What's new

Cremogena Blend

Long ago I got a tube of Neutrogena creme & it was kinda runny & messy, so I just set it aside, using it occasionally as a pre-shave application, just to use it up & be rid of it. I've had a tube of Cremo forever & prefer to bowl lather & have enough other soaps to use, so it lay forgotten next to the Neutrogena tube.

I decided to put a dab of each into a bowl & it lathers up into a really dense & ultra-slick lather.

I like to think it was my combination of razors & blades for a left/right shave comparison that gave the best-shave-of-the-week perfect shave results, but I suspect the Cremogena blend helped significantly.

Too many people seem to lack imagination & are slaves relying on a formula someone else made. I've had great results with blends that together, gave better performance than either of the separate components.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Long ago I got a tube of Neutrogena creme & it was kinda runny & messy, so I just set it aside, using it occasionally as a pre-shave application, just to use it up & be rid of it. I've had a tube of Cremo forever & prefer to bowl lather & have enough other soaps to use, so it lay forgotten next to the Neutrogena tube.

I decided to put a dab of each into a bowl & it lathers up into a really dense & ultra-slick lather.

I like to think it was my combination of razors & blades for a left/right shave comparison that gave the best-shave-of-the-week perfect shave results, but I suspect the Cremogena blend helped significantly.

Too many people seem to lack imagination & are slaves relying on a formula someone else made. I've had great results with blends that together, gave better performance than either of the separate components.

That is really interesting. I have seen that a dollop of Cremo in the bowl creates mounds of lather with whatever soap I'm using for that shave.

Would have never thought to combine Neutrogena Cream and Cremo.

Well done.

That is really interesting. I have seen that a dollop of Cremo in the bowl creates mounds of lather with whatever soap I'm using for that shave.

Would have never thought to combine Neutrogena Cream and Cremo.

Well done.
I actually got the Cremo to mix in to salvage some grated vegetable handsoap that lathered OK, but collapsed too quickly. The Cremo helped a lot, and further addition of some grated Williams made it worth keeping - it compressed into a hard puck that works like a stick to face lather.

I have found a dab of Cremo will enhance whatever shave soap I use.
Definitely get creamy, super slick lather with the combination and nice razor glide with no irritation. Leaves the skin very soft and smooth.
My every day lather combo.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I actually got the Cremo to mix in to salvage some grated vegetable handsoap that lathered OK, but collapsed too quickly. The Cremo helped a lot, and further addition of some grated Williams made it worth keeping - it compressed into a hard puck that works like a stick to face lather.
I have found a dab of Cremo will enhance whatever shave soap I use.
Definitely get creamy, super slick lather with the combination and nice razor glide with no irritation. Leaves the skin very soft and smooth.
My every day lather combo.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cremo is certainly not noted for producing large volumes of lather on its own.

Does anyone know what in Cremo causes the synergistic reaction with other soaps?

Cremo is certainly not noted for producing large volumes of lather on its own.

Does anyone know what in Cremo causes the synergistic reaction with other soaps?
Simple answer: Magic.

I was once a Senior R&D Engineer for a large semiconductor shop in Munich. While my Bavarian colleagues had a sense of humor, their [Austrian] PhD counterparts did not. Trivia and minutiae appeared to be their forte, while mine was to quickly develop functional, stable and repeatable procedures.
Often a trivial event produced the desired results, yet to define exactly why would take more time and effort to define than worthwhile. PhD's wanted to know how & why in excruciatingly minute and irrelevant detail; management wanted to know how soon it would be ready for use; to them 'magic' was an acceptable answer that didn't spend money resources or waste time.
As a result, the PhD's overspent their enormous budget chasing trivia, and the keys to the analysis lab were handed over to ... me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Simple answer: Magic.

I was once a Senior R&D Engineer for a large semiconductor shop in Munich. While my Bavarian colleagues had a sense of humor, their [Austrian] PhD counterparts did not. Trivia and minutiae appeared to be their forte, while mine was to quickly develop functional, stable and repeatable procedures.
Often a trivial event produced the desired results, yet to define exactly why would take more time and effort to define than worthwhile. PhD's wanted to know how & why in excruciatingly minute and irrelevant detail; management wanted to know how soon it would be ready for use; to them 'magic' was an acceptable answer that didn't spend money resources or waste time.
As a result, the PhD's overspent their enormous budget chasing trivia, and the keys to the analysis lab were handed over to ... me.

