What's new

Creepy Crawlies!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Tampa Bay area. True they are worse than the black widow, but I don't think they need to inject as much venom because it is so much stronger. My neighbor was bitten and spent a month in the hospital, and he was young and healthy. I must say there are so many awesome photos in "Creepy Crawlies! "
I found this by accident, made my evening. 😀

Tampa Bay area. True they are worse than the black widow, but I don't think they need to inject as much venom because it is so much stronger. My neighbor was bitten and spent a month in the hospital, and he was young and healthy. I must say there are so many awesome photos in "Creepy Crawlies! "
Thanks for the info. I'm just inside the range of the Black Widow and just outside of the range of the Brown Recluse, but have never seen either and don't know anyone who has been bitten at least not around here. My wife sister was bitten by a recluse in Tennessee and spent a few weeks sick and in pain. Glad to here you like the thread.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Thanks for the info. I'm just inside the range of the Black Widow and just outside of the range of the Brown Recluse, but have never seen either and don't know anyone who has been bitten at least not around here. My wife sister was bitten by a recluse in Tennessee and spent a few weeks sick and in pain. Glad to here you like the thread.
Also note my information about the venom may be outdated because I researched them about 10 years ago when they first arrived in my area. I've only seen a black widow in this area once, but many brown widows. I think they are an invasive species and take over black widows, which is a good thing if they are actually less harmful, but they seem to be far more plentiful. I guess i'll worry more about the alligators around here. 😁

Also note my information about the venom may be outdated because I researched them about 10 years ago when they first arrived in my area. I've only seen a black widow in this area once, but many brown widows. I think they are an invasive species and take over black widows, which is a good thing if they are actually less harmful, but they seem to be far more plentiful. I guess i'll worry more about the alligators around here. 😁
With most spiders you're pretty unlikely to get bitten unless you accidentally grab one picking something up or put on clothing one is hiding in. Yeah watch out for the gators!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Don’t know where this came from or went, but must have had some size to set off doorbell camera adjusted too low sensitivity

Don’t know where this came from or went, but must have had some size to set off doorbell camera adjusted too low sensitivity

Cool video! From the style of web it's building it has to be some type of orb weaver. Don't you love the way they put those up right in the main walkway so you hit it with your face first thing in the morning! Actually it's because the porch light attracts flying insects, but it sure feels like they're meant for us.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Cool video! From the style of web it's building it has to be some type of orb weaver. Don't you love the way they put those up right in the main walkway so you hit it with your face first thing in the morning! Actually it's because the porch light attracts flying insects, but it sure feels like they're meant for us.

I agree on the orb weaver but must have just been passing thru. Went looking for its new home in the morning but found no sign of it. Checked porch and surrounding yard, high and low, but nothing. Having a good life somewhere but not here

Cellar spider, 3 handheld shot stack of live subject . Panasonic GX85, Pana-Leica 45mm macro, raynox 250 f9.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...__pWmgnZR5DTRu-C9C6pEHEwDmQU0nEvVcphq2O&ifg=1
P1200787-Edit.jpg

Very nice!!

This is a hoverfly over here in the UK, took this about 2 years ago now!

View attachment 1082040
Great shot! We have some that look like that too. They're are lots of different ones out there. The ones like your's are a little smaller than a house fly, mine was a little larger closer to the size of a honey bee. I've seen pics of some that look much more wasp like too. You can tell they're flies though from the head Flies have more rounded eyes and shorter antenna than bees or wasps.

Great shot! We have some that look like that too. They're are lots of different ones out there. The ones like your's are a little smaller than a house fly, mine was a little larger closer to the size of a honey bee. I've seen pics of some that look much more wasp like too. You can tell they're flies though from the head Flies have more rounded eyes and shorter antenna than bees or wasps.
Most of the one's I see look like small black/yellow wasps, there are probably a lot more varieties that i've missed though!

The venom toxicity of Latrodectus geometricus is identical to that of Latrodectus mactans or Latrodectus hesperus which are the most commonly encountered Black Latrodectus sp. in the United States. The Latrodectus geometricus or Brown Widow bite is generally far less severe than that of the Black Widow due to the inability to deliver as much venom as its cousins. The other interesting fact about L. geometricus is that they are known to live communally with both males and females, in large numbers, inhabiting the same locations.

If anyone is curious if the Widow they have encountered is an L. geometricus or not check any available egg sacs you see. L. geometricus egg sacs are football shaped and spikey whereas L. mactans and L. hesperus egg sacs are round or tear drop shaped and smooth.

And some more recent pics.
Centipede taken with Panasonic Gx85 kit lens and 26mm of extension tubes. I think the pop up flash reflecting off of the stainless steel sing really added to the creepy factor here.
View attachment 886142
View attachment 886143

Wow. Pretty amazing pics in this thread. But these in particular freak me out. We have them in our house. Not as many as before we finished most of the basement. But every once in a while I see one. They are fast and when they leap off the wall onto the floor they hit the floor with a distinct thud. I hate them. When speaking to my neighbors, most of them have them as well so I imagine they are typical for this part of Northern New Jersey. I never once saw one growing up on Long Island. Yuck.

Top Bottom