What's new

Creepy Crawlies!

Is this a male Widow Skimmer

IMG_9361[1].JPG

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me. Looks fairly young as it ages the wings will get more white and rhe body will turn blue.

Great pic, thanks for posing!

That dragon fly was on the two bamboo sticks in my front yard for about an hour yesterday. Before that, it would come and go only a few second at a time.

When he was coming and going he was feasting on mosquitoes, gnats, and other small flying insects he spotted. When he was still he was resting and digesting. That's when they let you get in close for the good pictures.
That dragon fly was on the two bamboo sticks in my front yard for about an hour yesterday. Before that, it would come and go only a few second at a time.

When he was coming and going he was feasting on mosquitoes, gnats, and other small flying insects he spotted. When he was still he was resting and digesting. That's when they let you get in close for the good pictures.

About a month ago the neighbors bush hatches a miriod of that's and the dragon flies had a feeding feast.

That might be a carpenter bee. They burrow in the grains of wood and lay, in fence posts, fascia boards, etc.
Definitely a possibility. Hard to see the abdomen with the wings in the way. If it's furry most likely a bumble if it's shiny with ver little hair most likely a carpenter.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Very good conversation here. And the pictures are great. It doesn’t look like a bumble bee.

18D0AA1F-C500-4565-9CB5-0AFB332D9DA8.jpeg
Not as good as most pictures here but here’s a shot of a painted lady butterfly. My boys love butterflies so we bought some eggs/caterpillars to raise. Turned into cocoons and then hatched almost a week later. This was one of them as we put it in the garden to sun itself before flying away.

View attachment 997845 Not as good as most pictures here but here’s a shot of a painted lady butterfly. My boys love butterflies so we bought some eggs/caterpillars to raise. Turned into cocoons and then hatched almost a week later. This was one of them as we put it in the garden to sun itself before flying away.
A painted lady on a paint brush, I love it! Great pic, even better story, thanks for posting!

A painted lady on a paint brush, I love it! Great pic, even better story, thanks for posting!
Thanks! We ended up catching a bunch more caterpillars from the garden Hopefully I can raise these ones into beautiful butterflies too. I have done some research and I think I know what they will be but time will tell!

Thanks! We ended up catching a bunch more caterpillars from the garden Hopefully I can raise these ones into beautiful butterflies too. I have done some research and I think I know what they will be but time will tell!
Good luck, hope to see more pics!

Top Bottom