What's new

CREMO SHAVING CREAM

After reading something on B&B I decided I'd experiment using Cremo Shave Cream as a 'pre-shave' and I was pleased with the results. Not only did it moisten my beard, but it also increased the amount of lather in my Scuttle. I noticed my beard felt softer, too. So, this morning I decided to finish my shower with a quick face wash, and rinse using the Cremo. My face feels hydrated and my beard does feel softer.

I'm just trying to use up the tube of Cremo while I wait for my jar of Proraso Pre/Post shave cream to arrive.

Anyway, I can confirm some unexpected benefits using Cremo as a pre-shave. At least in a pinch.

b/r

ON_1

The stearic acid in Cremo is pretty good stuff! It will soften your beard, but also helps moisturize your face. Soaps and creams use it for that property. I, on occasion, use my Gillette Pure to wash my face. I lather my entire face, let it sit for at least a minute. Face geels great! I am using up a tube that has been sitting for awhile in my bathroom, as well as using it for shaving on the weekend. I am going to use common bar soap going forward, as my daily soap. I get a great shave, smooth, no irritation. And I don't have a inventory of soaps or creams. Not that kind of DE shaver! Not really a hobby for me, but I love all things DE! I found my razor and blade combo quickly when I started in DE shaving, and shave daily. Just don't want to take the time in the morning to pull everything out, soak the brush, and such..I wash my face, rinse, lather up my beard with the same soap by hand, shave, rinse, pat dry, apply aftershave. Total time could be about 10-12 minutes.

The stearic acid in Cremo is pretty good stuff! It will soften your beard, but also helps moisturize your face. Soaps and creams use it for that property. I, on occasion, use my Gillette Pure to wash my face. I lather my entire face, let it sit for at least a minute. Face geels great! I am using up a tube that has been sitting for awhile in my bathroom, as well as using it for shaving on the weekend. I am going to use common bar soap going forward, as my daily soap. I get a great shave, smooth, no irritation. And I don't have a inventory of soaps or creams. Not that kind of DE shaver! Not really a hobby for me, but I love all things DE! I found my razor and blade combo quickly when I started in DE shaving, and shave daily. Just don't want to take the time in the morning to pull everything out, soak the brush, and such..I wash my face, rinse, lather up my beard with the same soap by hand, shave, rinse, pat dry, apply aftershave. Total time could be about 10-12 minutes.
I learned DE shaving with plain old bar soap and used it for years, because I wasn't convinced 'fancy' shaving soaps and creams were that much better. Cremo was good, but now I prefer Proraso Green Shaving Cream and Proraso Pre-Shave. I love Eucalyptus and menthol. I've also started using Alum post shave. I like the way it makes my face feel.

b/r

ON_1

Costco was selling the mango blend 3 tubes for $14.99 so I tried it. Works very well even though it isn't water miscible it is very protective.

I tried Cremo when I first started DE shaving 7 years ago and a skin reaction to it, I thought my face was on fire. At that time I didn't realize I had signed up for emails from Cremo, or it could have been spam mail also, but the email was promoting there new face moisturizer. I replied to the email and said something like if it is as bad as your shave cream you can keep it, don't remember the exact wording but I wasn't nice and never expected a reply. A day at most later I was totally shocked that someone from upper management responded about my complaint and asked exactly what my issue was with there cream. Explained to the person that I had a bad reaction to the cream and thought maybe I got a bad tube and offered to send out another, I didn't really want it but he insisted so I think they had also just come out with cooling so I had him send that. Couldn't believe it but the new tube showed up and I tried the cooling and same reaction. I replied that the new cream did the same and he offered me a refund for the original tube I had bought. I declined since he had taken the time to send out a new tube at their expense. I can't remember now how I got it but I do have a bottle of the face moisturizer, I think it was a coupon they sent me. I actually use it sometimes in the winter after a shave and after applying AS since it is odorless.

I tried Cremo when I first started DE shaving 7 years ago and a skin reaction to it, I thought my face was on fire. At that time I didn't realize I had signed up for emails from Cremo, or it could have been spam mail also, but the email was promoting there new face moisturizer. I replied to the email and said something like if it is as bad as your shave cream you can keep it, don't remember the exact wording but I wasn't nice and never expected a reply. A day at most later I was totally shocked that someone from upper management responded about my complaint and asked exactly what my issue was with there cream. Explained to the person that I had a bad reaction to the cream and thought maybe I got a bad tube and offered to send out another, I didn't really want it but he insisted so I think they had also just come out with cooling so I had him send that. Couldn't believe it but the new tube showed up and I tried the cooling and same reaction. I replied that the new cream did the same and he offered me a refund for the original tube I had bought. I declined since he had taken the time to send out a new tube at their expense. I can't remember now how I got it but I do have a bottle of the face moisturizer, I think it was a coupon they sent me. I actually use it sometimes in the winter after a shave and after applying AS since it is odorless.
I do not like complaints though CREMO was one of my first shaving products. I found it was physically nauseating to me the barbershop scent and my comments were that it was not mixed properly. Tried another batch and same thing. CREMO did refund it. They sent me a sample card afterwards. They now have a Heritage line, Reserve Line and the original line. Heritage is a Wal-Mart exclusive.

