What's new

Creepy Crawlies!

Flesh Fly
P1100408(rc1).jpg

Bug and spider season is is really starting to kick in around here. I for one find them fascinating and great fairly easy to find subjects. I'm sure there are others around here who like to take bug and spider pics too, so lets post them all to the same thread.

I'll start with a few from last year taken on a cheap cell phone ($30) and an even cheaper clip on macro lens ($7) just to show how cheap and easy it can be.
Orchid Orb Weaver
View attachment 886127
Praying Mantis
View attachment 886128

Some sort of horsefly not really sure.
View attachment 886126

You have got some nice bokch in some of those photo. What lens are you using?

You have got some nice bokch in some of those photo. What lens are you using?
Thanks! The pics in the post you quoted were from a cheap cell phone with an even cheaper clip on macro lens. Mostcof other shots were taken on a Panasonic GX85 and a Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6 with 26mm of extension tubes. Usually between f8-13 some even stopped down to f22. With macro getting a shallow depth of field is easy, it's more about getting enough of the subject in focus. I have an Olympus 60mm macro on order so that's what most shots from here on will probably be shot on.

Very cool! Is that a full grown adult, or a juvenile?

Red Eft is the second stage (terrestrial) of a Newt which is land and aquatic dwelling (amphibian). They start out in a tadpole stage (completely aquatic with gills). Then transform into a Red Eft land dweller with lungs. That is about as large as an Eft gets. Finally it transforms to the amphibian Newt stage. Once it changes into a Newt they can grow much larger (up to 5"), are a different color, and can live up to 15 years.

Red Eft is the second stage (terrestrial) of a Newt which is land and aquatic dwelling (amphibian). They start out in a tadpole stage (completely aquatic with gills). Then transform into a Red Eft land dweller with lungs. That is about as large as an Eft gets. Finally it transforms to the amphibian Newt stage. Once it changes into a Newt they can grow much larger (up to 5"), are a different color, and can live up to 15 years.
Interesting. I thought they went from tadpole to newt, didn't realize there was another in between stage. Metamorphosis is very strange and amazing at the same time.

Got my new lens today, here's a couple shots of a small Garden Orb Weaver, about 3/8 of an inch across.
Panasonic GX85, Olypmus 60mm f2.8 Macro, Godox TT685o set to TTL.
1/400 sec, f16, ISO 200
P1100729(r1rs).jpg
1/500 sec, f16, ISO 200
P1100715(r1rs).jpg

Top Bottom