What's new

Cremo Original Shave Cream Optimization Results

Summary

• Cremo Original Shave Cream (in the white and red tube) was optimized with my usual process of using an initially dry synthetic-hair brush and bowl lathering precise amounts that were varied from shave to shave in finding the best combination of cream mass, water mass, and lather-building time
  • Cremo Original isn't really made for building lather with a brush, as opposed to Cremo Lathering (in the jar), but I optimized it with respect to doing so
  • The water-to-cream ratio was varied from 2 to 4 and lather-building time was varied from 75 seconds to 180 seconds. It took more time to build up some structure, but the structure was limited, especially with more hydration when the lather was too loose.
  • The highlight of Cremo Original is its slickness, which is generally excellent, but the downsides are its lather's lack of structure and the cream's residual buildup on the blade and the face
  • Ranking tests were conducted after optimization. Proraso Single Blade shaving cream beat Cremo Original because of better post-shave moisture and comfort, better structure, not having Cremo's residual buildup problem, and producing a closer shave, which made me think that Cremo's film results in less closeness. The ranking test between Barrister and Mann and Cremo Original was very close, but in the end, I had to give the higher ranking to B&M because of its better balance and easier shave. Placing Cremo above Oleo was done based on previous results.

Optimum Lather Overview

Sheen is very good. Lather is a little airy with some visible small bubbles. Lather has little structure, weak peaks, and some good yogurt-like behavior of stringiness. Lather density is great as proven by the coolness felt upon application. Adhesion is pretty good and application is okay or pretty good, but a little choppy. The scent is not really noticed. Slickness is excellent, only good or very good at its worst above the lip and on the chin. Cushion/protection is good. Post-shave is good with respect to moisture and pretty good with respect to comfort because of a little low-level irritation that develops. Rinsing can take longer because of buildup on top of the blade that happens with more time between razor rinsing. Face rinsing after each pass takes longer because of residual film.

Optimum Lather Table

full

Nice review! I used the Cremo shaving cream today with my two hands. I used to have problem with this because it turns into a sticky mess and goops up my razor. However, following the direction, I used a small almond size and lathered that onto the face. Great slickness with thin film-like lather. Not my favorite but it does the job.

Nice review! I used the Cremo shaving cream today with my two hands. I used to have problem with this because it turns into a sticky mess and goops up my razor. However, following the direction, I used a small almond size and lathered that onto the face. Great slickness with thin film-like lather. Not my favorite but it does the job.

Cool. Yeah, Cremo Original doesn't want to build much of a lather, but it sure provides slickness. It really has to be thinned out to not cause a buildup, which I knew was possible, but I never bothered using it that way because then there would be no "lather" in the normal sense of the word. I plan on optimizing Cremo Lathering, which is made to be built with a brush. Currently, I'm optimizing Gillette PURE shaving cream. I'll keep you all posted.

I find that brushes eat up Cremo cream and take away most of the slickness. The Gillette PURE on the other hand, makes a great lather with a brush and is one of the easiest creams to lather out there. It provides average slickness and lather but I love the light cologne scent and the mild menthol.

I find that brushes eat up Cremo cream and take away most of the slickness. The Gillette PURE on the other hand, makes a great lather with a brush and is one of the easiest creams to lather out there. It provides average slickness and lather but I love the light cologne scent and the mild menthol.

I use a synthetic brush, so there is technically no absorption, but it does seem to "eat up" Cremo at first. It just takes more agitation to build the lather. So far, I'd say that your comparison with Cremo Original and Gillette PURE is good, except that we have differences of opinion on scent, which we all know is very personal. (I prefer the light citrus scent of Cremo Original to the light cologne scent of Gillette PURE.)

I use a synthetic brush, so there is technically no absorption, but it does seem to "eat up" Cremo at first. It just takes more agitation to build the lather. So far, I'd say that your comparison with Cremo Original and Gillette PURE is good, except that we have differences of opinion on scent, which we all know is very personal. (I prefer the light citrus scent of Cremo Original to the light cologne scent of Gillette PURE.)
Synthetic brushes are definitely easier to make the lather. Boars basically drink up lather but I do love the feel of broken in boars. As for scents, I enjoy both of them. I tend to enjoy commercial product scents than Artisan ones although the ingredients are definitely better with artisan's.

Synthetic brushes are definitely easier to make the lather. Boars basically drink up lather but I do love the feel of broken in boars. As for scents, I enjoy both of them. I tend to enjoy commercial product scents than Artisan ones although the ingredients are definitely better with artisan's.

I can't say that I love the feel of my synthetic brush---I'm sure that I'll upgrade eventually---but it does its job at not affecting the amount of water. Regarding scents, I like more natural ones and am turned off by cologne-type ones, but I don't let that affect my evaluations since my focus is on performance.

I can't say that I love the feel of my synthetic brush---I'm sure that I'll upgrade eventually---but it does its job at not affecting the amount of water. Regarding scents, I like more natural ones and am turned off by cologne-type ones, but I don't let that affect my evaluations since my focus is on performance.

Grant,

Another terrific review! Great to see you back on the trail after some deserved time off.

You should indeed upgrade your brush. Then you could do these ranking tests all over again! Not for sanity... but for science!

John

Grant,

Another terrific review! Great to see you back on the trail after some deserved time off.

You should indeed upgrade your brush. Then you could do these ranking tests all over again! Not for sanity... but for science!

John

:laugh: Yeah! Right! :letterk1: Thanks, John, for your kind response. I stopped off at Target on the way home from work today and they didn't have Cremo Lathering shave cream. I guess that I'm going to have to order that online. Anyway, I'm currently working on Gillette PURE shaving cream. Heads up... Not very good.

Thanks for doing that experiment. I have been using Cremo (The red and white tube) for a month now as a single pass shave for those days I didn't have the time for a full 4 pass shave. It's been on a trial basis since KMF was impossible to find. I agree that the chin and under the lip area are somewhat rough with this cream. I will have to try it with a brush using your rough guide to see what happens. If the fragrance actually decreases a bit with a bush that might be a good thing since it really sticks with you.

Thanks for doing that experiment. I have been using Cremo (The red and white tube) for a month now as a single pass shave for those days I didn't have the time for a full 4 pass shave. It's been on a trial basis since KMF was impossible to find. I agree that the chin and under the lip area are somewhat rough with this cream. I will have to try it with a brush using your rough guide to see what happens. If the fragrance actually decreases a bit with a bush that might be a good thing since it really sticks with you.

Cool. I hope that it goes well. Good luck! :001_smile

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The only problem with Cremo is most of their customers can't read and put way too much on and not enough water and then sit in wonderment at the goop. Some of the best shaves I've ever had have come from some of the brushless, NON foaming creams. Cremo, Duke Cannon, Dr. Carvers are all very very good.

Also if you like Lavender, Cremo makes one. You need to look in the women's shaving section as it's apparently marketed to women rather than men.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review on Cremo. I have heard lots about Cremo on this forum but I have never seen it or used it. I have never seen it out here in Australia.

Top Bottom