What's new

Crema da Barba Santa Maria Novella

That's unfortunate. Before a recent trip to London I emailed the email address I found via Google and got a response within a day from a member of the Forbes family who redirected me to the director of their Perfumery who took a bit longer to respond but was very helpful and cordial.

What problems did you have?

I just wanted them to give me the list of their dealers in Europe.
I guess they just did not care to reply when they saw I was e-mailing them from Bosnia. :thumbdown

For you people who want to to know more about Santa Maria Novella, there's a small video, made for Lafco New York and hosted on the Lafco site:

http://www.lafcony.com/smn/about.htm

It's a very interesting 15 minute video. It includes a "visit" at the Santa Maria Novella production factory and an interview with the director of SMN, Eugenio Alphandery.

Lafco New York is a US company, partner of several luxury brands such as the Italian Santa Maria Novella and the Portuguese Claus Porto, maker of the Musgo Real product line.

The customer service is very good from Lafcony

They will send you samples for 2.50 a piece with free shipping and they are nice sized. I loved the lav. aftershave they make

I also think the Before/After cream is one of the best I have used when my face is dry.

I was unhappy with their shaving cream and traded it. First, I dislike Proraso and think it is a mediocre product. This product was very similar to Proraso, but slightly better? Maybe psychological since I knew it cost 4-5 times as much

Nowhere near the performance of CF and Domenico Carceni 1913

The customer service is very good from Lafcony

They will send you samples for 2.50 a piece with free shipping and they are nice sized. I loved the lav. aftershave they make

I also think the Before/After cream is one of the best I have used when my face is dry.

I was unhappy with their shaving cream and traded it. First, I dislike Proraso and think it is a mediocre product. This product was very similar to Proraso, but slightly better? Maybe psychological since I knew it cost 4-5 times as much

Nowhere near the performance of CF and Domenico Carceni 1913
Proraso used to have lanolin of its formula as well as Omega.Too sad it was removed from it.:mad3:

Recently, I picked up a jar at the Piccadilly Arcade store in London. I must admit to being a bit disappointed by this cream. It gives a good shave, but the scent is very uninspired, especially given the rich history of the firm and the wide variety of products that were on display in the shop. I expected something a bit more imaginative than a very generic mint/eucaliptus scent.

This morning I tried the Proraso soap after having used SMN several times prior. I agree with what has been said before, that is, although both are similar SMN is a "luxury" version of Proraso and well worth it. I'm sure this didn't happen by accident - SMN must have requested a tweak to the original formula (in both fragrence and performance) to suit their intended audience.

We see this done all the time with English cream, take Creightons for example. Creightons sells its own brand, while producing private label for T&H and others. Some argue that their upgraded private label offerings are better than their own. Given the added cost of T&H I wouldn't disagree.

Nice review.

Some like AdP better? Someone send me a sample of AdP and I'll send the SMN.

I get great shaves with SMN.

Last edited:
Ever wondered when SMN shave cream was introduced? I asked the question, see the reply below:

Ater consulting with the Managing Director, I was told that are more than 20 years that our shaving cream is on the market. Unfortunately we do not have in our files the exact year and date of the first sale of this product.

Kind regards,

Uff. Commerciale / Customer Service
Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella
Negozio e Museo: Via della Scala 16 - 50123 Firenze
Uffici e produzione: Via R. Giuliani 141 - 50141 Firenze
tel. 0039-055-4368315 / fax 0039-055-4222432

This would place the release say late 1980's at best.

Oh well...still love the stuff!! This is my second summer using the same tub and I'm still not half-way through the tub. Why...why does it have to last so long!!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Ever wondered when SMN shave cream was introduced? I asked the question, see the reply below:

Ater consulting with the Managing Director, I was told that are more than 20 years that our shaving cream is on the market. Unfortunately we do not have in our files the exact year and date of the first sale of this product.

Kind regards,

Uff. Commerciale / Customer Service
Officina Profumo-Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella
Negozio e Museo: Via della Scala 16 - 50123 Firenze
Uffici e produzione: Via R. Giuliani 141 - 50141 Firenze
tel. 0039-055-4368315 / fax 0039-055-4222432

This would place the release say late 1980's at best.

Antonio, thank you for sharing this info with us.

If this Barbiere Sasso actually displays all sorts of razors, brushes and creams on the window of his shop, he is certainly a Master Barber.
If you can get there again, just jump in for a hot towel shave and enjoy!

One of my happiest memories of a week in Italy was being shaved almost every morning.

We were staying in Atrani on the Amalfi Coast. Emirates had lost my baggage somewhere between Auckland and Rome and I picked up some disposables and a can of goo. Well it wasn't doing my face any good, so one morning I decided to pass on a shave and went down to the town square where I sat outside our favourite trattoria drinking coffee and eating pastries when I realised that the door over on the right was for a barber. I wandered in for a haircut but when I realised he did shaves I was in. He spoke no English, I spoke even less Italian but we managed. There was a photo of an attractive lady on the wall; I managed to communicate 'is this your wife' and he replied no and I gathered she was a television star. I remembered the words from Godfather 3 and said "Una bella figura" with appropriate gestures and thereafter we were like brothers! I went there every morning for a shave.

As I said at the head of this piece, fond memories of a special place and a great time.

Top Bottom