What's new

Creed Aventus Performance

I just finished a 2ml decanted sample of Creed Aventus, and while I like the fragrance, the performance seemed weak.

What are your experiences with Aventus? Candidly, I can't see spending what Creed charges, but I am curious if my issue may be because of the sample I had or if it is an Aventus issue in general. I usually spray the inside of my wrist and the sides and back of my neck. With Aventus, after an hour or so, I can't smell it at all. I'm not looking to project several feet around me, but I don't see the point in wearing a particular fragrance if it is just a very close skin smell. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

lasta

Blade Biter
There's a thing called olfactory fatigue that happens with just about all scents. The reason why we can't smell our aftershaves even though it's right next to our nose.

I've given up on "performance" aspects of fragrances decades ago. If you like it, put it on your wrist for the occasional indulgence. Others will smell it on you long after you've become numb to it.

There's a thing called olfactory fatigue that happens with just about all scents. The reason why we can't smell our aftershaves even though it's right next to our nose.

I've given up on "performance" aspects of fragrances decades ago. If you like it, put it on your wrist for the occasional indulgence. Others will smell it on you long after you've become numb to it.
Thanks, good to know.

I've found that virtually all creed scents are weaker compared to similar frags in the price bracket. Going scent blind is one thing and its staying power is good as one would expect from an EdP but yes, I've found the projection to be quite weak even for an EdP. Doesn't help that its a 'brighter' fragrance.

I've found that virtually all creed scents are weaker compared to similar frags in the price bracket. Going scent blind is one thing and its staying power is good as one would expect from an EdP but yes, I've found the projection to be quite weak even for an EdP. Doesn't help that its a 'brighter' fragrance.
Thanks for your comment. I have enough options to have a pretty good idea of weak vs. strong fragrances, and I was surprised by what I experienced with Aventus. The price never had me seriously considering Creed, as I prefer having options, but I thought about saving up for it if I loved the sample. While I find Aventus a pleasant fragrance, I'd expect it to last longer at the price point.

I work (part-time) in a shop here in Sweden which specializes in ”niche perfumery”(and ”high end” shaving products), meaning high end perfumes and fragrances. Basically the same ”tier” fragrances as Creed (we also sell Creed). We have a selection of over 1500 fragrances but Aventus is the one doing the heavy liftning as it were.

I get to smell Aventus about 9999 a day. Creed no longer are in charge of their own business or branding, neither are they in charge of QC or distribution. Creed was bought by a huge conglomorate known as LVMH. They own a huge chunk of famous brands. Since about 2017-18, Creed has dropped noticably in quality. Staying power, complexity, quality of ingredients are not what they used to be.

Fragrances are made with oils, water, fairy dust and so on. Some batches of specific oils and other ingredients may vary because of the natural origins of some the ingredients. Fragrances need to specify batch numbers for the fragrance as a whole. If you turn a bottle up-side-down you can usually find the batch number.

NOW, there is a whooooooole sub community of Aventus-specific-batch-hunters. One smelling woodier, one smokier, one fruitier and so on. That scene is huge (not joking) and some batches fetch rediculous prices.

So, what am I trying to say? There is probably nothing wrong with your nose. Aventus nowadays is a weak performer and not entitled to its pricetag. Buy ”Explorer” from Mont Blanc. 90% aventus but 15% of the cost and 200% the performance and quality.

I work (part-time) in a shop here in Sweden which specializes in ”niche perfumery”(and ”high end” shaving products), meaning high end perfumes and fragrances. Basically the same ”tier” fragrances as Creed (we also sell Creed). We have a selection of over 1500 fragrances but Aventus is the one doing the heavy liftning as it were.

I get to smell Aventus about 9999 a day. Creed no longer are in charge of their own business or branding, neither are they in charge of QC or distribution. Creed was bought by a huge conglomorate known as LVMH. They own a huge chunk of famous brands. Since about 2017-18, Creed has dropped noticably in quality. Staying power, complexity, quality of ingredients are not what they used to be.

Fragrances are made with oils, water, fairy dust and so on. Some batches of specific oils and other ingredients may vary because of the natural origins of some the ingredients. Fragrances need to specify batch numbers for the fragrance as a whole. If you turn a bottle up-side-down you can usually find the batch number.

