What's new

Creepy Crawlies!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Saw this at work last weekend. I'm not well-versed in bugs, but it was big. About 2" long.

IMG_20190720_235444037~2.jpg

Another in need of an ID, about the size of a quarter...

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
file1-31_B&Bsize600.jpg

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
file-44_B&Bsize600.jpg

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''dave

Masked chafer I think. The adult of one of the variety of grubs that eat your lawn-if you dig or pour soap water in an opened ended can and let it soak in the soil and find grubs emerging, you can positively id them by looking at their raster pattern

upload_2019-7-27_12-54-25.jpg

Masked Chafers

74E1DB77-348E-4EE4-8C85-C452729BF7B2.jpeg

My pleasure, Dave! Glad you enjoyed it. I saw a couple other species today, but only fluttering by. Not sure what they were. A couple yellow and black ones and a blue and black. Also a few cabbage butterflies.

Masked chafer I think. The adult of one of the variety of grubs that eat your lawn-if you dig or pour soap water in an opened ended can and let it soak in the soil and find grubs emerging, you can positively id them by looking at their raster pattern

View attachment 1002728
Masked Chafers

View attachment 1002729

Thanks, i'd say you nailed it, google found me a photo that pictured the four-spots-per-side version resting on the screen door... still. One inch long by 5/8" wide, a decent size.
dave

This Dragonfly (male eastern pondhawk, I think) was perfectly happy to pose for me. Flew off and came back several times, but wouldn't wipe his face for me. I offered a napkin and wiped my face a few times, but nothing. Usually when working at this magnification (1-1 on micro 4/3 sensor) I spot fix a spec or two, but that's not going to work here. Enjoy!

P1120052(r2rs).jpg

Went plant shopping yesterday and came home with a number butterfly friendly plants such as butterfly bush, butterfly weed and a couple milkweed plants. This morning Monarchs have been regular visitors to the flowering butterfly bush and a close look at the milkweeds revealed a couple hitchhikers, Monarch caterpillars, the cycle continues.
dave

Top Bottom