When I started I was 6 months into wet shaving. There were lots of bloody shaves and CREMO is not protective at all. Slick, of course. Not the kind of product you would need for your first 150 shavette shaves. Your first experience with Gillette blades (which in all honesty can be very aggressive) and an aggressive razor.

For newbies consider Henson AL13 mild or a Rockwell R1 plate.

Noticed they had a unscented sensitive now

I used to use it before DE but prefer other soaps now that I found them

need to play with it more as a pre shave some day when I try other pre shaves :) but for travel I have used it as its easy with no brush and does the job

my wife uses it though and does not want to mess with any brush etc... so did get it at costco recently !

I use cremo by itself to shave with. I like how slick it is and staying power in a shower where I like to shave. Makes for a quick efficient shave before life happens the rest of the day.
I've become a big fan of Cremo when I don't feel like whipping up soap lather, etc. It does provide amazing smoothness and slipperiness and leaves my face feeling great. It's also really economical and I love the scent. I want to try some of their other scents.
I use some of their hair stuff and really like it too.

I used my brush today, and not with my usual cream, Gillette Pure. Second tube, and becoming less impressed with it. I have been using the bar soap on the bathroom sink lately, and have been getting DFS's. This morning it was the remnants of a Dove's Men's Care bar, leftover from the shower. Soaked the brush in hot water to soften(boar), soap bar in palm, ran brush over the soap, applied it to my face, rinsed off my face. Rewet brush, worked it on soap bar, applied it to my face, shaved. It was a very close, comfortable, WTG shave. I kinda think I'm done with all the creams, and soaps. I did this with a razor blade that has about 6-7 shaves on it. Wilkinson Sword from Germany is my flavor, and use them everyday.

I used my brush today, and not with my usual cream, Gillette Pure. Second tube, and becoming less impressed with it. I have been using the bar soap on the bathroom sink lately, and have been getting DFS's. This morning it was the remnants of a Dove's Men's Care bar, leftover from the shower. Soaked the brush in hot water to soften(boar), soap bar in palm, ran brush over the soap, applied it to my face, rinsed off my face. Rewet brush, worked it on soap bar, applied it to my face, shaved. It was a very close, comfortable, WTG shave. I kinda think I'm done with all the creams, and soaps. I did this with a razor blade that has about 6-7 shaves on it. Wilkinson Sword from Germany is my flavor, and use them everyday.
To each his own. I feel like what you are doing with bar soap provides essentially the same thing that Cremo provides; namely, slickness. If slickness is what you want from your shave lather, either one will do.
On the other hand, if you also want some cushion, or protection, if you will, in my opinion neither Cremo nor a bar of hand soap or bath soap is optimal.

If you like it, though, it obviously works for you.

To each his own. I feel like what you are doing with bar soap provides essentially the same thing that Cremo provides; namely, slickness. If slickness is what you want from your shave lather, either one will do.
On the other hand, if you also want some cushion, or protection, if you will, in my opinion neither Cremo nor a bar of hand soap or bath soap is optimal.

If you like it, though, it obviously works for you.
I like that (1), I don't have to worry, or think about running out of cream.(2)I get a DFS everytime I shave!(3)I noticed that the bar soap does not put that "white coating" on my razor, or my brush(when I do use it).(4)My face does not feel dry, or tight when I am done. So, with all that being said, I still think that the prep is the key to a great shave! Getting the beard "hydrated", after cleaning your face to remove oils, is a big key, as your beard will stand up, and your lather will help in that regard, as well as protect your skin. This is really not a hobby for me, but I do enjoy all things DE.

I started with cremo. I think it shaved about as good as anything, but it stayed on the skin even after rinsing and would make skin slick if I sweated. Didn't really care for that.

I started with cremo. I think it shaved about as good as anything, but it stayed on the skin even after rinsing and would make skin slick if I sweated. Didn't really care for that.

I do agree it's slick as snot and as sticky to the skin too. It's perfect for me as a shower shaver. I'm trying something new I found at Walmart called EOS ultra protect. I got the deep blue. It's not as slick as Cremo but it's not terrible and easy to wipe/rinse off. I still prefer to shave with Cremo though.

Not sure if it was just me but I remember the stuff not rinsing out of razor very well. Like it would goo it up and stick in the slots.

The sensitive sounds promising but I have enough other soaps and creams to last me the rest of my life without the need to chance another chemical burn on my face.

I used Cremo for years. It was my first step in getting a better shave. When I finally gave up on cartridge razors I started getting much better results.
I use a brush and soap now and like them much better. Having been said, I could live with Cremo if I had no other choice.
I still keep a couple ounces in my "Go Bag." That with a Gillette Guard gives me a simple and cheap shave system that does not sacrifice much.

I shower after I shave so residue is not a problem for me.
I do not really care for the scent, or any fragranced stuff.

One thing that I think Cremo beats shave soap at, is cleanup. No soap scum in the sink. Just a quick rinse and done. I also found it was easier to clean up my razor... and well... no brush to clean up at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom