What's new

Critter Pics.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Crappy cell phone shot...couldn't see a damn thing through the screen...just pointed in the general direction and tripped the shutter. I may go back later with a real camera.

Guess that critter.

20180903_151522 (2).jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Camels, dromedary?
dave

And we have a winner. I couldn't even see that they had their heads back down grazing when I took the pic. as I couldn't see through the cell phone screen.

There are three of them in that pasture...I'll see if I can get a better pic. later with a decent camera.

A few of my favorites from my travels...

Near Cape Otway, Victoria 2015

20150811_9.jpg

Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, Tasmania 2015

20150810_12.jpg

Kuranda, Queensland

20150813_27.jpg

Juneau, AK 2017

30170613_14.jpg

Walking on the trail that runs outside of our cabin today the 3 of us came across more Red Efts

Had the phone this time

proxy.php

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Walking on the trail that runs outside of our cabin today the 3 of us came across more Red Efts

Had the phone this time

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh that's a tiny little thing. Looks like you have a decent camera on your phone.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Not outdoor critter, but....

Rock-a-byyye, and good niiiiight. They are so cute...when they're asleep.

DSC_0004 (2).JPG

Outdoor critter:

DSC_0012 (3).JPG

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Couple of guys that hang out in my front yard. Their does are out at dawn and dusk but they usually lay low until late at night.

IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My 25 year old started didn't want to give me phone back once he saw the deer. He is ready to set up a blind in your yard - grin.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

There are at least 4 different bucks up there, maybe 5. The oldest are only 3-4 yr olds. I named that one with the tall rack Tenderloin McBackstrap. My wife won't let me arrow any of them though.

There are at least 4 different bucks up there, maybe 5. The oldest are only 3-4 yr olds. I named that one with the tall rack Tenderloin McBackstrap. My wife won't let me arrow any of them though.
That's got to be frustrating, although it is nice to see them. Maybe she will have a change of heart if they start eating her garden or the shrubs.

Had the phone this time

proxy.php

proxy.php
Great Newt, and snake is too!

Not outdoor critter, but....

Rock-a-byyye, and good niiiiight. They are so cute...when they're asleep.

View attachment 916338

Outdoor critter:

View attachment 916339
Nice cat, and great Havestman! Was that taken with your new lens, and was it just tele with no extension tubes? Loos like you were able to get in pretty close.

Couple of guys that hang out in my front yard. Their does are out at dawn and dusk but they usually lay low until late at night.

View attachment 916968 View attachment 916969
Great looking deer, and I love the name! :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice cat, and great Havestman! Was that taken with your new lens, and was it just tele with no extension tubes? Loos like you were able to get in pretty close.

I'm still such a rookie I don't know what an extension tube is. Just now getting a handle on a converter.

Both were taken with the new lens. Camera on full auto...haven't played with shutter speed and aperture in a few days. Cat was at about 5 feet and zoomed in until it framed like I wanted it. Granddaddy Longlegs was at about 3 feet and also zoomed until it was framed like I wanted and the camera focused right. I play with the Granddaddy Longlegs all the time. Been doing that since I was a kid. Never been bit once. :lol:

Haven't seen the Kingfishers in a few days, but there are several subjects here from time to time.

There were three bucks that came up in the front pasture about 40 yards from the house all together about seven years ago all summer long, one older 8 point and two young ones. I named the 3 point one Oscar. Kinda funny... one time Oscar was by the side yard fence and I walked out the back door and looked over his back at a deer camp trailer about 300 yards away. The hunters were way back in the woods on the other side of the road. Hey guys...the deer are over here. Oscar just kept grazing away.

There are does in the front yard at night all the time. I don't hunt on my little bit of land...want to keep them coming up. If I hunt I'll go to another place.

A terrible pic. of a little buck from about 5 years ago taken through the window of the back door. He was in the backyard having a snack on the honeysuckle that grows on the backyard fence.

001.JPG

Edit: SWMBO came home and told me a buck like to had gotten into the car window while she was driving again...this time on the driver's side. They run out into the road all the time...I see road kill a lot, mostly does but she said this one was an 8 point. That's a close encounter.

