What's new

Creepy Crawlies!

Wow. Pretty amazing pics in this thread. But these in particular freak me out. We have them in our house. Not as many as before we finished most of the basement. But every once in a while I see one. They are fast and when they leap off the wall onto the floor they hit the floor with a distinct thud. I hate them. When speaking to my neighbors, most of them have them as well so I imagine they are typical for this part of Northern New Jersey. I never once saw one growing up on Long Island. Yuck.
Yeah the house centipedes are pretty creepy all those legs moving together as they zip around. on the plus side they do a good job of eating other pest bugs without leaving webs behind like spiders do. They're fairly common here in Indiana too.

Tiny jumping spider he was less than a 1/4 inch long. I couldn't even see the even smaller spider in his mouth with the naked eye.
P1240037.JPG

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Browsing through, I’m amazed at the clarity of some of the photos on here! Must be what a proper setup is capable of, I suppose.

My humble addition of a different kind of creepy crawlies. I’m no good at taking photos though, be warned. Second photo looks washed out because of low viz, and I couldn’t afford a strobe at the time. Supposed to be bright orange.
EBEF6A72-7FD6-4028-A221-F839C0F618E9.jpeg
4D8C6366-76C8-4C7B-8E91-822F1E634FA3.jpeg

Browsing through, I’m amazed at the clarity of some of the photos on here! Must be what a proper setup is capable of, I suppose.

My humble addition of a different kind of creepy crawlies. I’m no good at taking photos though, be warned. Second photo looks washed out because of low viz, and I couldn’t afford a strobe at the time. Supposed to be bright orange.View attachment 1095971View attachment 1095972

Awesome addition thanks for posting.

All photography is really about having or making good light. A good kit certainly helps, but I've seen some amazing macro / closeup shot from cell phones and clip on lenses under good light.

Were these taken through glass or under water, what camera did you use?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Awesome addition thanks for posting.

All photography is really about having or making good light. A good kit certainly helps, but I've seen some amazing macro / closeup shot from cell phones and clip on lenses under good light.

Were these taken through glass or under water, what camera did you use?
Nowhere as impressive as your photos, but thanks :)

Taken off Tioman Island, Malaysia; was fighting a nearly horizontal current while grabbing on to a bit of rock when I took these. I can’t remember the exact model used, but it was a Canon Powershot with the Canon-branded underwater housing - no attachments (lens, strobe, etc). As I learnt, a strobe is fairly important for any sort of underwater photography...

I was walking down the main path at Eagle Marsh (local nature reserve) yesterday and a dragonfly kept landing a few steps ahead of me right in the middle of the path. As soon as I would get 2 feet from it it would fly 5 or 6 feet and land in the middle of the path again. Then I spotted a swallowtail butterfly out of the corner of my eye. I decided to follow it instead and see where it landed. I have plenty of dragonfly pics and still no good swallowtail. As I was watching it a black streak came in from the side collided and they both went tumbling to the ground. I got some pics but not quite the swallowtail pics I was hoping for.
P1300337-5.JPG

I thought something seemed a bit off with this ant I saw pacing around on a leaf. When I got a closer look it wasn't an ant at all, but an ant mimic fly. It was funny watching it crawl around waving it's front legs sweeping them around like they were antenna. I could almost hear it saying Don't mess with me I'm an ant with big strong mandibles, venom, and a bunch of buddies behind me.
P1300562.JPG
P1300574.JPG

Top Bottom