What's new

Crew Neck or V-Neck?

You are getting dressed in the morning and you plan on wearing some sort of a collared shirt. Do you put on a V-neck undershirt, or a crew neck? Why?

I've heard many people say that you always wear a V-neck, as having your undershirt showing is as bad as having your underwear showing (eek!), but I like the look of a white t-shirt underneath a dress shirt (think Michael Bluth in Arrested Development). I feel goofy whenever I wear a V-neck undershirt, and much prefer the crew neck undershirt (like a T-shirt). I also like to wear colored shirts under button up shirts, so I very rarely wear white undershirts anymore. Regardless, the question is still interesting...

EDIT: James brings up a good point: there is also the option of the tank top / A-shirt / "wife beater" style undershirt.

A better question. Which would people rather see sticking out the top of a collared shirt where the top botton in undone, the collar of a crew undershirt or a patch of chest hair? Unless you're going for the '70s pimp look give me the collar of a crew shirt over the patch of hair anyday!

For me it all depends on whether you're putting a tie on with your button down shirt. If you are wearing a tie then a crew neck undershirt is appropriate. If you're not wearing a tie and have your collar open then a V neck is appropriate, this is especially true in corporate. I personally do not wear undershirts when I wear open collar shirts but I always wear a crew neck undershirt whenever I wear a tie.

Chris

I go for the V, as a rule. I keep only the collar button undone in the work setting with most shirts, because undoing the second button will show either way too much chest hair, or the V neck undershirt (now THAT is a sloppy look). I see a lot of guys in the corporate world wondering around with two buttons undone, and no undershirt. Do these guys wax, or what? Why no chest hair showing?

Also, I agree, if wearing a tie, then always a crew neck. This is especially important with a white shirt, since the undershirt can be seen through most white dress shirts to some extent, and a V ends up looking very unsightly under your tie.

Also, when casual, I usually either don't wear an undershirt, or go with a crew....

EL Alamein said:
For me it all depends on whether you're putting a tie on with your button down shirt. If you are wearing a tie then a crew neck undershirt is appropriate. If you're not wearing a tie and have your collar open then a V neck is appropriate, this is especially true in corporate. I personally do not wear undershirts when I wear open collar shirts but I always wear a crew neck undershirt whenever I wear a tie.

Chris

ditto.

Why do you hate v-necks? is it a comfort thing? if so you have crappy undershirts.. try even some middle range types from banana republic or brooks brothers, you'll notice they are much more comfortable.

I'm a v-neck guy, except when I'm not :)

here is no "right" answer to this - it really depends on what look you're going for - the exposed collar is a more of a student/preppie look - saw a ton of this while in Maine a few weeks ago.

Whatever you do, make sure that your white/light shirts are thick enough so that you can't see your undershirt through the shirt.

Personally, I don't like undershirts - for me, they just get soggy and take longer than the shirt to dry out.

I do agree that quality makes a big difference - especially with crew necks, as the collars on better undershirts (I have some for wearing around the house) hold their shape much better/longer, which is important as it will be on display.

Suzuki said:
Whatever you do, make sure that your white/light shirts are thick enough so that you can't see your undershirt through the shirt.

That is a good theory, which I try for. However, I have noticed that white dress shirts almost never fill this demand. On every white dress shirt I own, you can see where the undershirt sleeves end. This is everything from $40-$60 Polo and Nautica to $150-$200 Ungaro and Valintino. Does anybody else find this to be the case?

I'm clearly in the minority here, but I don't like the feel of an undershirt under my dress shirt.

They are hot, and feel bulky--and as an already, shall we say, robust kind of guy, I don't need anything adding more bulk to my profile.

I know that not wearing an undershirt probably decreases the life of my dress shirts, but as a teacher I'm not buying too many shirts that cost enough $ to worry about that too much.:redface:

S

Sam

There is no way I can keep an undershirt from appearing below my white dress shirts unless it is an oxford cloth shirt like a Polo dress shirt. I am going back to the crew t shirts as it looks wierd for a v-neck under a shirt and tie. Ill keep two or three v necks to wear with sweaters. the wife beaters as they call them, well, i like something under the underarm for sweat purposes and not to ruin a silk sweater or shirt

sam

Okay, while we're talking about dress shirts, I have a question for you guys. (Sorry to hijack the thread). Does anyone else need 36/37 length sleeves? I can almost never find them and when I do the selection is near non-existant (especially since I also require a 16.5 or 17 neck). Grr. Anyway I just wanted to rant about dress shirts (and my last search was at Macy's so they should have a decent selection of dress shirts and sizes, and they do just not my size).

fuerein said:
Okay, while we're talking about dress shirts, I have a question for you guys. (Sorry to hijack the thread). Does anyone else need 36/37 length sleeves? I can almost never find them and when I do the selection is near non-existant (especially since I also require a 16.5 or 17 neck). Grr. Anyway I just wanted to rant about dress shirts (and my last search was at Macy's so they should have a decent selection of dress shirts and sizes, and they do just not my size).

Adam! I can feel for you, Man. I am 6'5" and have a hell of a time finding pants or shirts that fit (I have what SWMBO calls an "Ape Index" of 3).

While they're not a great source for dress shirts, Gap XL Tall shirts fit quite well, and are good for casual kind of wear (some of their shirts are dressier, and they make a plain oxford style shirt in white and blue that I should probably try out).

Do let me know where you find shirts that fit, though!

You are getting dressed in the morning and you plan on wearing some sort of a collared shirt. Do you put on a V-neck undershirt, or a crew neck? Why?

I've heard many people say that you always wear a V-neck, as having your undershirt showing is as bad as having your underwear showing (eek!), but I like the look of a white t-shirt underneath a dress shirt (think Michael Bluth in Arrested Development). I feel goofy whenever I wear a V-neck undershirt, and much prefer the crew neck undershirt (like a T-shirt). I also like to wear colored shirts under button up shirts, so I very rarely wear white undershirts anymore. Regardless, the question is still interesting...

EDIT: James brings up a good point: there is also the option of the tank top / A-shirt / "wife beater" style undershirt.

A-Shirt is the way to go, no matter what they say!

With tie only: crew neck

With tie/sport coat/ suit: v-neck(since no one will see under the coat)

Mock: v-neck

Polo: v-neck

Marty

Adam,
JC Penny has a custom fit Big and/or Tall section. It is also available on their website. You give your size needs and in about a month you receive your custom made shirt or slacks. I am unsure if any other garments are offered. Your sizing information is kept on record for your next order. This may be an option for you if you are unable to find your size locally.
Sue

Top Bottom