What's new

Croap

I would consider TOBS, T&H, Trumpers, and Castle Forbes to be croaps. The material is very stiff, but you can still remove a fingertip full to load your brush.

I think of creams being the really loose stuff like Nancy Boy, where it's really soft.

Cella & Proraso will probably get the most votes. Those are the most famous croaps and they perform well.

If TOBS cream was just a tad more firm, it would be croap as well. You can load it like a croap, in the tub, but you don't have to swirl much at all. When I think of creams, I think of tubes such as Proraso, Lea, Nivea, Palmolive, Gillette Pure etc. Those are real soft creams, like toothpaste.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've struggled with "croap" as a term. I have heard Cella described as a croap, and it certainly seems on the soft side, but it also strikes me that every RazoRock "soap" I've tried (with the exception of the What the Puck line) has been "croapy". So I guess puck soaps are soaps, and "poured" soaps are croaps; but then Stirling soaps seem too hard to be called croaps. And I've often wondered where croaps live on B&B -- in the soap, or the cream section. Okay, I think my Andy Rooney impression and verbalized "navel gazing" is done.

To answer the question, I like Cella and most RR soaps (e.g., Alchemy, Black Bay Rum).

Last edited:
So far 99% of the soaps I liked were soft and could be labeled croaps.
stirling, wsp, scheermonnik, vitos, razorock. Tobs is a bit borderline towards creams.
though on the hard soaps i tend to disliked I did like the performance of fine as a grated puck
Still want to try a stick of tabac for the performance 😝

I bought some of Supply Co's 'Ultra Lather Shaving Cream' It seems like a classic 'croap' consistency. They say to face lather it by dabbing on an almond size amount and swirling a wet brush over it. I really have not been into face Lathering but this seems to be a much better way to go with this. I guess it's somewhat like the consistency of TOBS, maybe a bit thicker because there's Shea butter in it.. it's an amazing product and I will be buying more. Any recommendations on more croaps? For me anything in a tube isn't croap and tub Prorrasso, isn't either. Some of you gents might have a different perspective on it

The list is long since most of my soaps are croaps for what its worth Barrister & mann and Ariana & Evans are standing out for me

Razorock: Mudder Focker, Irish Countryside, Dead Sea, Santa Maria del Fiore.
Proraso Green and Red
Scheermonnik
Cella Bio
Vitos

To me a croap is a broad category where the product has a consistency of that between tube or can cream and puck soap. I wouldn’t automatically put poured soaps in this category, because many of them harden beyond croap consistency closer to puck. If the word “cream” is in the name of the soap or is able to be dabbed, it’s not a croap.

I’ve only recently branched out and have to say that Cella and TOBS are phenomenally consistent performers in the croap category.

And I've often wondered where croaps live on B&B -- in the soap, or the cream section.
I’ve seen them mentioned in both places. My thinking on the subject is that if it can be squeezed out of a tube then it’s a cream but if it’s too thick to be squeezed from a tube then it’s a soap. Range wise Stirling and Chiseled Face would be the closest to the soap side of the spectrum and TOBS and TAOS closer to the cream side of the spectrum. As for my favorite croaps they would be:
Stirling
Cella original
RazoRock
In that order

Last edited:
Cella (tub) is meant to be firm ("croap"), but fresh TOBS, T&H and GFT creams are soft.
I Cellla Tub slightly softer than Prorrasso Green or Red tubs? For me those aren't croaps because you wouldn't scoop a finger full and swipe on for face Lathering

I Cellla Tub slightly softer than Prorrasso Green or Red tubs?
Cella is just slightly softer, AFAIR.

Caveat: texture will vary with age.

For me those aren't croaps because you wouldn't scoop a finger full and swipe on for face Lathering
I've had success with lathering a scooped portion of SMN (similar to Cella/Proraso in terms of firmness) in a separate bowl.

Cella Bio Bio
Taconic Bay Rum, the sample I received was softer than all the other soap samples I ordered. On the lines of Cella. Ordered some.

Top Bottom