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Same here. Shooting these deer would not be sporting. The best part of hunting for me is the camaraderie with a couple of guys and the camping.

These guys are entertainment and 'lawn art' for us. We had two sets of twins here this fall. Their spots are just now fading. We've seen the bucks fighting over the does. They're fun to watch.

Same here. Shooting these deer would not be sporting. The best part of hunting for me is the camaraderie with a couple of guys and the camping.

These guys are entertainment and 'lawn art' for us. We had two sets of twins here this fall. Their spots are just now fading. We've seen the bucks fighting over the does. They're fun to watch.
Yeah, my oldest keeps wanting to set up a stand in the back yard (woods), but I won't let him. We get deer and turkey every now and then.

I'm still such a rookie I don't know what an extension tube is. Just now getting a handle on a converter.

Both were taken with the new lens. Camera on full auto...haven't played with shutter speed and aperture in a few days. Cat was at about 5 feet and zoomed in until it framed like I wanted it. Granddaddy Longlegs was at about 3 feet and also zoomed until it was framed like I wanted and the camera focused right. I play with the Granddaddy Longlegs all the time. Been doing that since I was a kid. Never been bit once. :lol:

Haven't seen the Kingfishers in a few days, but there are several subjects here from time to time.

There were three bucks that came up in the front pasture about 40 yards from the house all together about seven years ago all summer long, one older 8 point and two young ones. I named the 3 point one Oscar. Kinda funny... one time Oscar was by the side yard fence and I walked out the back door and looked over his back at a deer camp trailer about 300 yards away. The hunters were way back in the woods on the other side of the road. Hey guys...the deer are over here. Oscar just kept grazing away.

There are does in the front yard at night all the time. I don't hunt on my little bit of land...want to keep them coming up. If I hunt I'll go to another place.

A terrible pic. of a little buck from about 5 years ago taken through the window of the back door. He was in the backyard having a snack on the honeysuckle that grows on the backyard fence.

View attachment 916997

Edit: SWMBO came home and told me a buck like to had gotten into the car window while she was driving again...this time on the driver's side. They run out into the road all the time...I see road kill a lot, mostly does but she said this one was an 8 point. That's a close encounter.
An extension tube is a tube that goes between you camera and lens. By moving the lens you can focus much closer, but loose focus far away. It really lets you get in close. Looks like your lens focuses pretty close for as long as it is, seems like it should be very versatile for you.

I used to play wit the Harvestman all the time as a kid too, we just called them Daddy long legs though. I don't see too many around anymore, I probably just need to get a little farther out of town I'm sure there still around. Here's a pic of another arachnid that goes by the same common name and the ones I see much more. A Cellar Spider this was taken with extension tubes and I was almost touching him with the lens.
P1040430.JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
An extension tube is a tube that goes between you camera and lens. By moving the lens you can focus much closer, but loose focus far away. It really lets you get in close. Looks like your lens focuses pretty close for as long as it is, seems like it should be very versatile for you.

I used to play wit the Harvestman all the time as a kid too, we just called them Daddy long legs though. I don't see too many around anymore, I probably just need to get a little farther out of town I'm sure there still around. Here's a pic of another arachnid that goes by the same common name and the ones I see much more. A Cellar Spider this was taken with extension tubes and I was almost touching him with the lens.
View attachment 917194

Oh that's a good pic. of the spider. I looked up extension tubes...I'm still learning. There is no place around here where I can get quality instruction...have to do youtube and such, plus just experiment. Used some filters today. Thank goodness for digital and I don't have to pay for development anymore. I took some crappy pics.

I should have taken a pic. of the Black Widow that was on the wall by the front door a couple of days ago. I bet I could find some more if I look under things in the shed. One used to live in SWMBOs flower pot on the front porch a couple of years ago.

I've never seen a black widow, or brown recluse other than pics or video and I usually do look at spiders and webs just to check. They're supposed to live around here, but not in large numbers. If I saw one I would take some pics if I had my camera, but I don't think I could let *** live too close to my house.

DFDC4FBB-7EBB-431D-8CD6-6B5025AF4480.jpeg
Some great pics in this thread. This isn’t one of them. A pair of well antlered bucks at Milwaukee’s Estabrook Park last weekend.

Top Bottom