What's new

Creed Baie de Genièvre vs juniper sling

I don't feel they are much alike at all, even though the pyramid would indicate that they should be somewhat close. I have and enjoy both, but they take the juniper theme and run in different directions with it.

What I find about these two fragrances are; With the BdG, the juniper sets up the fragrance and prepares you for the vetiver base, the cinnamon is present throughout and the overall effect is a rather old school feeling, without actually being old school. A very classy scent, fairly reserved, and predictable. Predictable in that it does not present one with any curve balls and behaves, not boring or otherwise lame.

The Juniper Sling is quite dynamic and interesting, it constantly changes and presents you with new experiences throughout the day. It does require a fairly heavy application in comparison to a lot of what we are used to here, but it will last the entire day. I am certain that the apparent lack of longevity is mostly olfactory fatigue, combined with application that is too light for this particular fragrance. One of the things that I have learned to do with fragrances that perform like this is; Apply lightly as normal, wait about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes and then lightly apply again in exactly the same spots. This seems to make a world of difference.

I find that the JS is much better if you are doing something where you get to frequently move around, like from one room to the next, or around a very large area. This way you get to clear the nose with some fresh, unscented air and thereby experience the fragrance all over again. The BdG is much more simple in that regard. Once you have come to know the scent, it will pretty much be the same all day long, allowing you to bask in it's glory. Two completely different frags, but I would suggest that you will likely enjoy BdG, based on your like of the JS. However, as with all things fragrance, YMMV applies, so you may wish to obtain a sample first.

I don't feel they are much alike at all, even though the pyramid would indicate that they should be somewhat close. I have and enjoy both, but they take the juniper theme and run in different directions with it.

What I find about these two fragrances are; With the BdG, the juniper sets up the fragrance and prepares you for the vetiver base, the cinnamon is present throughout and the overall effect is a rather old school feeling, without actually being old school. A very classy scent, fairly reserved, and predictable. Predictable in that it does not present one with any curve balls and behaves, not boring or otherwise lame.

The Juniper Sling is quite dynamic and interesting, it constantly changes and presents you with new experiences throughout the day. It does require a fairly heavy application in comparison to a lot of what we are used to here, but it will last the entire day. I am certain that the apparent lack of longevity is mostly olfactory fatigue, combined with application that is too light for this particular fragrance. One of the things that I have learned to do with fragrances that perform like this is; Apply lightly as normal, wait about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes and then lightly apply again in exactly the same spots. This seems to make a world of difference.

I find that the JS is much better if you are doing something where you get to frequently move around, like from one room to the next, or around a very large area. This way you get to clear the nose with some fresh, unscented air and thereby experience the fragrance all over again. The BdG is much more simple in that regard. Once you have come to know the scent, it will pretty much be the same all day long, allowing you to bask in it's glory. Two completely different frags, but I would suggest that you will likely enjoy BdG, based on your like of the JS. However, as with all things fragrance, YMMV applies, so you may wish to obtain a sample first.
Thank you for the excellent reply, I will try to get some samples and will let you know how I get on, many thanks.

I haven't tried Juniper Sling, but I would entrust BobK's comments totally. He knows his stuff.

My gut and reading reviews tells me that Juniper Sling is a modern take on juniper, and I've read a lot of "poor longevity" comments, which is a killer for me.

Baie de Genivre is a "sleeper" Creed to me. I put off trying awhile. But sampled it finally and liked it. It's a very gentlemanly scent. A tad on the mature, old school side. To me, the cinnamon is what makes it work for me. I like cinnamon in men's scents.
Has pretty good longevity too. May be too close to a hairy chested gold chain vibe for some guys. But i think it's really more distingusihed than that. I have a feeling it's one the older Creeds that probably doesn't sell well and will be dropped.

They dont smell just like Old Spice but to me, both Fueille Verte and BdG have a kind of clean cut, gentleman aura that I associate with Old Spice in its heyday if that makes sense.

BobK1 and StylinLA, you've both made me want to try both Baie de Genievre and Juniper Sling, now. :thumbup1:

+1 I'm right with you Randy! I have a 1ml vial of Juniper Sling that I've been meaning to pick up an atomizer for so I can sample it a little easier. I might have to stop by the Creed counter and check out Baie de Genievre next time I'm at Nordstrom.

I have a sample of Juniper Sling, and it smells really nice, I love juniper. But it is VERY 'light'. VERY. I cannot emphasize that enough.

So what else has a strong juniper note, but with longevity? Besides BdG?

....So what else has a strong juniper note, but with longevity? Besides BdG?

Guerlain Coriolan, one of my favorites, has a prominent juniper note. It's well blended, with other notes including a little lemon and bergamot in the opening, but it's not overly citrusy to my nose, as the juniper comes through right from the beginning. Other notes include absinthe, coriander, nutmeg, oakmoss patchouli and everlasting flower (whatever that is). To me, it's not overly citrusy or floral, it more of an herbal, woody masculine scent that works very well in any setting and has slightly above average staying power. It's one that you can't really over apply.

Bombay Gin has (or at one time at least, had) a cologne called Infusion. I've never seen nor smelled it, but as you'd expect it's supposed to be very heavy on the juniper. Suppose you could just drink enough martinis that you began to spill on yourself too :drool:

+1 I'm right with you Randy! I have a 1ml vial of Juniper Sling that I've been meaning to pick up an atomizer for so I can sample it a little easier. I might have to stop by the Creed counter and check out Baie de Genievre next time I'm at Nordstrom.

Try to spritz some BdG on and walk around awhile. I passed on it initially when smelling off card.

TRied it again, what can I say, but you are spot on with your reply, its funny you think its gone then but when you hit the fresh air you can smell it, so will be now getting a bottle.

They both are based on a theme juniper. The similarities stop there. The Creed is worth owning, but is less likely to appeal to the masses than the Pens.

Top Bottom