What's new

Creole Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
First try.

One whole chicken breast, boned, skin on, cubed.
1lb Spanish Chorizo. I couldnt find Andouille at 7am when I went shopping.
2 large green Bell Peppers. Roughly chopped
2 medium Spanish onions. Roughly chopped
2 medium Jalapeno peppers. Finely chopped
3 large stalks celery. ~1/4" slices.
2 Tbsp each, Sea salt, Black pepper, Paprika, Garlic powder, Cajun seasoning and Parsley.
1 Tbsp Oregano.
2 oz each, Peanut oil and Olive oil.
1 large can diced and spiced tomatoes.
1L Chicken stock.
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice.

That made 4qts, or so.

Peanut oil in the Dutch Oven heating while I deboned and cut up the chicken. Chicken in, Paprika in, stir and blend well, stirring while I cut up the sausages. Sausages in, stir and mix with oil and Paprika. Left to cook stirring occasionally while I chopped the peppers. I had a really nice deep glaze on the bottom of the Dutch Oven at this point. Peppers in, stir and mix while I chopped the onions. Onions in, stir and mix while I chopped the Celery. Celery in, tomatoes in, chicken stock in. Seasonings in, Olive oil in, stir and mix well.

Half cooked, about 30 minutes. I could smell it from the sidewalk in front of my house at this point. Deep and rich.

IMG_3478.JPG

Another 20 minutes.

IMG_3481.JPG

Off the heat and I let it sit and steam for another 30-45 minutes. Friends have already started lining up lol.

Two orders up.

IMG_3483.JPG

I could have, maybe, left the Jalapenos out or added another Bell Pepper. Its hot but not too hot. It's deep, rich, spicy and filling! This is the kind of food that stays with you. I'm stuffed!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks.

Not bad for a first go. It smells strong because it is strong. I think I'd use about half the seasonings next time.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Looks awesome. Anything with rice I’m a fan of. Can’t get enough of it!

I know I need to cut the amounts in half. Theres a lot left over.

I wasnt sure if I should have skinned the breasts or not but I think the skins have broken down enough while cooking because I havent found any. I'm sure the skin and fat has added a lot of flavour.

The Chorizo isnt as strong as I had hoped. It could use a deeper smokier flavour but not sure which sausages would work the best.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My dad was a big fan of Andouille Sausage. It’s smoked usually and heavily spiced but I don’t recall it being spicy HOT. Pretty sure it’s made with chopped pork instead of ground pork, but that may vary by the manufacture. I don’t think he ever did it was Chorizo. Hopefully next time you can find the Andouille because IMO that would give you the smokier flavor.

I think my pops reserved Chorizo for eggs. Scrambled eggs and chorizo…yummmm. On a taco shell. Oooo boy.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My dad was a big fan of Andouille Sausage. It’s smoked usually and heavily spiced but I don’t recall it being spicy HOT.

I had hoped to find some authentic smoked andouille and thats what I'll be looking for. Theres enough heat in it as it is, it's at my limit but it needs that smokey depth. Another onion and another Bell pepper would have been good too. I didnt think I'd end up with as much as I did.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I had hoped to find some authentic smoked andouille and thats what I'll be looking for. Theres enough heat in it as it is, it's at my limit but it needs that smokey depth. Another onion and another Bell pepper would have been good too. I didnt think I'd end up with as much as I did.
You can munch on it for a few days though. So that’s a plus

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Nice, @Esox.

What you want to do now is hunt down some tasso and put that in there. You'll really know the good stuff, then!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Explain 'tasso' to me please lol.

This might be on the menu again soonish.

It's a chunk of pork butt (usually about a pound or two) that's been salt-cured a bit, rubbed with some pretty potent spices (cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder, and some other goodies), and then hot smoked. You dice it up and use it for seasoning like you would do with bacon or salt pork or something like that.

You can eat it straight, but that's not really what it's all about. It's pretty tough stuff because it's not cooked to the same temperature as a pork butt you'd want to slice or pull. Each chunk is rubbed separately, so it's pretty spicy stuff.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It's a chunk of pork butt (usually about a pound or two) that's been salt-cured a bit, rubbed with some pretty potent spices (cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder, and some other goodies), and then hot smoked. You dice it up and use it for seasoning like you would do with bacon or salt pork or something like that.

You can eat it straight, but that's not really what it's all about. It's pretty tough stuff because it's not cooked to the same temperature as a pork butt you'd want to slice or pull. Each chunk is rubbed separately, so it's pretty spicy stuff.

Thanks. I havent seen any around but I'll ask the butcher. I found a small butcher shop just around the corner from me and he does handle some very select cuts and specialty meats, The Hungary Butcher. Thats where I found the andouille but some things arent easy to find around me.

Top Bottom