What's new

Creepy Crawlies!

Just got a new flash for Christmas. Still figuring it out, happy with the results so far. A couple more cellar spider pics.
P1070789(r1rs).jpg
P1070791(r1rs).jpg

Those are really cool. What focal length macro do you use? Wondering how close to the subject you are?
Thank! I use a Panasonic GX85 usually with the Panasonic 14-140 lens (micro 4/3, so double those numbers for full frame equivalent) with a 10 and a 16mm extension tubes. For really small subjects I some times us the kit lens to get a little closer. The last 2 spider pics were on the 14-140 at 37mm with both extension tubes. The spider was about 1-2 inches from the glass, if I zoom all the way to 140 I can get about a foot of working distance . For lager subjects like mantises or butterflies I will sometimes only use one tube and I can get up to a couple feet of distance. The new flash is a Godox TT350o seems to work very well just mounted to the camera even at these close distances.

Thank you, good info for me as I start back into the photo fun.
No problem, always happy to help where I can. I'm still pretty new at this too, but having a lot of fun learning. If you want to play around with Macro I would highly recommend getting a set of extension tubes. Cheap ones work well, just be sure to get the ones with electronics so you don't loose auto focus, aperture control, and image stabilization on modern lenses. They only cost a few extra dollars than the "dumb" tubes. I got mine for under $30 shipped. Have fun with your new hobby!

Here's an adult male cellar spider. You can tell by the enlarged pedipalps (extra set of appendages near the mouth). See the female or possibly juvenile male at the top of the page for comparison. The males seem to be much harder find and get a good pic of, because they don't stop moving. At this point in there life they don't spend much time in their own web, but travel around visiting females webs. It's funny they don't run away, but seem to keep charging toward the camera.
P1080947(rc3rs).jpg
P1080968(r1rs).JPG

Cool Troy!

In my limited experience with photographing insects, they seem to always want to face the camera, bees are an exception, they're too busy to care.
dave

Cool Troy!

In my limited experience with photographing insects, they seem to always want to face the camera, bees are an exception, they're too busy to care.
dave
I think it just depends on the bug. Jumping spiders and mantises usually seem to look at the camera and sometimes even pose, but sometimes they shy or run away. Usually spiders on webs sit pretty still unless you touch the web. I've seen 4 males now, and they've crawling along a wall or ceiling not in a web. Can't tell they're male with the naked eye though, have to get a sot or two off first. This is the first time I got a in focus shot, because the don't stop moving.

Summer must be here. I saw the first house centipede of the season. Tiny little guy, the body was only about 3/8 of an inch at most.
P1090528(rc3).jpg

Don’t let that thing bite you, @troy : bad news

And don’t kill it either: they eat many bad bugs
Agreed, and agreed. I don't think this one was big enough to puncture the skin, even if he tried to bite though. Which is pretty unlikely, unless you were to pick it up and squeeze it. But if he did he does pack a mild venom, not enough to do any real damage, but enough to cause some pain. I did leave him be after taking a few shots. They're some of the best pest control around, and they don't leave webs behind like spiders. They even help keep the spiders in check.

A couple hoverflies on a lilac bush.
P1090854(r2rs).jpg

P1090864(r1rs).jpg

And an Orb Weaver waiting for one to get caught in hi web. Judging from the small body size and large pedipalps I think it's a male, and I think it's an Orchard Orb Weaver.
P1090876(r1rs).jpg

An ant trying to get to the nectar inside of a peony bud.
P1090924(r1rs).jpg

And a blowfly getting what pollen is left as the lilac flowers are falling off.
P1090929(rc1).jpg

Thanks @Billski Expensive is a relative term, and you get much more camera for your money these days. Compared to a lot of photographers I'm pretty low budget at under $1000 for my basic setup. If buying used I could get similar results for half that price. Even a cheap point and shoot super zoom will take great bug shots, and can be found used at flea markets and such for for well under $50. The more you spend the easier it is to get the shots though. In all honesty my camera gear and my razor collection have both been funded by giving up the tobacco 5 years ago and squirrling the money back to buy more fun things. :yesnod:

Not a bug, but some think frogs are creepy, or at least slimy. A Northern Cricket Frog, really not much bigger than a but at about an inch long.
P1100275(rc1rs).jpg

Top Bottom