What's new

Cremo Branded Vie Long Brushes at Target

I just saw some Vie-Long 12601's that featured the Cremo label along with tons of other products besides the creams. They also started selling another brand of safety razor that comes with a metal colored pure badger brush(I think). I saw some possibly vegan soaps,aftershave and colognes too.

I bought one of these yesterday or the day before. I did a nice little Dawn and Hot Water for the first couple soaks, she didn't really smell funky but why risk it.

I did an initial lather with about a almond size dollop of Maca Root(It lathers easy and will kill my funk!). I palmed lathered it with a wet brush and had lather front, back, and sides of my hand and forearm to my elbow with little effort. That said, the brush didn't seem to hole a lot of lather. But when I shook,it, she sneezed a shot of water and cream out.

I feel I should explain... This is not a large Brush. I would actually put it at fairly small. It's about 18-20 mm diameter and about 30-35mm long(Guestimation, see photo).

So this morning, I grabbed the brush, soaked her up,in hot water, and lathered her up with some Real Shaving Cream I had in the shower(Sorry, left the Maca Root on the counter by accident.. Both same Manufacturer tho).

I shower face lathered a well soaked brush with about an almond sized dollop of RSC. It whipped up no problem. A couple runs around the face and I was good.

Now... Strangely, the brush did not seemed particularly fluffy with lather. That's said... I got a full three passes, if a bit thin on the last pass. For a new brush, not bad.

Now to the brush... Small, but good feel in the hand. Short hairs, small diameter knot. Overall fairly soft back bone(better than VDH Badger, but barely). But strangely, doesn't seem to soft. It's not as full boned as a decent badger, but not bad. It is a bit, ok maybe more, scritch than normal. That said, not too bad. It is scritchy, but no more than a VDH Badger, with a ouch kore backbone.

Overall, day one impression was decent. Need a week or two, plus ant to see what the hair does as I have never had horse hair.

Sorry if I rambled, but hope it helps!

image.jpeg

Here is the brush with an old Vulfix(Col Conk) Boar, the Cremo, the old Burma Shave Brush, and a VDH Badger. Just for a size comparison.

I bought one. And after I put water to it. It STUNK! So I haven't used it yet. I've been going through the defunking process. But I do like it. I'm going to use it with the Cremo Sandalwood in a tub in the next few days.

I have a cold right now. The perfect time to buy a horsehair brush. I miss the grim death phase of breaking it in.

Day two was pretty good. I brought the Maca Root out and did my usual face lather. Almond sized dollop after soaking in hot water for about 10 minutes while I showered. Whipped it up and made lather pretty quick. Got a full three passes of lather(maybe a touch more) for my efforts, again the last was light, but better than yesterday. I found the scritchiness a more noticeable than yesterday, but I chalk it up to being used to silver tip badger or a couple good broken in boars.

Having never had a horse hair brush, I don't know how they behave as far as splitting ends or softening over time. Right now, the scritch is a bit annoying, but I figure it will soften over time. I am still a little confused over how, after the face is lathered, and I look at the brush, it seems light on fluffy lather. That said, I am getting a decent lather and may just be being a little to gentle with it. Maybe tomorrow I will get it splayed out a bit more and see if it fluffs fuller.

Day Three- day three with the Vie-Long Horsehair. Another shower shave face lathering with the Cremo Brush. Used the Maca Root again, but got a touch more vigorous with making lather. She seemed to develop a bit more today, and splayed the hairs a bit more with lather. I had enough for four solid passes, only did three though. Noticed a bit less scritch today, either I am getting used to it, or it is softening a touch. I did notice some of the outside hairs are beginning to curl a bit.

Well, that's about it. I will run this out to a week and then maybe just post if there is some new revelation.

...Almond sized dollop after soaking in hot water for about 10 minutes while I showered...

I don't have the Cremo brush, but I have four vie long brushes and I find they perform better without the long pre-soak. I wet mine under running hot water or by dipping it into a shave bowl of water, treating more like a synthetic than a boar. Water is added as the lather calls for it.

I don't have the Cremo brush, but I have four vie long brushes and I find they perform better without the long pre-soak. I wet mine under running hot water or by dipping it into a shave bowl of water, treating more like a synthetic than a boar. Water is added as the lather calls for it.

I will give that a try today and see how it goes.

Stopped into Target yesterday to look at this brush. The handle is plastic and the brush had an overall cheap feel. for the price I passed. I paid less for a VIA LONG through Maggard Razors

Day Four- I tried Dogwhiskerers recommendation and did not soak the brush beforehand. I only soaked for about a minute in my palm before lathering up. Face lathered the Maca Root again. It actually seemed to help the backbone a little bit, tho it is still a pretty soft brush. The scritch seemed to be about the same, noticeable sometimes, but not overwhelming. It got just about 4 passes worth of lather again, although I only did three. It appears as if the fan is starting to spread out a bit more since I got a little more scrubby with it while making lather.

It has not shed any hairs yet, so that is a real plus. I still haven't really researched horse hair, but I hope it splits or curls a little down the line as that touch of scritch is my only real complaint.

As someone above me posted, it is smallish and has a plastic handle, but it is nicely shaped and comfortable to hold. I actually thought it looked nice compared to say the old VDH boar. I am sure one could find something cheaper online, but to be able to walk into a store and buy one, the $22 price tag is not bad. Most people drop $20 on coffe every couple days, so if it lasts even say two years, that's not a bad deal.

Edit- I just went and checked the referenced Maggards Vie-Long brush and it appears this is just a Cremo Branded Vie-Long 12601. Maggards price is $18, Cremos is $21.99. That to me is within the margin of shipping and to, show public interest, it's worth it to me. Though I certainly would not fault anyone for saving the couple bucks.

Last edited:
I just picked it up today at Target, my first horse hair. Got it wet and wow... stunk to high heaven! I was expecting some smell but it was worse than I thought. After broken it and defunked I think its going to be a nice little brush. I wish it was a little heavier though.

Day Five- Again, I followed Dogwhiskerers advice and just did a minute or so palm soak while in the shower. Face Lathered the Maca Root again with good results. I think I was being a bit too gentle at first. I am not mashing it on my face, but am getting the hairs splayed out good. Got 4+ passes worth of lather, plus it seemed a bit softer today. I really did not notice as much scritch. It was there, but was noticeably less than the previous days.

I am off the next couple days, but will probably get at least one good shave in. I will post that and maybe one more.

Overall so far I am pretty impressed. Yes, it is a smallish brush. But for a smallish brush, I am getting good amounts of lather for minimal work. Personally, I think the brush feels decent, but it's not a turned handle, it is plastic. As yet, Five solid shaves, plus a test lather or two, mine has yet to lose a single hair.

I am not much of a soap person, but may break out a puck and see how it does. The brush is a nice size for face lathering, which is all I do. I think if you bowl/puck lathered, it would be awesome! You would avoid the scritch and be able to paint a lather in. When I paint my second a third lathers on the brush feels very soft.

I am gonna stick with my gut. For about $20, available locally, walk in for most, if not all, it's a darn good little brush. It is worlds beyond the VDH Badger for roughly the same price point. Is it as good as a nice badger or boar, no. But it will get the job done. And personally, for the price, it is one you can walk in, get, walk out, and go home and get down. Plus it's cheap enough to afford a spare for most folks.

I was in Target last weekend, but passed on the brush, as I have an almost identical Vie-Long brush. But I am reconsidering. I would like to support Cremo in making shaving goods more attainable. There soaps are not tested on animals. So their going with a horse hair brush, it's in line with their ethical stance. Perhaps their next brush will be a synthetic.

Top Bottom