What's new

Crooked Teeth - Any Razor Orthodontists in the House?

I recently got a lovely Gillette Bulldog, which has been on my want list for a while. However, I was dismayed to discover that it has two bent teeth in the middle of one side of the head. :sad: Does anyone have any tips or tricks for how to straighten them without breaking them off?

Like someone told me recently, these teeth are very weak and have a tendency to break.
They have to be heated before being straighten, it's 50/50.

This is at your own risk, but on a few razors I've been able to bend the teeth back without mishap. I did not heat the razor up, just wrapped detailing needle-nose pliers with electrical tape and bent them back. Maybe I got lucky.

I have used cosmicdoom's method as well . . . with such mixed results that I would not attempt straightening teeth unless the razor was absolutely unusable as-is. (Especially on an uncommon razor such as a Bulldog . . .) Regard crooked teeth as battle scars on a well-seasoned warrior!

I've had luck using a soldering iron, no broken teeth yet but I have only worked on a couple.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for how to straighten them without breaking them off?

I'm not trying to add complexity, but you'd be well-served to take it to a jeweler, for a couple reasons:
1) The bulldog is comparatively rare, and silver plated ... it's not a trivial piece.
2) Jewelers are familiar with working with metals, have all the tools, and know the techniques best.

Save yourself the hassle and chance for failure and get the job done right.
-- Chet

I've heard of jewlers breaking them too, but have seen teeth soldered back on too. Couldn't do that on yours though.

This is at your own risk, but on a few razors I've been able to bend the teeth back without mishap. I did not heat the razor up, just wrapped detailing needle-nose pliers with electrical tape and bent them back. Maybe I got lucky.

Uh. I did this. And the tooth broke off.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll give it a try and see if the bent teeth affect the shave before deciding whether or not to try to fix it, though they are pretty badly bent.

Chet - I hadn't thought of trying a jewler. That's a good idea.

Omak- How have you used the soldering iron? Presumably you're using it to soften the metal before trying to bend it? How long do you heat up the metal before trying to work with it? Not sure I want to try it on a Bulldog, but I might give it a go on a less scarce razor.

Top Bottom