What's new

Cremo: very good shave cream on its own

Today I shaved with Cremo. It is the first time I shaved with Cremo in a long time, and the first time with a single-blade.

It was a quick shave as I was pressed for time, but I ended up getting a closer shave than I typically do with lathering shaving cream. I only did one and a half passes with a two week old Bic razor, but I ended up with a close shave and only a little bit of irritation. This shave cream doesn't lather, of course, and it's not thick at all, but it does seem to have tremendous glide and a surprising amount of blade protection for such a thin layer of product. And my face was left feeling moisturized even after the rinse and applying some alcohol-free toner aftershave. So I may experiment with this again in the future.

I use it now mostly as a preshave for my face and to defuzz the dome. If I liked to travel I would probably pack this and a Trac II in my kit.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
and it's not thick at all, but it does seem to have tremendous glide and a surprising amount of blade protection for such a thin layer of product
Yup, the slickness is the protection, not the layer of foam/cream/lather. Slick is all you need. Brushless creams/butters can give a better shave than most lathered soaps, but they just aren't as much fun for most.

Yup, the slickness is the protection, not the layer of foam/cream/lather. Slick is all you need. Brushless creams/butters can give a better shave than most lathered soaps, but they just aren't as much fun for most.

I was surprised by how much closer the shave was, especially with a razor not known for being a close shaver. I think maybe there was a bit more irritation, but it might be a good tradeoff, and with more practice I might get an irritation-free shave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think maybe there was a bit more irritation, but it might be a good tradeoff, and with more practice I might get an irritation-free shave.
I think you would. You are probably putting a bit of pressure, needed pressure to overcome the cushion, when you use your normal soap. This is not needed with things like Cremo that don't provide cushion.

I do a two pass shave. After that I rinse all the soap residue off and then spray on some witch hazel. With a face wet with witch hazel, I do touch ups. Zero cushion, but the wetness is enough glide with a light touch that I don't get irritated. You can get very close and will hear the razor cutting the hair.

Cremo is also an excellent pre-shave.

I'm thinking of buying some unscented Cremo for just that reason alone.

One thing I think lather is better for, is softening your beard if you haven't done adequate prep (I don't always take a shower every day, for instance). But it's hard to argue with the close shave that Cremo gives.

I've had some other close shaves from slick creams like Love My Skin (an artisan brand out of New Jersey) or Weishi's new shave cream (which has a pleasant aquatic driftwood type scent). Though both lather, they have similar ingredients to Cremo- they are surfactant and emollient based rather than soap

Not sure if it's my water....but Cremo gets sticky!!! I just hate it!!! For me and my water (even in 2 different countries I have tried it) even Barbasol from the can is better

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Not sure if it's my water....but Cremo gets sticky!!! I just hate it!!! For me and my water (even in 2 different countries I have tried it) even Barbasol from the can is better
That's strange. Are you using a lot of Cremo and a little water? I've had good success with a little Cremo and a lot of water. I do have soft water, though.

Cremo does work well but I just don't enjoy it as much as other soaps. It does not make a lather and I'm not sure where I'm shaving. It's definitely one of the slickest creams out there but it does not give me the satisfaction of a creamy lather. Works well as a pre-shave.

That's strange. Are you using a lot of Cremo and a little water? I've had good success with a little Cremo and a lot of water. I do have soft water, though.
I wet my head, then applied it, and when it dried I applied a lot more water w the hand....rubbing it. I tried the "normal" kind and then the "deluxe" Christmas version... same sticky stuff.... Water might have been filtered? Will retry w the "deluxe" version one of these days....the other one is gone.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
My skin is very sensitive to some of these; mucous membranes, too. I have been systematically removing them and reaping benefits. I prefer soap, real soap, even for my scalp.
Fair enough, some of the ingredients don’t work for you.

Surfactant is a rather generic term and not all are bad. All are useful for the job intended. You would not be breathing at this very moment we’re it not for the surfactant on your lungs.

Fair enough, some of the ingredients don’t work for you.

Surfactant is a rather generic term and not all are bad. All are useful for the job intended. You would not be breathing at this very moment we’re it not for the surfactant on your lungs.
Aware. I am a pediatrician.

I also agree that not all surfactants are created alike. I know that SLS and me are a bad combination. I also know that SLS is the harshest of the surfactants and that many/most companies have been eliminating it from their products.

There are two things that don't go together an enjoyble shave and being pressed for time :nono:.
I tried Cremo quite while ago, never warmed up to it and dumped the tube before the last move.
For me building up a lather is an essential part of the shaving ritual.
Cremo is just one step short of using canned goo:hand:

Top Bottom