That is priceless.

As Arthur C. Clarke is reported to have said: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I'm curious because neither one of those products is lathering on its own. It would be interesting to see some pics or learn more details.

In my experience, Cremo makes a very light, super-fine froth... and that's about it. It's actually not completely transparent, necessarily.

I'm curious because neither one of those products is lathering on its own. It would be interesting to see some pics or learn more details.

In my experience, Cremo makes a very light, super-fine froth... and that's about it. It's actually not completely transparent, necessarily.
Pitcher:
Leftover after completed shave
Cremogena Lather AC.jpg
Details:
Put a dime-sized dab each of Cremo & Neutrogena for Sensitive skin into a bowl and lather. Add water 2-3 drops at a time until you get the density you want. I use bottled water (distilled) since my faucet is hard water.
I've also mixed equal parts in a small container, but it's kinda runny due to the Neutrogena, but left open overnite, dries on the surface. Either way works the same.

Todays' shave was a Tech clone left side with Personna Blue, vs Right side 1953 Super Speed with Voskhod. 2 Passes would have equalled a 3 pass shave with any of my other soaps, but I did the 3rd just because it was an enjoyable shave & I'll see if this will beat my best 12 hour shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Thread necromancy to ask about Cremogena Plus:

How many drops of glycerin do you typically add to your Cremogena blend to make it “Plus.”

Thanks

thombrogan

zOMG! The Cremogena Plus was so easy to whip into a mega-sized lather even though the first lather and residual slickness would easily have covered a three-pass shave!

It did better at protecting me from poor choices and poorer technique while still mowing stubble than any concoction I’ve used so far.

Will try the standard Cremogena soon, but now I want to see if Aveeno and KMF pomegranate grapefruit can mix to form a balanced breakfast, er, um, a similarly bulletproof lather.

Thank you, @ShaverAZ !

thombrogan

If I can sweet talk my bride into letting me nab a plastic, resealable bowl, I’ll have classic scent Cremogena Plus on deck for my next shave. And, if not, they’ll be mixed in the lather bowl like a very low budget Breaking Bad per normal

Ok, this forum just made me spend more money. Again. :jump:

I went to Walgreens today and bought Neutrogena Sensitive with a $2 off coupon and Cremo Refreshing Mint. They said they were out of glycerin but they usually carry it. Went to another Walgreens and they said they dont carry it. Then found this (in pic), one bottle left at Rite Aid. I assume this is the right type.

I saw the formula for Cremogena Plus, and to add 5 drops of glycerin, but I dont want to make a whole batch at once. So how many drops of glycerin should I add for a three pass shave? Assuming a dime sized amount of the other products. Or is it a YMMV thing and just experiment. Maybe one drop to start with and see how I like it?

thanks

Attachments

• 89B11046-EFE5-4924-B74C-8A92B56DF916.jpeg
    89B11046-EFE5-4924-B74C-8A92B56DF916.jpeg
    744.4 KB · Views: 2
While it works fine without glycerin, a single drop added to your shave bowl will do.

NOW ... just to keep you hopping, consider mixing equal parts glycerine & castor oil & add a couple of drops to any soap you have. it'll give you a finer lather much quicker.

While it works fine without glycerin, a single drop added to your shave bowl will do.

NOW ... just to keep you hopping, consider mixing equal parts glycerine & castor oil & add a couple of drops to any soap you have. it'll give you a finer lather much quicker.
Why settle for just Cremogena when I can have Cremogena Plus! At $4.79 for 6 ounces that will probably last many years, I cant go wrong.

I dont know about castor oil though. Wouldnt that clog pores?

I will do anything to get Williams soap to work for me. The only time I found it usable was mixing in Noxzema face cleanser with it. Everyone has a different method to get Williams to work on its own, but none work for me. All I get is dissipating lather no matter how fast I shave.

thombrogan

Cremogena; plus or otherwise; works great, but it won’t help you get a good lather out of Williams.

Actually, I never tried. I only know it’s considered bad for ingestion, so I‘ve only used it for shaving

Top Bottom