What's new

Cremo Cream, Anyone?

I do realize this is an ultra hobbyists dreamland here at B&B. This is a place where we can discuss so many things about the art of shaving. But, I'm that guy. That guy who thinks a shot of Cremo in the shaving mug can work wonders with a good soap. And yes, I shave in the shower as well using Cremo. It is very slick, just not refined like a brush and good soap. So gentleman, what sayest you?

Equal parts of Cremo + and Neutrogena for sensitive skin is what I use to see how how other soaps measure up. it has more residual slickness than any other soap I know of.

Cremo is super slick and has a nice light scent. I particularly like to use is in conjunction with a soap. If I spread a thin layer on my wet face and then brush in some Arko, I am guaranteed a wonderful shave. If I splash on something that smells good and then moisturize - holy mother of awesomeness - there is nothing that could possible go wrong for the rest of the day.

Cremo is super slick and has a nice light scent. I particularly like to use is in conjunction with a soap. If I spread a thin layer on my wet face and then brush in some Arko, I am guaranteed a wonderful shave. If I splash on something that smells good and then moisturize - holy mother of awesomeness - there is nothing that could possible go wrong for the rest of the day.

I use Cremo as:

1. A pre-shave, sometimes
2. To shave with if I'm in a hurry. My only knock on it is that since it doesn't lather, I go over areas I've already shaved.
3. I add it to other soaps. Arko is one of them.

Last summer/fall I went through a tube 3017 style, 7 days/week so I really got to know it. Very easy to use, as already mentioned, just smear it on and shave it off. Excellent results: protective, no irritation, close shaves.

In the first few uses, and rarely thereafter (careless), the only trouble I had was when I used too much cream. This is a less is more product. The sweet spot for Cremo, and it’s not very large, is just barely enough to spread as thin as possible over a dripping wet face. Just a little too much and you’ll have trouble getting best results (I know, YMMV, but Cremo is a mess if put on too heavy).

At
Things that I didn’t like, although none are a big deal. Cremo and water is very slick and slides down razor onto hands which can be annoying. Just rinse off and you’re ok until it gets slippery again (btw, for being so slick, rinses just fine). I had the red cap flavor which is a light citrus scent. Not offensive but if I buy another tube I’ll try a different scent. I don’t like that their non-scented version costs more. I experimented with a brush and a small synthetic works fine. However I always felt silly because you’re just smearing a little cream on the face, not really making lather. I found it easier to find the aforementioned sweet spot without a brush.

There is an aesthetic to traditional lather making with a brush and cream or soap, but it is not a requirement for shaving. I can get equivalent results with Cremo and various brushless products (e.g., Trader Joe’s). Also, because I (now) use the same product from start to finish, I don’t think about something else being better than what I’m using, I just use it until it’s finished.

Cremo is not for everyone, but I dare say anyone else can make it work ... if you don’t use too much and apply to dripping wet face.

One more note. What I look for in post shave feel is close as I want shave ( I shoot for a smidgen less than BBS), no irritation, and neither dry or moisturized skin. Cremo is reliable in post shave feel for my criteria.

I have a few other soaps and creams I want to try and each will take months but at some point before too long, I expect to buy another tube of Cremo. I could be satisfied using it every day and stop buying different stuff, but not yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only add it to soaps to make them slicker and it does a marvelous job of that. A dollop into the bowl of recycled lather and load the brush. You'll have enough lather to shave yourself, the dog and the cat.

Reactions: Lad
Cremo creme is great stuff. If you give it enough water, there is nothing in the world that beats it for slickness. The trick is that you need to keep adding water througout the shave with your hand. Cremo works best for me with no brush.

Once I got CC dialed in, it totally completely changed how I use soaps. I face lather now, and I don't use a brush, I use my hand for lathering. I keep my lather as wet and thin as possible. Thats how I get my best shaves.

Thin, wet, handmade lather blows the doors off anything I can create with my brushes.

YMMV.

Everyone is free to choose their own whale or shaving creme for that matter. :biggrin1:

I tried Cremo a couple of years ago when it was relatively new on the counter. It just didn't do it for me. I found the smell strange to unpleasant. It has some odd materials on the INCI list. I tried it again and again over a couple on month and the large tube went to the back of the bathroom cupboard. During some clean-up, probably 2 years later, it was finally dumped and I never missed it.

I prefer face lathering with a brush by a wide margin to anything brushless.
What would I do with all my custom shaving brushes. :eek2:
Nope, not happening ... no B-S-T for my precious.:hand:

If Cremo works for anyone, please enjoy!
Happy shaving.

I tried it and didn't like it. Slick , sure, but no lather or cushion. Good idea to add to a low end soap that might need added slickness. But probably wouldn't buy again.

When i am in a hurry and don't have time for a more formal (SE or DE) shave, I'll use Cremo in the shower with a OneBlade. I also use it while traveling.

The menthol cream is good. It isn't my favorite by any means, but it is a good cream that easy to find at the local store. Solid option.

Cremo works but I like seeing some lather on my face. I can't keep track of where I shaved and where I haven't. Not enjoyable but still works.

Cremo works for me. I have used it alone or as an addition to soaps or creams intended for use with a brush. It is a good and useful product.

Top Bottom