What's new

Critters stealing cucumbers??

I have a couple cucumber plants which have been doing fine, but some critter has been stealing the cucumbers! I have lost at least half a dozen in the past several days. Some were partially eaten, others vanished. I put up a chicken wire fence around the plants Sunday, nothing missing today but a four foot vine loaded with blossoms was chewed off from the main stem. What animal could drag off a 10 inch cucumber? A groundhog? opossum? squirrel? Four tomato plants, full of green fruit, are next to the cukes, no apparent mischief done to them.

I sprinkle veggies in the garden with dried blood (available at most gardening stores). It's a good fertilizer plus it repels pesky varmints.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
We have Possums here that steal anything that I try and grow. They are a protected species here in Australia so there is not much that we can do about them. If you really wanted to know you could get yourself a cheapie trail camera and set it up. It might be surprising what you find on the camera when you play it back.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sounds like you have a rabbit. They can jump over just about any kind of fencing you've put around your plants, and get away clean. They ignore traps. They ignore those terrible sprays, which have to be refreshed frequently. They can get over or under fencing. They can't be stopped, once they get a taste for cucumbers. You may need to move.

But seriously, consider an elevated planter box next year. I have a 2x8 one from gardeners.com that I sited (accidentally but I 'm still taking credit) far enough from any good jumping spots that rabbits might use. And it's screened, so furry critters can't get a handhold. The height of the box plus whatever barrier you can make from what's around to further raise the sides might put your cukes out of reach.

Top Bottom