementioned makers are more than a tad better. Grizzle rig will be ready in about 10 weeks..sigh...
Wright holster is Mississippi bound

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I "think" the new model Ruger Vaquero is the same size frame as the Ruger old model 3 screw, but I haven't seen a holster for 6 1/2" yet. I'm sure El Paso could cobble one together for me. I was thinking about a basketweave 1920 one with button strap.

1920 “Crossdraw” – 2″ to 7 1/2″ Barrels – El Paso Saddlery

No. Crossdraw holsters can offer up a certain challenge if you’re shooting with someone alongside of you. Things can happen indeed.
Ryan Grizzle tells me he’s been making quite a few crossdraw pieces. Must be a regional thing.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I contacted El Paso Saddlery and Ken said they could make the 1920 Crossdraw for the Old Model Blackhawk, no problem. :a14:

Guess what I'm ordering in the near future.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Good deal.....

Yes, I've been wanting a quality one for years. The one I have for it is from a cheap Buscadero rig that came with it when I got it off a guy at work in the '70s, along with the Herrett's Shooting Star grips and a box of factory ammo that only had 6 rounds missing. I guess the guy didn't like the .41 mag. recoil. :lol: I punched some holes in the belt flap and threaded some rawhide through it so it would fit a 1 3/4 inch pants belt at the crossdraw angle.

It's a nice little Ruger. I had a gunsmith take the trigger pull down to about 2 pounds, and it's a classic Ruger...built like a little tank.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The only use I really see for a cross draw holster is for open carry of a long barreled hunting pistol, although there is some utility as a carry mode while seated in an auto. But other than that, I just picture the cheesy cop shows of the 70's and 80's showing their sport coats flaring open and revealing a poorly concealed weapon and a badge on their belt. YMMV. For civilian CCW, I have trouble with possible flashing of my weapon. Strong side carry allows a more rearward position less likely to be exposed.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm getting a bit stoked about the El Paso Saddlery crossdraw. It should be much more comfortable than the cheap one I use now. The last time I saw some hogs was a few months ago when I was fishing out at my pond and a few of them ran into the trees just the other side of the pond. My closest firearm was 75 yards away...in the house.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The 1920 Crossdraw from El Paso Saddlery is on order. I thought about the hammer thong or the button strap. The hammer thong is just about as quick as a thumb break if you have the tension on the leather thong right and know how to operate it so I got the hammer thong.

With the 1 3/4 belt loop, basket weave finish, and 6 1/2 inch barrel, along with state sales tax and shipping, it was $161. Not bad for the quality they put out.

Expected delivery is 8 weeks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The 1920 Crossdraw from El Paso Saddlery is on order. I thought about the hammer thong or the button strap. The hammer thong is just about as quick as a thumb break if you have the tension on the leather thong right and know how to operate it so I got the hammer thong.

With the 1 3/4 belt loop, basket weave finish, and 6 1/2 inch barrel, along with state sales tax and shipping, it was $161. Not bad for the quality they put out.

Expected delivery is 8 weeks.
Excellent. We'll be waiting!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Excellent. We'll be waiting!

I'll be a bit antsy waiting also. I've been expecting @OkieStubble to chime in and say his nylon Uncle Mike's or the kydex holsters are much cheaper. And he's right.

But this one for the old single action revolver has soul.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm getting a bit stoked about the El Paso Saddlery crossdraw. It should be much more comfortable than the cheap one I use now. The last time I saw some hogs was a few months ago when I was fishing out at my pond and a few of them ran into the trees just the other side of the pond. My closest firearm was 75 yards away...in the house.

EEEYyyyeeehawww.... man, I can just imagine that guy with a sore tooth and me the scariest thing he's seen in a long time to protect his sow from... (On the other hand, prepared and a good boar hunter & dog(s) with me? Yum, dinner!)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'll be a bit antsy waiting also. I've been expecting @OkieStubble to chime in and say his nylon Uncle Mike's or the kydex holsters are much cheaper. And he's right.

But this one for the old single action revolver has soul.

I don't think I would want an old classic 1911 or six shooter in a kydex holster. Kydex is meant for go to war pistols, not ancient relics. ;)

72444E59-74F4-4588-95DE-9F8097B1FC09.jpeg
86EB85EF-F712-4BAE-A126-E6301F28F98D.jpeg
520E5CA6-F5C8-465F-8075-EE196EDDC516.jpeg
Sigh....so seeing as how I’m not going to Afghanistan or Iraq anytime soon, I’m thinking my 10mm 1911 relic in my antique Horsehide holster will do just fine. Point to ponder:
If there were a contest and the prize was:
A 1911 and leather holster manufacturer of both your choice.
Or.....
The equivalent Plastic pistol in a Kydex holster, again...your choice-
Who would choose which???

View attachment 955514 View attachment 955515 View attachment 955516 Sigh....so seeing as how I’m not going to Afghanistan or Iraq anytime soon, I’m thinking my 10mm 1911 relic in my antique Horsehide holster will do just fine. Point to ponder:
If there were a contest and the prize was:
A 1911 and leather holster manufacturer of both your choice.
Or.....
The equivalent Plastic pistol in a Kydex holster, again...your choice-
Who would choose which???
Which 1911? A Wilson, Les Baer, or Ed Brown, or the like, it would absolutely be the 1911 (and leather holster, of course). A Charles Daly, on the other hand...oof, no thanks.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can recall some of the local sheriff's growing up carrying crossdraw. Never heard of any vehicular shootouts though.
In a carjacking attempt, cross draw would be ideal. Have you tried to draw your pistol while seated and wearing a seat belt?

Top Bottom