NOW, there is a whooooooole sub community of Aventus-specific-batch-hunters. One smelling woodier, one smokier, one fruitier and so on. That scene is huge (not joking) and some batches fetch rediculous prices.

So, what am I trying to say? There is probably nothing wrong with your nose. Aventus nowadays is a weak performer and not entitled to its pricetag. Buy ”Explorer” from Mont Blanc. 90% aventus but 15% of the cost and 200% the performance and quality.
Great information, thank you!

Creed Aventus isn't the same as it was as mentioned several times here. I still have a decant of Aventus 15R01 even though it's empty. Open the bottle and it is powerful! I can spray the new version on my wrist now at a store and have to strain to smell it after an hour or two. The older Creeds were inconsistent in that some are smokier than others while some are fruitier. I have a decant of Aventus 16K11 that is also strong but much smokier than than the 15R01 which is fruity. You can research the different batches but it will drive you crazy. My advice is go for the older batches even though they demand a premium price. I'd avoid anything after 2019 and focus on 2015-17 in particular. I haven't bought any Aventus in 5 yrs now.
I'm not a youngster but over the last 10 yrs I've gotten more compliments on Aventus than anything I've worn in the last 50 yrs and almost all were from women. I'm not only talking co workers either. I've gotten compliments from complete strangers in supermarkets or stores. It got to the point where I avoided wearing it to work.

It's $495.00 here in Albuquerque, NM. Had some sprayed on my wrist and immediately smelled grapefruit. I must say after a few minutes it was very nice.

Be careful with Aventus. It’s a strange one, and something about it seems to make the wearer particularly susceptible to olfactory fatigue. I recall one embarrassing story on one of the fragrance forums of a guy overdoing it with sprays as he couldn’t smell it. He ended up being spoken to, and was asked to leave his office after several complaints. Lots of people chimed in with similar experiences.

As others have said, Creed is notorious for having bad batch control and some people consider it reformulated too. Supposedly it was smokier a few years ago, that's now gone. I only have a sample of a relatively recent batch and that wasn't the strongest, quite pathetic considering the price if you ask me.
Aside from the mentioned Explorer and CDNIM, other alternative's are Lattafa's Qaed al Fursan and Dua Fragrance probably has one too. The former has saffron and feels "heavier" in an oriental way. On the other hand that makes it less fresh.
But one thing a lot of people do is spraying it on their chest, spraying it directly under your nose like that might lead to olfactory fatigue quicker than if you sprayed it on the side and back of your neck.

I agree with MB Explorer. It is similar and lasts longer.

I just finished a 2ml decanted sample of Creed Aventus, and while I like the fragrance, the performance seemed weak.

What are your experiences with Aventus? Candidly, I can't see spending what Creed charges, but I am curious if my issue may be because of the sample I had or if it is an Aventus issue in general. I usually spray the inside of my wrist and the sides and back of my neck. With Aventus, after an hour or so, I can't smell it at all. I'm not looking to project several feet around me, but I don't see the point in wearing a particular fragrance if it is just a very close skin smell. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Given the cost and quality of “inspired by” products makers like Creed are a complete waste of money IMO.

my 2014-vintage tester bottle of Aventus is still punching strong!
totally enjoy it, along with my couple of other Creeds.

Taylor of Old Bond St Royal Forest Matador Ikon Creed aventus December 22 2022.jpg

If the there are differences from batch to batch it tells me 2 things:
  1. They are using more natural ingredients than synthetic. Natural ingredients are organic and you can not expect consistency.
  2. They are going by the recipe to the exact millilitre. Therefore there the perfumer checking all the olfactory parameters of each of the ingredients are able to tweak the recipe such that it is as close to what the original batch smelt like.
So say the rose oil from from the 2018 harvest in Surrey will definitely be different from 2019 harvest. Now compound that with all the other ingredients so naturally (pardon the pun), each batch will be different.

And I love it because the same thing is with Champagne. Most 2012 vintages are more expensive than 2010. Why? Because the quality of the harvest of chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier for the 2012 vintage is considered one of the best.

The only consistency in nature is inconsistency.

I have a love/hate relationship with Aventus. Everyone loves it on me but there is a certain note in the middle that i'm blind to.
I always think that it's worn off then later i get the drydown and I'm back in business.

I really do like the scent but I only wear it when I'm going out on the town.

Top Bottom