What's new

Cremo for Pre-Shave - nope.

The past few weeks I've been using a "natural" glycerin soap after I finish with hot facecloth to my face, worked in with my fingers, as a pre-shave. It's been working great.

So I decided to try using Cremo in the same way. I have been using Cremo for times when I need a touchup late in the day around the chin and jawline, used brushless and applied with generous water and worked in with fingers.

Weird. Everything else I did was the same as usual. I lathered up some TOBS Avocado. Broke out a fresh Personna Med Prep in a RazoRock Jaws which has been giving me very fine near BBS shaves. No matter what I did, the stubble would not go away. I quit after 2 passes significantly short of a DFS, but stopped before I irritated my skin.

Very weird.

Next day I tried shaving the old way, and had a DFS after 2 passes. Following day I tried the Cremo and the same thing happened again. Today shaved the old way and again DFS after 2 passes.

Hows that work? Doesn't make sense to me, but it was repeatable...

And so goes my Cremo Pre-Shave experiment...:thumbdown

Last edited:
There is a deal I just saw at a Walgreen's whereby you can try that for free. Cost is $7.99 + tax but there is a card attached where the company will rebate your money. I was tempted until I saw the mostly lousy reviews on here.

I went and picked up a second tube, couldn't beat free. Card in the mail. For what I was using it for - quick spot touchups - it works fine. That's what is so weird. It worked well enough that I had the idea of using it as a pre-shave. My wife likes it too, as an alternative to lathering up. Weird:001_huh:

Another classic YMMV situation. I use Cremo for a pre-shave and it works great. Funny how we all have our distinct preferences. But that's the beauty of wetshaving. We have hundreds of products to choose from. We aren't just picking between Gillette's or Schick's 5 bladed razor.

Thanks for the input BTHB, I will give it another try as PS in a few weeks, maybe with more aggressive razor. Re: your last sentence, true that!

Could be too much cushion prevented the razor from getting too close to the skin and too much slickness prevented it from digging in to the hairs. I've had that with various frankenlathers before, though not specifically with anything involving Cremo (which I haven't tried much but it does perform well).

Exact same with me OP. I only tried it once, yesterday. Couldn't get BBS at all. Now on the other hand, with Kiss my Face as a pre-shave works great. Have done that twice before Cremo. That's what made me think of doing it with Cremo. Not a gain, KMF for me.

Could be too much cushion prevented the razor from getting too close to the skin and too much slickness prevented it from digging in to the hairs. I've had that with various frankenlathers before, though not specifically with anything involving Cremo (which I haven't tried much but it does perform well).
:thumbup1: That sounds right to me CC - thanks!

Exact same with me OP. I only tried it once, yesterday. Couldn't get BBS at all. Now on the other hand, with Kiss my Face as a pre-shave works great. Have done that twice before Cremo. That's what made me think of doing it with Cremo. Not a gain, KMF for me.

I found some KMF in the organic section at Kroger but I only saw one flavor. Somewhere on here 10-15 different scents were mentioned!

I bought a tube of Cremo the last tie they offered a "try it for free" deal.

The only thing I find it good for is shaving my head with a HeadBlade. Can't stand to shave my face with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom