What's new

Croaps vs. Cream - how to tell what is what

How can one tell if their shaving cream is a cream or a croap?

What is the difference?

Do they both last as long as the other?

Thanks everyone!!!

A cream is much thinner than a croap. It is the consistency of an anti-bacterial cream. A croap is a softer soap that can be dug out with your finger.

Edit: Oh, and a cream will take less water than a croap, as creams contain more water.

Creams have a thinner consistency. Imagine something that you could squeeze from a tube, instead of scoop from a tub. Cream formulas differ, but usually they have more water and glycerin than a croap.

Croap is short for cream soap. IOW, something in between a cream and a soap aka soft soap.

Creams generally don't last as long as a croap. They are more diluted.

Creams have a thinner consistency. Imagine something that you could squeeze from a tube, instead of scoop from a tub. Cream formulas differ, but usually they have more water and glycerin than a croap.

Croap is short for cream soap. IOW, something in between a cream and a soap aka soft soap.

Creams generally don't last as long as a croap. They are more diluted.

Thanks for the info - that is good to know as I did not know that creams dont last as long. Oh crap, I better go though my newly acquired sample cream collections as quickly as possible. No one should have to suffer with their creams going bad !!!!

Thanks for the info - that is good to know as I did not know that creams dont last as long. Oh crap, I better go though my newly acquired sample cream collections as quickly as possible. No one should have to suffer with their creams going bad !!!!
Sorry, Mike, what I was trying to say is that creams will get used up at a faster rate than soaps (because they usually contain more water & glycerin).

It's also true that hard soaps can be stored a very long time without going bad.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have no idea!

Ambassador folk don't have to know those things. Moderators, well....they know everything! Just ask @luvmysuper ! Second smartest Mod we got here!

In my limited experience thus far with creams, they are not the same thing as croaps in a lot of ways. Croaps are basically less thoroughly cured soaps, or have ingredients that don't harden. Creams have more than just extra water in them. They don't take any technique whatsoever to lather and can be re lathered without bad results. I can wet my face, put cream on brush and paint it across my skin a couple of times. Add more water once, any random brushing pattern, done. No need for carefully building the lather to avoid over aeration. Need more lather in an area, dab the brush in water and paint on what left in the brush. Obviously some croaps, like other soaps, have benefits if you want to spend the time.

Croap is a made up forum word for soft soap, that hasn't aged as long. Makers can pump them out faster than hard soaps, that's why they have flooded the market with them.

Ingredients aside:

If you can easily scoop it, it's a cream.

If it's the consistency of a butter stick that has been in the fridge, it's a soap.

Interesting stuff, I am new to DE shaving and will have to look into these. Been using Proraso Green tube cream so far which has been amazing and made a huge difference over the store bought stuff.

I have creams that cost twice as much and more than Proraso green that aren't any better, if as good. :thumbsup:
That is good to know. I tried to do a bit of initial research before ordering what I did. I'm happy to hear the Proraso is good stuff even when compared with the more expensive items since I like budget related items as long as they are of quality. But I would love to look forward to finding some that works even better. I guess I can still look forward to different scents, although I'm not into that too much.

You might want to try one of the Proraso Single Blade creams, I hear good things about them. I have one in an upcoming order...

@discomike
Read my related noob thread. I thought my soap was disappearing. Lol!!
I didn't figure out the difference until it was explained to me here.

@discomike
Read my related noob thread. I thought my soap was disappearing. Lol!!
I didn't figure out the difference until it was explained to me here.

Thanks !

Im good with my ToOBS shaving creams. Not exactly a newbie to shaving as I've been DE shaving for 10 years. No worries about the creams going too quickly on me - even on the sample sized creams I just acquired.

What is new to me is using a shaving bowl with indentations in it.

What I discovered over the past few weeks (as long as I been shaving I just discoverd this now ???) I could never get much lathers in my bowl, or on my face - as what I would see in youtube shaving videos such as geofatboy. I wonder why....

The problem was with the "shaving bowl" i was using. I was using a used up smooth shaving cream bowl to lather my shaving cream (and soaps). When I looked at lathering videos over the past few weeks to see how everyone is getting plenty of shaving lather in their bowls, which then transfered to blizzard of shaving cream hitting their face from their shaving brushes, I discovered the missing link in my shaving arsenal. It was not the shaving cream I was using. No no no no no. The reason I was not getting a mountain of shaving cream on my face was because.....

I was not using a REAL shaving bowl. A REAL shaving bowl has indentations in the bowl to help aggitate the lather. This helps create mounds and mounds of lather that you scoop into your shaving brush. So now I know one of the many secrets to getting a good shave.... INVEST IN A SHAVING BOWL !!!!! Preferably with lots of depth... and/or one that has height so that it can hold your lather inside the bowl.

And yes... you dont need much to get a great lather. You need nothing more than an almond size scoop of lather in the bowl... or a gentle whisk in the cream to coat the top whisks of your badger. Save the boar brush for soaps as I have found it to react better than that of creams.

INVEST IN A SHAVING BOWL !!!!! Preferably with lots of depth... and/or one that has height so that it can hold your lather inside the bowl.
Well, luckily I researched that before starting to shave with a bowl, LOL!! (Initially I was just using brushless gels like King of Shaves & Cremo). I got a shaving bowl with ridges from day 1 so I've been pretty successful at getting a nice lather. My initial problem was the water content ratio but I got that resolved really quick with some advice here on B&B. Yes the last problem was figuring out that TOBS was actually a cream but I got that sorted as well.
All is good!🙂

Top Bottom